17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sorting Out the Modest T-shirt Melee

One of my very first posts here expressed my adoration for the "mormon modest t-shirts and camis". They might be the best thing that has happened for mormon women since the wording change in the temple ceremony :). In the last few years, numerous "modest t-shirt" companies have sprung into existence trying to get in on the action. I have purchased cap sleeved under-shirts from a number of them and thought I would give my unbiased reviews (read: I don't have family or friends with any business stake in any modest t shirt company so I can be completely honest). I would love to hear your honest opinions too!

DownEast Basics - My Personal Favorite.
What I like:
-They are cheap! ($9.99! - T or cami)
-They are tagless (nothing annoys my more than a scratchy tag, or one that can stick out of the shirt).
-Merrow edge finish. This means the cut edge (neck and sleeves of the T) are finished with thread looped closely together.
-For the way I like to wear these modest shirts - as underlayers, not by themselves, DownEast creates a nice product in nice colors. The chocolate is great for spring too!
-The girls on their website don't have crazy big Utah hair.
-I also own their gauchos. Super comfy. (Warning: Gauchos are NOT flattering on ANYBODY. The girls that look cute in them, would probably look cute in anything and cute does not equal flattering)

What I don't like:
-They appear to have some manufacturing delays due to the high demand on their product. This means they have limited sizes and colors in stock right now but they say this will change by the end of March.
-Wish they had more colors and carried a lace hem option.

*Update 4/24/06
I just got an email from DownEast Basics saying they have received a new shipment of our original cap sleeve Wonder Tees
They also have just received some new styles of tops for spring/summer including a lace hem cami, some great 80's inspired striped and polka dotted t's and a really cute applique top. The prices are still great. Th`eir new line is worth a look.

**Update 6/26/06
I have received word that DownEast Basics has found a new vendor who can keep up with the demand and quality requirements. Hopefully this means that their inventory will stay better stocked. I hate it when things aren't available! Stay tuned for a new website and a new wrap dress style.


Shade Clothing
What I like:
-They are tagless.
-They have a good color selection (the brown is beautiful).
-Merrow edge finish (but see my bad comment below)
-They have a nice, updated website

What I don't like:
-The care label reads "hand wash cold, wash separately, line dry". You're kidding right?
-The neck elastic (which is held under the merrow edge stitch) pulled out of the neck after the third wash. I do admit that it did get thrown into the dryer once on accident, but let's face it, stuff like that is going to happen and has happened to all of my modest undershirts and this is the only one that was destroyed.
-The price - too expensive especially when I only got to wear it 3 times.
-The music on their website has got to go.

Diviine Modestee
What I like:
-Large color selection
-I like the idea of the lace hem layering shirt.
-They have accidentally been dryed a few times and still seem okay.

What I don't like:
-The name. Pretty cheesy. I honestly could not bring myself to spell divine with all 3 "i's" on my check.
-They are NOT tagless
-The neck and armholes are finished with a shiny, satin, stretch binding. I prefer my undershirts to look a little less "finished" and a lot less shiny. But this is definitely a personal preference (the camis also have the same finish).
-The price. They are the most expensive of all the ones I have personally purchased.

Layers Clothing
What I like:
-They use a thinner, softer fabric (a rayon/spandex blend as opposed to a cotton/spandex blend).
-The are the most innovative with their "other" styles.
-They carry a beautiful selection of colors.
-Their website is very pleasing to the eye.

What I don't like:
-They are NOT tagless.
-The edge finish is a fold-over with a cover-stitch (way better than shiny binding, but I don't like it as much as a merrow edge.
-The fabric starts to pill after a while. But this could be caused by the dryer (and they are not supposed to be dryed).
-The model on their site has big boobs (or maybe I should say "disproprotionate to her body" boobs that are stuffed into tight undershirts) which I find very distracting from the product.


Here are my final words before you look at the incredibly informative table I have compiled below:

Really long shirts are "in fashion" right now so you don't necessarily have to patronize a UT based, modest, clothing manufacturer to cover that tummy (or cover the waistband of your garments that are showing about 3" about the waist of your pants). But (and I know I don't have to tell you this) Fashion is Fickle. So I would urge you to give these companies your business so they can survive until after the fashion trends shift and we REALLY need them.

