17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, January 04, 2008

Be Counted

It's time for me to start banging my drum again. Whether your candidate won in Iowa or not, here's something you can celebrate:

Voter turnout in Iowa was at an all-time high. According to CNN.com, for the Democratic caucus there were 227,000 attendees, up from 124,000 in 2004. For the Republicans, it is projected that 120,000 people attended this year, compared to 87,000 people in 2000. Even more impressive are the young voter numbers - for the Democratic caucus, 21,000 people under the age of 30 turned out to caucus, which is a FOURFOLD increase from 2000! Okay, so I no longer fit in this age bracket, but some of you do!

So for many of you who do NOT live in Iowa, New Hampshire, or South Carolina, you have a little time. If you live in one of the "Super Tuesday" states (which includes California, Utah, New York, Illinois, and many others), your primary is on February 5th. If you don't know when your primary is, you can find out here Do some research. And if you aren't registered, make a point to register now. If you've missed the deadline for your primary, at least you'll be all set for November. This isn't written to start a debate over the candidates or the issues, but to motivate you to participate. Sure, I care about issues and candidates, but mostly I care about you exercising a precious and hard-won right, the right to vote.

5 Comments:

  • AMEN!!! You can't change a thing if you don't get out and vote. I know it's easy to feel like your vote doesn't count, but the more of us who vote, the more our vote matters.
    Thanks for the reminder! I'm glad I still have one month to make my final decision.
    posted by Blogger Normal Mom at 1/04/2008 06:41:00 AM  



  • That's a good reminder. I always tell my husband that he doesn't have a right to complain unless he votes in the first palce.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/04/2008 11:39:00 AM  



  • I am so glad you reminded me about this so I could send in my change of address in for my voter registration.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/04/2008 01:30:00 PM  



  • Thank you so much for writing this - it reminded me that we need to change our address and get registered since we just moved.

    And we thought of you last night as we watched the caucus results. At one point I told Sam, "I"m still not clear as to what these people are doing...but I bet that Marian knows! " You're our go-to girl for all things election related, apparently!
    posted by Blogger Sara at 1/04/2008 04:14:00 PM  



  • At least now I live in a state that sort of matters. Man, nobody cared about how we voted up in Alaska!!!
    But I did it anyway!!
    posted by Blogger Mo at 1/04/2008 11:33:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home