17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Makeup Part 2: Drugstore Finds

So I took a few minutes today and perused the makeup aisle of my local drugstore. I found a few items that looked intriguing, especially pertaining to our makeup thread last week. Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with these items, they just caught my eye as a consumer.

Physician's Formula Concealer Palette
There were only a few left at the store, which could indicate that it is popular. This looked like a great tool if you really struggle with blemishes and wildly colored skin, or if you want to be really precise when it comes to concealing. Also if you are struggling to find one concealer that is right for you, this allows you to blend colors to make your own perfect match.

Prestige is a cosmetics brand that I had not previously heard of. I find their website to be a little too much, but I was able to find the products that caught my eye on a different website.

First the iQuad. Face it, it's just cute. Who knows if the shadow is any good? But it does allow you to play with color b/c there are both highlights and shadows in this quad. The shade REWIND caught my eye as a nice neutral set.

Revlon Illuminance caught my eye on the web. These palettes have 4 shadows that range from barely there to pop, so with one purchase you can have a lot of fun experimenting. I also like that these are cream shadows. You can use your fingers to get the perfect blend and then brush a light shadow over them if you want to really blend it into your eye.

I have been reading a lot about minerals in makeup lately. I am not sure exactly what this means, but something made me red-flag it in my brain for when/if I have skin problems again. I think these are supposed to be good for troubled skin. Anyone have experience with them? Anyway, Neutrogena's mineral sheers caught my eye, but I found it to be a little pricey just for an experiment. On this website it was 3 dollars cheaper than at my local drugstore.

Cover Girl's Outlast Foundation looked intriguing, especially when the base had an SPF of 14 in it. Check it out.

Maybelline Expert Wear in Indian Summer looked like an ice shadow duo for one starting out with 2 eye shadow colors.

And finally, I think I actually might go back and buy this. Revlon Brow Fantasty. Come on, who doesn't fantasize about the perfect brow? It has a pencil and a gel to not only color, but sculpt as well. I am definitely going to try this.

Let me know if you try it too.

8 Comments:

  • I'll have a few more thoughts I'm sure (as most of my makeup is drugstore-bought) but my first quick one is this:

    HIP eye shadow - I believe this is L'oreals cheap answer to the MAC pigment powders that I know you were a fan of. The HIP is pressed, not loose, but it's my experience that it is a much more intense color, and also lasts a lot longer than a regular shadow. Not for the complete beginner, but a fun tool to play with. I have the "Sassy" combo, and I'll use the tan shade on the lid and the teal as an eyeliner - with a small wet brush. A fun color punch that stays on all day.

    I haven't used the Neutrogena mineral sheers that you mentioned, but I'd definitely give them a try. I have the i.d. bareMinerals powder -recommended to me by zinone - and I like it a lot. Very sheer powder that goes a long way towards evening out my skin tone. I bet the Neutrogena would be similar, at a lower price.
    posted by Blogger marian at 4/15/2006 11:19:00 AM  



  • I am by all means no make up expert...or really even close, but:

    I have found that the walgreens in my area is pretty good about letting you return/exchange something if it doesn't work out for you, for whatever reason. Because of this it is easier for me to try some of these cheaper alternatives in the make up area. I hve three different colors of eye shadow by prestige and I like them, they don't crease and they last all day. The only thing that I sorta dislike is that the one I have with glitter/sparklie stuff seems to get the glitter everywhere, so I have to be careful to only get it on my eyes. So that brand has worken for me so far...and if you get it or anything at walgreens you can take it back if it doesn't work out.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/15/2006 03:07:00 PM  



  • marian, I saw the HIP and I loved it, but the little carrie on my shoulder was telling me: This is not for everyone, so I didn't mention it.

    Beanie, a trick from the industry...dust some loose powder under your eyes...leave it really clumpy. Then apply your eye makeup, the glitter and extras will land in the powder, and then brush the powder off your face.

    And I HEART Walgreens.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/15/2006 05:52:00 PM  



  • I had a makeup artist do this on me recently, she put the FULL eye make-up on before the face, so the extras that landed on my upper cheeks didn't matter. She just wiped them off and then applied the foundation and powder. It looked very fresh.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 4/15/2006 10:27:00 PM  



  • rachel h -That is also a good technique...
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/16/2006 10:32:00 AM  



  • Picked up the BROW FANTASY yesterday and I like it. I need to work with it a little more to get the pencil feathering just right, but it's a nifty little product.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/27/2006 04:09:00 AM  



  • Eye Color: A new product by Almay called the Play it Up Collection. You buy the eye makeup based on your eye color...looks like fun.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/04/2006 07:25:00 PM  



  • -Thank you for your guidance and support.Thank you for providing such a valuable information.to get buy medicine online from Online medicine store in USA.

    posted by Anonymous super vidalista reviews at 7/15/2020 08:05:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home