17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Demolition



Ok so it's not quite the kind that you see on Extreme Makeover Home Edition, but it was a little piece of demo in my tiny domain that I call home.

My apt. is really nice on the inside...new appliances, newly refinished, hardwood floors, all that jazz... but the entryway, garage and stairs leading up to the apt. look like armageddon. In fact when I recently had the princess party for Pukey, I made sure that the moms actually trekked the 3 flights up to my apt. to see that their children would be safe in my home because judging by the entryway, I would have my doubts if I were the mom.

In an effort to spruce up my portion of the stairwell, I created an art wall. I had just finished painting Pukey and Poopy's room blue and had some leftover paint, so I painted frames on the wall outside of my door with the idea to tape art projects inside them. I got this idea from a magazine article (I think Mary Engelbreit) years ago (see photo above). I save articles/ideas that I like from magazines in a binder, so that I don't have to keep the whole magazine, and found the photo again in that binder.

The art wall eventually exploded into an entire corner. I would rotate art projects, but we just couldn't part with many of our favorites. Everytime I walked up my stairs, I loved seeing our creation. It made me smile and excited to be home. Since Carrie moved the super has been back to fix some of what he started (4 years ago) and one of the projects is to paint the walls of the stairwell. So, last night I had to take down our beloved art wall. I decided to put some of the creations on our front door, but I will really miss that welcoming sight. I am looking forward to when I have more space to call my own and I can create a more permanent Art wall, but for now it will just have to be an art door.

10 Comments:

  • So sad to see the art wall go. It was really cool.

    cc-I love the posters they make at the website you linked. Really cool idea once dd's pictures become a little less scribble-scrabble.

    Something that I have purchased as a gift for a mom-friend (and I still want it for myself) is a Li'l DaVinci Art Cabinet. It's a frame that opens on hinges from the front. You can display the latest piece of art and also store up to 100 other masterpieces behind it. I think it is a pretty nifty idea!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 5/02/2006 10:56:00 AM  



  • I love where this is going...hopefully we will get more great "kid art in your home" ideas. These two already mentioned are tops.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/02/2006 12:13:00 PM  



  • I did love the art wall and it was a happy way to be welcomed to Kage's house.

    The other day at IKEA, I found some cord and mini-clothespins decorated with ladybugs and other things for 99 cents in the kid's section.

    Off subject, does anyone else's word verification have a mini handicapped sign underneath where you type in your word verification? Random!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 5/02/2006 06:14:00 PM  



  • On Jen's random note - click on the handicapped sign, it gets even weirder!

    My guess is that it is for sight-impaired users who use a program that "reads" the page to them. Because the word verification word is actually an image, it can't be "read" by that kind of program, so they have to give an alternative code for them to use. That's just a guess though.
    posted by Blogger marian at 5/02/2006 06:39:00 PM  



  • Kage, did I happen to see you on runway moms today? I thought I recognized the red preggo picture from one of your posts. I am a fan of tales from the crib and I comment every now and then. I am not just a lurker, I love all of the ideas that come out of this blog.
    posted by Blogger Heather at 5/02/2006 07:48:00 PM  



  • heather, wow...this demolition post has certainly gone a variety of directions....and to answer your question: YES
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/03/2006 04:38:00 AM  



  • You were great in the program and I really liked how you talked about being LDS. I also loved that picture, I think thats why it set off bells in my poor pregnant head (It was almost a miricle that I could remember where I had seen it because I can hardly remember anything important nowdays).
    posted by Blogger Heather at 5/03/2006 07:04:00 AM  



  • RUNWAY MOMS

    My anonymity isn't even hanging by a thread now...oh well...I guess...
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/03/2006 08:56:00 AM  



  • Have you New Yorkers taken your kids to the Childrens Museum of Art down in the village? I am sure you have. I took my nieces there and they loved it. What a great idea for a museum. The walls have kids art projects all over and there are several stations set up with different projects for the kids to do. Good times.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 5/04/2006 12:48:00 PM  



  • Wonderful. I framed a few pictures my kids drew and they are up on my wall. Both girls will look at them and say..."I could do that so much better now."
    posted by Blogger annegb at 5/07/2006 05:17:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home