17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, April 24, 2006

My babies...are gone?

I think that my babies are gone. In the space of one month, my two little people have gone from a toddler and a baby to a kid and a toddler. My 3 year old has become master of the potty and trots around in his adorable underwear, so proud of himself. Today for the first time I let him walk around Target AND Home Depot to run errands instead of riding in the cart with his little sister. I could feel myself giving up the reins as I got him out of the car and announced "Well, you're a big boy now, so you can walk instead of sitting in the cart, OK?" You would have thought I had given him a 5 pound bag of chocolate he was so happy and proud of himself. And I was proud of myself for letting him go a little. And wouldn't you know it, he did great? Listened, helped, chatted with me. My big boy...

Tonight we moved our 19 month old daughter into a big girl bed. Instead of tears and worries, she strapped on her Mary Janes and jumped on that bed for 30 minutes, laughing and screeching with delight. And when it was bedtime she pulled up the blankets, said "Nigh-Nigh" and plugged in her thumb. As if she had been sleeping in a bed all her life.

As I walked out of her room, I began to reflect on the changes in our children in the last 30 days. No more diapers for one, no more highchair, no more crib, no more double stroller. Personalities developing and solidifying right before my eyes. And I realized I'm just a guide on this road. As type A as I am, I'm not in charge of these people - they are in charge of themselves. And they don't need me for certain things anymore. They are fine with change and in fact welcome it.

I wanted a break from baby "stuff" before preparing to have a 3rd which was why I moved my ltitle girl to a bed when I did. And yet...I miss that crib now. I miss the highchair. I even miss the stupid diapers for my son. Because it signals the end of an era for them, my babies. And my heart hurts a little for it.

I think I'm going to go into my daughters room now and watch her sleep...in her big girl bed. Nigh-nigh, little one.

9 Comments:

  • My youngest turns 12 this month and it's freaking me out. I can't have all teenagers! How did that happen?
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/25/2006 06:28:00 AM  



  • 3rd???
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 4/25/2006 07:39:00 AM  



  • Z, just thinkin' not doin' :)
    posted by Blogger chloe at 4/25/2006 08:50:00 AM  



  • Z-I am pretty sure this is NOT an announcement, but chloe you better clarify if this is a sneaky way to say you are pg. I think you went on a little trip this past weekend sans kids...maybe that was a new beginning....?

    I say to my kids constantly: STOP GROWING.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/25/2006 08:51:00 AM  



  • oops, chloe must have posted at the EXACT same time as me...woops
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/25/2006 08:52:00 AM  



  • In February, I was lamenting over the fact that we had to replace my 3 year old daughter's wardrobe for the 3rd time in 6 months. I told my daughter that she needed to stop growing! Her reply was "But Mom! How would I ever help with the babies if I was a baby?" I smiled at her amazing ability to comprehend so much and said "I don't know!" She then said "It's a good thing I'm a big girl!" That is her favorite thing to say when she's proud of her "big girl" accomplishments. You know, I am certainly glad I have a big girl to help out when the twins arrive!!!
    posted by Blogger Tandy at 4/25/2006 12:49:00 PM  



  • No Kage, not an announcment. I wrote this post last night in the middle of my emotions about transitioning DD into her bed so I didn't choose my words as carefully as I should have. But we are starting to move in that direction, rolling around the number 3 to see how it feels.

    And my trip sans children was WONDERFUL.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 4/25/2006 01:05:00 PM  



  • #1 had her Kindergarten physical with her doctor today.

    KINDERGARTEN!

    The time does fly...oh, how it flies. #3 can now walk through the parking lot while holding my hand. #1 can run down the street to her friend's house. #2 is potty trained and talks like she's 14.

    Too fast, I tell ya'...too fast.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 4/25/2006 02:29:00 PM  



  • I think my little guy is growing up too fast and he is only 8 weeks old. I can already invision myself crying my eyes out in the car after I drop him off to kindergarten for the first time. Of course the goal is for him to be an independant person in this world, but it's still sad to see not only how fast they grow, but how TIME FLIES! The best part is that there seems to be something awesome about every age. Great post. And I'm glad you guys had such a great time on your weekend without kids! I need one of those vacations right about now.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 4/25/2006 02:46:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home