17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, April 13, 2007

Is stroller stupidity genetic?

I'm talking about the stroller's owner. Not the stroller.
See, my sister wrote a couple weeks ago about stroller mishaps and we got a slew of responses from the family about a variety of stupid stroller experiences. I thought it was funny that 5 out of the 8 stroller owners in the family had something to say--that's over half! The conversation goes like this:

About a month ago I left my nice jogging stroller at a park and didn't realize it for about half a week. I was pretty frustrated because I loved that stroller. Shane and I used that thing probably twice a day for the first 3 years of his life. Yesterday I realized that my umbrella stroller was missing. I think I left it at a different park on Thursday. How stupid can I be! The problem is that these parks are huge with separate playgrounds/library/ponds/bathrooms and so sometimes I carry Jake around and sometimes I push him and I forget which one it is when it's time to pack everything into the trunk.
--Anne

Anne, join the club. I feel like an idiot admitting it...in NY I had a cool stroller I had gotten for free dumpster diving (ok, picked it up on the sidewalk on garbage night). I left that one somewhere sometime and lost it. I can't even tell you where for sure. Probably left it in my front porch/stair area and someone swiped it and I didn't realize it til later--like you. Then a few weeks before we moved here left my umbrella stroller at a children's theatre in Brooklyn.Well, it just wasn't worth driving back to Brooklyn to get it. I have a new cheap stroller. So, I'm stupid too. I just don't have to deal with the emotional attachment to the lost stroller. Sorry for the grief you are experiencing. I should send flowers.
--Katie

Ok, I did it too. I left Liza's (or Bill's) umbrella stroller at Dr. meadows parking lot during a dental appointment. Remember our dentist there? Anyway, I remember grabbing the tied quilt off of it and bringing it inside. I should have brought the stroller right up to the door, or inside even. So pass me the dumb and dumber button and I'll wear it until someone else fesses up to losing a stroller.
--Mother


My stroller story-I used one stroller for my first 3 kids until it was so thrashed I was embarrassed to use it so I got a nice new one when Olivia was a baby. After a few months of ownership it got some serious road rash. We still drove our while mini-van and while I was chatting with a friend in her driveway, Chloe pushed the button than unlatchesthe back door of the van. I had no idea she had done that and pulled out of my friend's neighborhood and then onto Elliot, a very busy street. As I drove around the corner my back door flew open and out flew the stroller skidding down the street behind me! I had to pull over and then run out into traffic and get it. Luckily there was no one right behind me when it went flying. What would you tell your insurance, I was hit by a flying stroller? It still worked fine and I used it several more years!
--Sarah

I backed into my stroller last year. I totally ruined the stroller,and put a hole in the dry wall of the garage.

--Emily

Wow,I never thought I would spark such a rash of stroller stories...but mine has a somewhat happy ending. I stopped by the library branch by the park this morning and guess what was sitting there in the children's section. (Yes, my stoller...I wish it was my 100$ one instead of my 19$ one, but I'll take it.) As I remember that day it is easy to see what happened. Just as story-time ended Shane took off out of the emergency exit only door and the alarm went off. So I grabbed Jake and took off (out of the front door).
--Anne


So, have you lost, beat up, or otherwise been strollerly stupid? Or is it some freak genetic problem? I must know. And...is there medication for this? (It might be cheaper than buying new strollers!)

9 Comments:

  • Haven't lost or ruined one yet. Phew!
    I did, however, use a jogger stroller for WAAAAY too long as my everyday stroller because I was too cheap (or stupid) to get another one.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 4/13/2007 09:23:00 AM  



  • I am in awe at how many were lost or left. Maybe b/c you all had cars, so you didn't notice? B/c most of the time when I use my stroller it is b/c I am walking or doing the train thing. I have had mine for going on 4 years, and it's thrashed and I love it.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/13/2007 10:46:00 AM  



  • Great stories! I take your experiences as warnings to be more vigilant in keeping track of these oh so necessary parts of our lives!
    posted by Blogger sunny at 4/13/2007 04:10:00 PM  



  • Yeah, in Brooklyn I remember parking and grabbing the stroller because I didn't know how far the walk was to the theatre. It ended up being really short...so on the way home I forgot I even brought the stroller cuz I sure didn't need it to get to the car. Funny.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 4/13/2007 07:11:00 PM  



  • Gasp!! It really is genetic! Or maybe you all need a few more years of crazy mothering and stroller ownership...only time will tell...
    posted by Blogger Katie at 4/15/2007 07:48:00 PM  



  • This post b really kills me because as you all know, I am the Stroller Goddess here at Tales. Losing a stroller? Don't mind me while I have a heart attack over here.

    No never lost one, and as the proud owner of 13 strollers, I think that's saying somethin'.
    posted by Blogger Sara at 4/15/2007 10:24:00 PM  



  • I ran over my stroller after a long day at disneyland. I got the kids in the car and then just jumped in and backed right over it. Luckily there was only minor damage.

    All of your family stories are funny!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/15/2007 11:12:00 PM  



  • I left my sons stroller in a cab in NYC as we were leaving the cab for the airport. I hope someone got some use out of it! That was nearly 15 years ago!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/16/2007 06:31:00 AM  



  • 1st Stroller: My Graco gave out after less than a year in the mean streets of Queens (not sorry, I wanted a nicer, better quality stroller).

    2nd Stroller: My much more expensive MacLaren gave out after 2 years.

    3rd Stroller: Another Maclaren. This is TRUE stroller stupidity because I bought it forgetting about the lifetime guarantee the company offers. It was stolen 2 months after purchase (in Falls Church, VA, NOT NYC).

    4th Stroller: Another Maclaren. And hopefully my last....lots o' prayers to the stroller gods!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 4/16/2007 03:06:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home