And once again, please leave your own personal reviews and be as specific as you can as to why you like or do not like the product.
















































































































Companyunder-T # of colors"under-t" pricecami # of colorscami priceshipping (1 shirt)additional styles of notesize range
DownEast Basics8$9.9915$9.99$7.05XS-XLnew styles for spring prints, stripes, appliques, lace hem cami, shrugs, long sleeve, skirts, gauchos
Shade Clothing12$17.9511$9.99$4.95 XS-XXLmaternity, youth, thermal, swimwear, striped tank, heathered T
Layers Clothing9$16.954$14.95 $7.95 XS-XXLnew styles for spring, lacy, vintage looking, retro style swimsuits, youth styles
Diviine Modestee12$18.9513$15.95$4.95 XS-XL(select colors in XXL)lace hem shirt
CoverWear6$15.9517$13.95$4.95Youth-2XLace Cami available soon
Modbe Clothing**cannot be purchased online
call to find a consultant in your area 1-877-307-3253
17$18.0013$15.00$3 (when ordered from a boutique) or $8XS-XL2youth styles, swimwear, graphic tees, gathered neck T
The Mod Bod11$19.9511$17.95$4.95XS-3XLyouth styles, lace hem T and cami, lettuce edge cami, sequin trim
undertease*8$29.007$26.00$4.95XS-XL also Plus sizeslong sleeve, maternity
Impel17$17.9917$14.99calculated by zip codeXXS-XXLlong sleeve, henley, V-neck


**I know I have not included all the companies out there. If you see one I have missed, let me know and I will add it to the table for comparison.

***info may become oudated, the further we get from original posting date. If you notice an error, let me know with a comment and I will be happy to update the chart.

31 Comments:

  • I love my Shade t-shirts. I've got three; I've had them for a year or so and never had any problems with them. I wash them with my delicates (in the machine) and dry them with the rest of the load on an accordian rack.

    I reallllly like their "party" program, even though it reminds me of my mother's Tupperware parties. :) I live a few thousand miles away from the Mormon Corridor so I greatly appreciate a company that makes itself and its product available beyond its state boundry.

    As for the music on the Shade website, there's a little option to turn it off in one of the header tables.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/23/2006 04:22:00 PM  



  • PDOE:
    I hate the idea of parties. I know where to get the shirts, I don't want to go to a party and be sold to. I end up enjoying myself (a little) but I feel undo pressure to buy. This is the same for any purchase parties...sorry zinone's anonymous visitor (named after the cat)...I did have fun at your PC party though...

    Ok now to the post. Nice table Carrie. Very informative. Because of your table I am going to check out the lace trim shirts.

    I have a diviine cami and I like the stretchability and the hot pink (surprised?).
    I have 3 shades and I find the arm holes to be a little tight, but they are xs...but I think I have the skinniest arms of anyone I know...but if I order again I will get small.

    The next I am going to try are the downeast.

    Also, I could not wear any of these tees while nursing...too tight, but I guess that is ok...I haven't checked out shades maternity stuff...maybe that would be nice for nursing? Anyone tried out there?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/23/2006 05:26:00 PM  



  • I do have cap sleeve shirts and the camis from Down East Basic. I have found that of the three companies (that I know of) that sell items like the cap sleeve and cami I like Down East the best. Here are my reasons. You don't have to have a home party, you can order off the internet form https://www.downeastbasics.com/catalog/index.php, all of the other companies you have to either have a party or go to a party, and since I don't live in UT. there isn't a retail store, so yeah the internet! They are more affordable, meaning I can have more! They have the same selection as all of the other companies. I feel the quality is good. I am very hard on my clothes (which is another reason cheaper is good!) and they seem to be on par with the quality of my other clothes. I do have a nasty habit of shrinking clothing, so if you are a shrinker, you may want to order a size larger. One thing to note, if you buy of the internet, the wonder tee cap sleeve has a larger neck than the wonder crew cap sleeve. I first got the wonder tee but had to exchange it because it wouldn't stay on my shoulders, kind of defeated the idea of it being modest.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/23/2006 05:42:00 PM  



  • I just visited layers and I hate the lace on theirs. I like the lace on diviine better. And I agree....too many boobies lady.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/23/2006 05:49:00 PM  



  • One more company out there...

    http://www.modbeclothing.com/

    I went to a party, got one thing, but price wise, I'll be shopping elsewhere (why pay more foe somethingwhen somewhere else has the same thing for cheaper?). They even have swimsuits, at a reasonable price, and like shade, they have a kid selection.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/23/2006 06:22:00 PM  



  • I have only used Modbe Cap Sleeve Tees but I love them. Yes, they cost a little more but they wear wonderfully (don't lose their shape). Modbe has a great selection of tees, camis, long sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, swimsuits, kids shirts, etc. - with lots of color options. You do have to order from a party but both parties I have been to were open house style so no big deal. Also both parties I have been to offer discounts if you ordered 3 items or more - I think it was 10% off.

    Well, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for a great post and great blog. Love it.
    posted by Blogger Elise at 3/23/2006 08:03:00 PM  



  • The Mod Bod
    Pros:
    -lots of colors
    -T's, long sleeves, or tanks
    -You can get lace trim on the bottom. Which really throws people off on mine, since they don't think of me as the lace type
    -tagless
    -Comfy
    -Wash cold, hang dry. Dh hasn't dried it on accident yet so I don't know how it'll hold up to that.

