17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Before I Was a Mom...

This is a great poem about moms that I can't take credit for (not sure who the author is). I can identify with everything the author has written - enjoy!

Before I was a Mom -

I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.
Before I was a Mom -I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom-
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Spit on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom -
I never held down a screaming child
So that doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom -
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

7 Comments:

  • I remember receiving this e-mail last year around Mother's Day. I cried then too. Maybe I'm too easily moved. I wish I could express my feelings in such a beautiful way.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 5/10/2006 07:53:00 AM  



  • I know. It's ALL true (at least for me and my brood).
    posted by Blogger chloe at 5/10/2006 09:44:00 AM  



  • AN addendum (sp) by Kage

    Before I was a mom-
    I could poop in private
    I could control my bladder while sneezing, laughing, and jumping on a trampoline
    I could get to the city in 30 minutes
    I could go a week without raising my voice
    I didn't know about Lansinoh Cream or Tucks
    Target would never have been my refuge of choice
    And I didn't laugh as much
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/10/2006 11:13:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger Jules at 5/10/2006 11:51:00 AM  



  • This poem brings it all home for me... my dear friend has spent 4 months sitting at the bedside of her 6 month old baby boy as he has faught infant leukemia. Life is so precious!! www.caringbridge.org/visit/curranpace

    *Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the
    park to play.

    *Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that
    puzzle of yours together.

    *Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with
    you in the backyard and blow bubbles.

    *Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine
    for the ice cream truck and I will buy you one if he comes by.

    *Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.

    *Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies,and I won't stand over you trying to
    fix them.

    *Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you
    can have both toys.

    *Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born
    and how much I love you.

    *Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.

    *Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the
    stars.

    *Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours and miss my favorite TV shows.

    *Just for this evening when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.

    *I will think about the mothers And fathers who
    are searching for their missing children, the
    mothers and fathers who are visiting their
    children's graves instead of their bedrooms,
    and mothers and fathers who are in hospital
    rooms watching their children suffer senselessly,
    and screaming inside that they can't handle it
    anymore.

    *And when I kiss you good night I will hold
    you a little tighter, a little longer. It is
    then, that I will thank God for you, and ask Him
    for nothing, except one more day.............
    posted by Blogger Jules at 5/10/2006 12:06:00 PM  



  • Woah - all of those poems are great (especially Kage's - tee hee), but BJHBHB yours totally got to me. Tear.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 5/10/2006 10:40:00 PM  



  • Oh...this last poem really got to me. Stepping over the laundry, moving away from the computer, turnign off the phone...and simply BEING there for my children. Blowing bubbles. It occured to me today that there will come a day that my DS will not plead with me to play with him, that my DD will not follow me around the house. I have a finite amount of time to "play" with my kids...and I need to start doing it more.

    Thank you for the reminder to simply BE.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 5/10/2006 11:00:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home