17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Swimsuit Model no more



So I am what they call a commercial print model. I am the woman who looks decent enough to sell a product but does not have what it takes to be a model, model, model, as I call them. In other words, I am at a healthy weight, and I cannot remember a time when I didn't have cellulite.

I have always been interested in the Beauty Industry, and dreamed of being a model, but I did not aspire to it until I lost about 20 pounds after giving birth (please don't hate me). I have been doing it for a little over 2 years now, and having a great time.

I was recently chosen to participate in a swimwear story for Prevention magazine. I was a little apprehensive about it, but have similar feelings as Jen when she posted about loving her body post-babies, and so I am pretty comfortable with my body. Seriously if I can poop, pee and puke on another woman (my poor poor midwife), and groan (like some animal I am certain is extinct) while giving birth, I can literally do anything, including pose in a swimsuit for the world to see.

When I arrived to the set, it was a full circle moment for me because about a year to the day earlier, I shot a story for them about eating eggs while pregnant, and I was VERY pregnant. It was nice to walk in with my body "back" one year later. It was a day of firsts for me b/c I had never had my entire body bronzed, I had 16 inch hair extensions (for a previous job), that had never been photographed, and I would be wearing a variety of swimwear.

I was slightly nervous at first, but I ended up having a great time on set and feeling beautiful to boot. I learned where to place my body so that I looked the most flattering, and there was even a wind machine. Whenever the "you look so ugly in a swimsuit" thoughts crept in, I just reminded myself that photoshop was my best friend, and they could edit out the flaws. It was a good lesson for me to know that when I am feeling down about anything (especially when it comes to my MOTHERING), I can just be my photoshopped self until I figure out how to strengthen my weaknesses...but I digress.

The client seemed happy with the photos, and I thought the polaroids indicated that I looked good. Oh by the way, the story (if you click on the link you will see) was about choosing a flattering swimsuit for your figure flaw. My figure flaw?....drumroll please....SMALL BREASTS (among other things). And I left feeling on top of the world that I had conquered a fear and that I would be able to share that publicly...and my boobs did look a little bigger.

I got on the website today to check for the photos, and (gasp) they re-shot my portion with a different model. There I was clicking away and another model had on every single suit that I modeled. Don't worry, I still get paid and everything, but my ego was bruised. I was willing to conquer my fear of not only appearing in a swimsuit but being photographed for all to see, and then I was given the shaft. My wise mother suggested it was divine intervention (ok there were a few rather skimpy bikinis), but I was a little bruised nonetheless.

I think it is safe to say that was my first and last swimsuit modeling job....ah...it was fun while it lasted.

12 Comments:

  • Ok, so I'm a little confused. The two pictures at the top of this post--is that you?!? You look that good after giving birth--twice? Wow, I'm totally impressed. And if that is you, you look much better than the model on the page you linked too, seriously. Sorry you got the shaft.
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 5/07/2006 08:41:00 PM  



  • You go girl!! You look great and are an inspiration to all the rest of us mommies. I'm confused about the shaft thing too??? Any other pics we can be inspired by?? We don't care about the "real" models anyways! :)
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5/07/2006 08:48:00 PM  



  • Kage,
    AAAH! I totally feel for you. My main difference would be that I honestly look NOT GOOD in any bikini...so no one would ever try to shoot me for that! But a funny experience. You can cheer yourself up by remembering all the WONDERFUL TALENTS that I know of...that I personally compare to and say WOW! You have it totally going on girl!=) No worries there.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 5/07/2006 08:49:00 PM  



  • I know, I know, not that I should be comparing... but you really are talented!!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 5/07/2006 08:51:00 PM  



  • Kage - First, you look awesome in the pics! The industry is so tough sometimes. You have thicker skin than I ever would in your situation. It's so hard to be measured by how you look on a daily basis I would think. Second, this reminds me of that story I think I already told you about when I got my photos taken for expecting models. You would think the one time in your life you wouldn't have to be incredibly self conscious about your body it would be when you're pregnant. I mean you're preggers, right? Of course you're gonna have a little cellulite and a fuller face! Anyway, I had to get my pics taken with a bikini on. And this was when I was 4 months preggo, so it's during that time when you just feel FAT and not exactly pregnant yet. I was so nervous and almost backed out. I ended up going to the session and totally overcoming a HUGE fear of 1) standing in a swimsuit in front of someone with no skirt/towel/wrap to cover up my bum and 2) actually having that PHOTOGRAPHED! Needless to say though, I was not chosen to be an expecting model. Oh well... wasn't meant to be I guess. But at least I accomplished something I NEVER thought I would. Gotta look on the bright side in those situations. But still, modelling can sure be a tough business.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 5/07/2006 09:35:00 PM  



  • That's a total bummer Kage. You can blame it on my bikini :) I have been looking for the magazine in the grocery store for the past few weeks because I knew it was coming out soon. I guess I'll go back to spending my "line-waiting time" to reading headlines of Star magazine.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 5/07/2006 09:48:00 PM  



  • Confusion Clarification:
    The two pix are me. the one on the left is a polaroid from the shoot. I was being silly as you often can during polaroids. The one on the right was WHILE I was pregnant about one year earlier from the one on the left. If you link to the page, choose SMALL BUST and then #4 to see the new model in the exact swimsuit that I am wearing in this polaroid.

    4girls-I got the shaft b/c I was not published. And yes there are more photos...you have to find them yourself!

    Rachel H-And as far as the bikini shots, there was a lot of sucking in involved...but b/c I have been singing all my life, I do have a slight one-up on the abs. And Rachel you are a hot mama yourself!

    Beth-also a hot mama, Expecting Models can be a little gritty sometimes. Jen will remember walking in the park with me at about 7 weeks out of giving birth and them asking me for my measurements....my reply? I don't know...and I just started making up numbers.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/08/2006 06:42:00 AM  



  • And give those of us trying to lose our post-baby weight some advice as to how you lost 20 LBS!!!! That's probably another post in itself.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 5/08/2006 08:52:00 AM  



  • Maybe they wanted short hair Kage?
    posted by Blogger ESOdhiambo at 5/08/2006 09:32:00 AM  



  • Wow, you look amazing! Totally Prevention's loss that they didn't pick your photo. Love the suit as well.

    I'm also trying to lose the bebe weight and second the idea for a postpartum weightloss post! (Oh, an any ideas you have for getting rid of stretch marks :)
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5/08/2006 02:15:00 PM  



  • I KNOW it was cuz they were thrown off by your forever long legs. They probably thought it would not be realistic that you should be showcasing the small bust part, but instead what to do with long legs... You look great, and it is their loss.

    I predict there will be more...
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 5/09/2006 01:17:00 PM  



  • Guys I can't give advice on losing baby weight...it happened for me like this:

    Got pregnant with baby #1 at a healhty weight. I was a size 12.

    Lost 10 lbs. first trimester.

    Gave birth, came home the next day and was 10 pounds lighter than the day I conceived. Yeah, that's how sick I was my pregnancy and how much body weight I lost.

    Lost 10 more pounds that year.

    Kept it off. With baby #2 I came home still needing to lose 15 pounds...and it took about 8 months.

    For four years I have been a 6 instead of a 12. I can only attribute it to mild (not crazy) exercise, walking at every opportunity and eating small portions. Also ditching the rule about no sweets until you eat dinner. Many times I replace dinner with a sweet if I gotta have it.

    Stretch marks are battlescars...love them, like them, lick them, ok have somebody else lick them ; )
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/10/2006 10:58:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home