17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Card Letter

Everybody has an opinion on the Christmas card and letter. We had a decent discussion about it last year. This year I have composed a few letters for you to read. It's all about how you spin it.... Enjoy.

GLASS FAMILY 2007

January:
We had an amazing trip to Arizona to see family and friends that we hadn't connected with in so long. The weather was gorgeous and we had SUCH a great time.

January:
Trip to Arizona to see family. We packed our shorts. It was 40 degrees the entire time. It was the first time in my entire church life that I wore pants to church (for warmth) and I grew up in Chicago. I had to come back 1 day into the trip for a job, and Pukey got strep throat.
I set a bunch of goals too, one of which was to gain mental health and rise above my 2006 depression...about 50% of them I reached. DRAT.

February:
I booked my first Beauty Commercial for Oil of Olay. For the job I got golden highlights put in my hair at the salon where Gwyneth Paltrow frequents. I entered a contest for Real Savvy Moms and my video was seen by thousands worldwide. I had my first tap dance audition for Broadway.

February:
I fried my hair for a commercial that never aired. I lost a contest for the new tv host of Real Savvy Moms. I was promised a consolation prize of a spa package, which I never received...not very consoling. I got a callback for Young Frankenstein on Broadway....ALWAYS a callback, NEVER a job!

March:
After moving to NYC with a hope and a prayer in 2002, we finally reached our goal of being homeowners. It took a lot of hard work, dedication and saving, and we did it. I was offered a part in the reading of a new musical, Ripper. The girls got to go to California to see friends for their birthdays!

March:
The day after we moved into our first condo purchase, my purse was stolen right through the broken window in my car. My keys to the new condo along with a letter with my new address were taken. Later that month I was offered a role in the reading of a new musical, and had to turn it down because it conflicted with a trip I had already planned.

April:
OKAY, I'M READY was a highlight of this month. My DH, Pukey and several friends came to see my first one-woman show. Poopy turned 2 and I turned older than 2.

April:
I got strep throat on my Twenty Freakin Eighth birthday. Who get's strep throat at 28? Gosh.

May:
My DH brought us home a brand new 2007 Acadia. It's such a beautiful car and looks so good sitting in our parking spot! Another highlight of May was that I was honored with the Most Distinguished Alumnus Award at my High School. I discovered the beauty of the Neti Pot.

May:
My DH traded in his former company car for a new one. I got the results of my cholesterol labs, and my cholesterol is high. I also got a bill from my allergy tests for $1400-. Did you know it costs $400 to find out if you are allergic to Mussels? I don't even eat Mussels! Earlier in May I gave a speech at my former high school. I was over-dressed. Earlier in the month, I was on set with some crusty kids and moldy carpet and had to resort to irrigating my nose with a teapot to find the oxygen in the air.

June:
Pukey had her ballet recital and was perfectly precious in her tu-tu. We had a wonderful visit from DH's parents and they got to see her perform as well. She also started violin lessons and practices every day. Poopy is the cutest little 2 year old you will ever see. She loves the summer weather and wearing shorts. We took a quick road trip in our NEW CAR to South Bend, IN to see my mom and dad run a marathon.

June:
Pukey had a ballet recital and her hair totally fell from the curls that took me hours to put in. Transitioning into playing the violin has been an absolute nightmare, we now have meltdowns EVERY DAY and Poopy is still not potty trained. We experienced one of the hottest days of the summer chasing a marathon in Indiana for over 6 hours!

July:
After returning from a quick trip to Chicagoland for an authentic and amazing family reunion, we experienced the joys of Harry Potter Book 7 by attending the Scholastic Party in Soho. We dressed up as witches and even DH read Book 6 and Book 7 in honor of the finale. I took a quick trip to Kansas City for a job. I was at the Hallmark Headquarters and worked on some Valentine Signage for the stores.

July:
I took a less than 24 hour trip to Kansas City and did a photoshoot on a MOVING bus with no air conditioning in the middle of Kansas City. We were dressed for February weather. After speeding through Harry Potter too fast, I started having some severe dizziness and vertigo and after ruling out Harry Potter Tosis, started getting worried about my health. I saw my brother in July and cried because I won't see him again for 2 years.

