17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, April 28, 2006

My Poetic Tribute to NYC

The attraction to this place for so many?... not sure.
The reasons I'VE learned to appreciate New York are pure.

The smell at Herald Square subway station leaves it's mark...
But there is nothing quite like the beauty of Central Park.

Lugging a stroller up the subway stairs impossible nearly...
The unlikely stranger that swoops in to help, an angel clearly.

The bitter temperatures November to April, I could do without...
The first blanket of snow however is beautiful no doubt.

Too cold to actually go out and do holiday shopping...
But the department store windows are definately worth stopping.

The terror that fell on this city September 11th was tragic...
The way New Yorkers come together during moments like this is magic.

Grocery stores, if you want to call em that, where your stroller can't make the isle...
Are very convenient on every block and being open all hours is worth my while.

Out on the street you hear every language spoken, but your own...
The beauty of this diverse place is unlike any I have ever known.

Raising your babies here is a daunting, challenging and quite a task...
There are so many willing when you need help, all you have to do is ask.

The summers, sticky and gross, and hot as, well you know...
In the evening though, I do love the fireflies all a glow.

The amount of money spent on parking tickets is atrocious...
Having to drive here has made me more ferocious!!

I hate this place, I really do...
I think I love this place, so will you.

12 Comments:

  • Well well well, Miss Z. I never thought I'd read the words "I think I love this place" coming from you! I'm glad that you are coming to love NY - you captured it beautifully in your tribute.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 4/28/2006 09:08:00 PM  



  • Z....ah those first dog days when you moved here....I never expected LOVE to be uttered and in poem form no less? WOW. I thought maybe it was us tales girls that made you love NYC...but it turns out that the pee-smell on the vators and the bitter cold do have the ability to turn the hearts of its children.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/29/2006 03:16:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 4/29/2006 06:13:00 PM  



  • I was going to say that I am so glad this is somewhat anonymous. I am not a poet whatsoever!!! AND, just to set the record straight, I don't love NY persay but I DO love the people I have met here, I love that I have had my babies here... and I love the pizza. It really is such a love hate relationship with this place.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 4/29/2006 06:18:00 PM  



  • I definitely understand the love/hate relationship with this city. You captured it well!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 4/30/2006 09:39:00 AM  



  • Ditto on the "love/hate" relationship with NYC. It's not a convenient, "nice" place to live. But there's something about it that tugs at your soul and makes you feel like you're really living in the world rather than just driving by it on a suburban street. I was remembering the other day--as I passed all the gorgeous blossoms that grace northern Virginia at this time of year--my walk from home to the school I taught at before leaving NYC: it consisted of a treacherous crossing under the subway line at Queensboro Plaza and then walking along Queens Blvd (known as the Blvd of Death), across a bridge (often icey), and down Thomson Ave--it was a miserable, gray, industrial, filthy, smelly walk always accompanied by wind, the noise of traffic, and a few sketchy looking characters. I hated that walk, especially on rainy, snowy, or just cold days. I can't say that I found anything redeeming about the walk thinking of it in retrospect, but I do remember it with a sense of having really lived it, having braved the elements, having really connected with the city and the people around me. I don't think I will remember my trips to Target that way. And certainly, that miserable walk made all the lovely spots in NYC that much more glorious.
    posted by Blogger sunny at 4/30/2006 10:23:00 AM  



  • I will admit to having coerced Zinone into sharing her NYC poem as this month's tribute. I'm glad she agreed to do it even though I know she really didn't want to. I think it captures the dichotomy of the city just perfectly!

    I miss you NYC! Sort of.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/30/2006 12:39:00 PM  



  • I agree with Carrie - I miss you NYC... well, sort of! The thing I'm realizing is that I now feel the exact same way about living in LA. There's always something you love (like the beach) and something that gives you a splitting headache (like the traffic!) Can't we ever win????
    posted by Blogger Beth at 4/30/2006 02:34:00 PM  



  • We were in New York this weekend to see Harry Connick Jr. in "Pajam Game" on Broadway (He was fanstastic, by the way). We took the time to check out the temple, and then meander through Central Park up to the Met. I saw lots of women pushing strollers around, and thought of you Tales gals. I even wondered if I was passing a few of you when we walked by some totally Mormon looking mommies around Lincoln Center. I can see how New York would be a difficult place to raise a kid, but a place that could really get you hooked at the same time.

    Not saying that I would want to live there, mind you, just saying I started to understand what you guys are talking about here.
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 5/01/2006 09:47:00 AM  



  • Heather O...we don't look like mormon mommies....we look like nyc mommies.... : )
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/01/2006 10:54:00 AM  



  • Sorry, Kage. I should have said, "chic mommies who happened to be hanging around the Mormon temple".
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 5/01/2006 01:10:00 PM  



  • that's more like it...
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/01/2006 02:19:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home