17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dare

"Misery Has Enough Company. Dare to be Happy." I read this on a billboard today. It was a billboard for Volkswagon. I tried to find it on the web, but couldn't. I am sure Marion could find it in 1.7 seconds.

I love the message on this billboard for a few reasons.

1. My definition of Happiness is not smiles and giggles all day every day. My definition of happiness is a life of contentment and joy and a feeling that no matter what happens to you (especially the crappy stuff), you feel ABLE to possibly cope, and maybe even cope well (eventually).

2. I also know that happiness is a choice.

3. Being miserable is also a choice, and it is a waste of time. Having down days, sad times, periods of grief is productive and the necessary opposition for the smiles and giggles portions of our lives. There are a lot of miserable people out there...steer clear.

4. Because of all the miserable people, choosing happiness is quite daring isn't it? I kind of like that it has that risk involved...because there are wild and crazy darts thrown at you to threaten your very daring choice.

In the wake of the V-Tech shooting yesterday, I have been trying to put myself in the shoes of those who were faced with those bullets, and those who are left behind, and even the poor soul who was doing the shooting. Being a vulnerable human being, raising even more vulnerable human beings in this vast vast world is daring. Thank goodness we have the tools we need to cope, comfort, grieve, grow, and eventually find happiness again. That is my prayer for all of those touched by the tragedy of yesterday, that will live on far beyond yesterday.




9 Comments:

  • Oh, this is a great post. Not just because of how hard it is to be optimistic and face life with gladness, but because it is so easy to allow miserable and negative people into our lives (in the name of kindness, no less!).

    I'm going to print out what the billboard said and put it up where I can see it everyday. What a great thing to focus on! Thanks, kage...
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 4/17/2007 05:38:00 PM  



  • I found it, or at least a flash version of it. Here's the flash ad. Here's Volkswagen's website.
    posted by Blogger Starfoxy at 4/17/2007 06:31:00 PM  



  • Good post - thanks for the reminder to find happiness everyday...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 4/17/2007 07:28:00 PM  



  • Fabulous thought! (And I will say that it totally makes me think it should be a 'mormonad' for the New Era Mag.) Don't you think?
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 4/17/2007 08:08:00 PM  



  • THank you starfoxy.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/18/2007 04:28:00 AM  



  • I like the saying. I don't like it connected to a Volkswagen or any other product that advertisers tell you will make you "happy". But I am glad we can all see past that. I also appreciate the not as obvious definition of happy that Kage uses-that grieving and sadness is a part of happiness because after the V-tech shootings I don't feel happy in the common sense of the word. But misery, on the other hand, seems so hopeless. And I do not want to go to that unproductive place.

    thanks for the thoughts.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/18/2007 08:12:00 AM  



  • That is a cool saying. I too like your definition of happiness - a much more realistic ideal to strive toward.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 4/18/2007 01:12:00 PM  



  • Thanks for this uplifting post. Just what I needed to hear after watching and reading of the sad news events that have occurred this week. Tragedies and trials that strike can be heartbreaking, but there is also so much joy to be found in life. It is a challenge to dare to be happy each day, but I believe that attitude brings much happiness within. My prayers and thoughts are with those who suffered in the Virginia Tech tragedy. However, I have found that turning off the news, watching my baby girl smile, and playing with my other children has been a wonderful source of comfort and uplift. I want to enjoy every moment I have with them.
    posted by Blogger LJ at 4/18/2007 02:14:00 PM  



  • Nice reminder. I needed this today. Thanks.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/18/2007 05:45:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home