August:
After battling a strange virus that left me dizzy for 2 weeks, I was able to perform in the staged readings of a new opera, Edith Stein. It was an amazing experience with very talented singer/actors. I lowered my cholesterol! The girls and I had many adventures all around the city: Broadway in Bryant Park, Bronx Equestrian Center, Free Concerts in the park, and more.

August:
This was the lowest month of the year for me as I diagnosed myself with a brain tumor, meningitis (again), MS, or any neurological crazy brain disease. After visiting several doctors and taking several tests for dizziness, it just went away. My cholesterol went back to normal, and it only cost $500 to find that out.

September:
My mom made a trip to NYC for her birthday and her first modeling job! It was a beautiful day spent together taking pictures and enjoying the scenery of upstate New York. Pukey started kindergarten at a school in Manhattan that focuses on music and small classrooms. She is thriving with her new education.

September:
We attempted our first family camping trip. We got a flat tire 20 feet out on our trip. We camped on the family room floor instead. Pukey started kindergarten and had a fake bum leg for the first week. We took unnecessary trips to the doctor and almost quit the school and the violin over it.

October:
We celebrated Halloween Glass Family Style. Our theme this year was Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinkerbell represented in a big way. We had our first apple picking adventure Upstate New York and made delicious apple pancakes.

October:
Almost missed my planned trip to California over a callback for a job that I didn't get. I cried a lot over this situation. It was another bad moment of 2007. Friends in CA were threatened by fires, it was scary. We went apple picking for a nice, crisp fall activity. It was a brutal 80 degrees.

November:
We had family in town for the Thanksgiving Festivities. We had such a great time going to the parade in 70 degree weather. The food and the company was divine and we made beautiful memories together. We have so many blessings to be grateful for.

November:
We go the stomach flu. Imagine a cacophony of wretches from DH and I at 4 AM the Saturday after the delicious leftovers we devoured. The taste of stuffing will never be the same. It was a low moment in our marriage.

December:
It is at this time of year that we pause to reflect on the glorious gift of God's Son for our Salvation. Our family is so grateful to know the truth of this Gospel in December and all the year through.

December:
How did my Christmas Shopping list get so long? How did I accumulate this many addresses? Boy, I hope you appreciate this letter.




8 Comments:

  • Loved your sense of humor this early in the morning. This year we actually did receive a Christmas letter that I have always feared would come - the family had a horrible year, with death, disease, job loss, separation, etc. I know they were trying to let people know about their year, yet it was so sad to read. I love to read the letters and catch up on what's been going on with everyone throughout the year. And I loved that our first Christmas card of 2007 was from you!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 12/23/2007 08:15:00 AM  



  • Very clever. :)
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 12/23/2007 03:11:00 PM  



  • That is awesome! Hilarious. You definately need to save that. Keeping it real.

    Hey- if you didn't have the crazy part of life you wouldn't be REAL. You'd be in Malibu Barbie-land. I personally find that I HAVE to spin things in a more positive way or I could easily get BUMMED at the hard parts of life. Optimism is a real talent.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 12/23/2007 04:11:00 PM  



  • Funny post! I personally don't think there is anything wrong with "spinning" a Christmas letter towards the positive or even mentioning an accomplishment that you are proud of....but I really can't stand letters that brag excessively about money, buying extravagant things, etc. Really really tacky.

    I got one along those lines from an old friend this year and I had to laugh because I knew the money financing their "extravagant celebrity-like life" was from her parents.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 12/23/2007 05:35:00 PM  



  • So which version did you send out?

    :)
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 12/23/2007 08:01:00 PM  



  • Realism is over-rated. The weirdest holiday card I've received this year was from a cousin by marriage. Her three darling children (ages 2 to 8) were pictured on the front and inside she wrote: "I guess by now you've heard I'm leaving [my cousin]. We'll talk after the holidays. Merry Christmas."

    UGH.
    posted by Blogger Tamela at 12/23/2007 10:39:00 PM  



  • I love reading your two versions of the letter.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/03/2008 08:49:00 PM  



  • tracy m, I don't send out letters....!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/04/2008 12:42:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home