17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Don't I Get Workers Comp For This?


You’d think being a mom would be a pretty safe gig. Kage recently wrote about a near-catastrophic injury she had getting off a city bus with her kids. I, as well, have recently suffered a mommy-related injury. Not nearly as dramatic as Kage’s story . . . but serious enough that it will require surgery to fix.


We recently moved into a two-level townhouse and my kids are fascinated with the stairs, as they have never before had such easy access to a staircase. We originally bought child-proofing gates, but we are up and down the stairs so much, they became an annoyance and we aren’t consistent about keeping them up. I was in a bedroom kneeled down on the floor picking up toys when I noticed 17-month-old Asher moving at full speed, preparing to kamkaze down the staircase. I jumped up after him and immediately felt my knee pop. When Asher heard my shriek o’ pain he stopped long enough for me to intercept his fall. Then there was swelling, bruising, and now my knee pops out of place whenever I bend it at a certain angle and I have to manually move it back into place.

According to the doctor, I have a “bucket handle” tear in the meniscus of my left knee. The tear causes my knee to “catch” and “pop” out of place temporarily. Let me tell you about the pain. It makes me cry for my own mama every time it pops out. I can’t completely blame the child. I have a long history of injuries to this knee, which date back to my more athletic days in sports. This will be surgery number five on this knee in the last 8 years.


So it looks like I’m going to be dusting off my crutches and looking forward to that complementary bottle of post-surgery Vicodin in the near future. . . .

I know there are some good tales out there that need a tellin’ about your own mommy misfortunes. What kind of injuries have you suffered at the hands (or knees, in my own case) of your kids?

I don’t know about you, but I am going to demand hazard pay in my next round of mommy contract negotiations.

4 Comments:

  • Jen, I am wincing just reading this.

    Injuries:

    My wrists have never been right since my first baby, still wear a brace when I use the computer.

    With baby #2 I have "thrown out" my back a few times, it is WAY sensitive. If I don't watch out, I fear this will be my demise.

    Bruises, lots and lots of em.

    But nothing like surgery, and I cannot imagine crutches combined with your two boys. yikes. I am so sorry babe.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/04/2006 11:23:00 AM  



  • So far, I am injury free. Although I just got over Mastitis. HORRIBLE. Not an injury but a mom induced sickness. Yikes.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 5/04/2006 12:41:00 PM  



  • Oh Jen, that sucks. I HATE knee pain and you've certainly had your share.

    I have carpel tunnel that was pregnancy induced and is now with me all the time. It's exacerbated by my work (sewing and cutting fabric) so I wear wrist braces to sleep every night. That gets really sexy in bed, let me tell you :)

    I also developed sciatica when prego with #1 (nearly 4 years ago )and it has only recently begun to heal through many visits to the chriopractor (THANK YOU chiropractors - someone needs to spread the gospel of the wonder crackers). So both prego induced.

    But no need for surgery or crutches. Ugghhhh, so sorry Jen!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 5/04/2006 05:13:00 PM  



  • Surgery!!?! I think you win when it comes to "on the job" injuries.

    The latest one I can think of was having a new box of brown sugar dropped on my foor by Princess who was riding in the shopping cart. The corner of the box hit right on the top of my foot with surprising force. I really had to fight back the tears and to hold back the swear words because it hurt BAD. I finished my shopping with a horrible limp and by the time I got home, my foot was already starting to swell. I could only wear flip flop for two weeks after it happened. My whole foot turned blue and green. Yuck!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 5/05/2006 09:36:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home