    Cons:
    -the sleeves are shorter than I prefer. More of a half cap sleeve than a cap sleeve.
    -The medium is SUPER long. I will likely never fit a medium again as long as I live, so no biggie to me, but it did annoy some of my skinnier friends
    -By the time I ordered they had done away with the color I REALLY wanted. Later they got rid of some others. It seems like they keep the basics, but change the other colors pretty often.
    -$$. Runs about 21 dollars for a lace bottom T.
    posted by Blogger Mo at 3/23/2006 11:02:00 PM  



  • I like the camis from DownEast because the top is high, especially compared to department store camis. I can wear it under a v-neck sweater to add some modesty. Plus, I think the fabric is REALLY comfortable.

    Their T-shirts seem to run about 2 sizes too small, but I like cami's tight, so I didn't have a problem there.

    One thing I don't like about the t-shirts is that the arm seams chafe my underarms. They're too tight for delicate skin. Garments might alleviate that- you could probably let the garment stick out the bottom of the sleeve just a little bit, as long as you're layering another shirt on top.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/24/2006 01:03:00 AM  



  • My one DownEast seems to be sized bigger than my Shade shirts. The edge of the neck has rolled a bit too, and so it doesn't look as good. I haven't liked the DownEast as much.
    posted by Blogger Belle at 3/24/2006 06:37:00 AM  



  • I've just started wearing these undershirts. My sister got me a few from downeast and I like them. I noticed the camis are an inch or 2 shorter than the cap sleeve shirts. It's not a big problem since they're long anyway, but I find myself checking them more often. Next time maybe a bigger size...

    And no, they are not good for nursing in. A big tight pain! Too bad.

    I do think the $7-8 shipping prices are highway robbery. My sister mailed me three shirts and it cost less than $3.

    Thanks for the lowdown Carrie--that's valuable research that will save all of us "beginners" lots o' time!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 3/24/2006 06:58:00 AM  



  • This is a super helpful post. Thanks for organizing it, Carrie.

    I can only speak for the Modbe cap sleeve tees since that's all I've ever worn. I have their black and white in XS and have worn them into the ground (I just ordered some more this week). I really like them because they're very comfortable and serve their purpose (I wear them under sheer shirts or tank or tank dresses) - I treat them like an undergarment. And I like the XS because it fits my body perfectly. If I was going to wear them alone (without layering on top) I'd get a small.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 3/24/2006 08:24:00 AM  



  • I think it's great that there are so many types of companies doing these shirts now. I used to think it was crazy that everyone was "copying" each other. But, as this post shows, everyone has such different opinions on what is comfortable and affordable. It just makes sense that there would be different types of shirts out there.

    Personally, I LOVE Down East. I visit their kiosk in the Provo Towne Center Mall at least twice a month and because of the great price, I have collected quite a few --okay, more than a few. They go with everything! I wear them to work out in, as pajamas, under my sweaters, under my t-shirts, for my short shirts, for my low cut shirts, for a layered look, etc. etc. etc.

    I was excited about Shade until I found Down East...I really think the quality of the cloth and stitching is much better than Shade --and 3 times cheaper!
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 3/24/2006 09:18:00 AM  



  • THANK YOU Carrie!

    I've desperately WANTED to like Down East because of the cheap price and the online ordering (out here in VT there aren't a lot of modest shirt parties happening!) but I've had some of the same problems mentioned here - rolling neck, a little large, slipping off my shoulders. I might try the crew cap sleeve that beanie mentioned in a smaller size.

    I also have Layers, and while I'm so much happier with the fit on those, I've managed to pill them up horribly.

    I wanted to try Modbe because of their great color selection, but that whole party thing is a bit of a problem for me. Maybe I'll pick one of the others mentioned here and see how it goes!
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/24/2006 10:29:00 AM  



  • My faves are Shade. I have always washed them and dried them normally, and never had a problem. So either I got lucky or Carrie got a bad one.

    Note- you can get shade at Costco in Utah. they are $20 for two camis or $23 for two cap sleeves. Way cheaper. So if you know anyone in Utah, have them pick you up a box (they are black/white, or brown/blue)
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/24/2006 02:25:00 PM  



  • Thanks, Carrie. This is a great help. It's hard to know where to go online and I wasn't too pleased with the two shirts I bought from Divine...partly my fault for throwing them in the dryer.

    My fav long shirts are actually my Old Navy xtra long tanks. Really comfty and long enough to cover.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 3/24/2006 07:00:00 PM  



  • Old Navy has had a lot of longer tops lately. I got a long polo T that I wear under a lot of stuff and by itself. Much more accessible for the majority of us I think.
    Anyone in UT want to make a Costco run for me? ;)
    posted by Blogger Mo at 3/25/2006 12:17:00 AM  



  • mo mommy --

    I could do it... (although I doubt I'll have the time to check EVERY costco in Utah.. :) :) )
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 3/25/2006 06:29:00 AM  



  • Thanks for the write-up, Carrie. Very useful information!

    (Though I'm wondering how many male readers saw your description of the Layers model and clicked through precisely for that reason . . .)
    posted by Blogger Kaimi at 3/26/2006 01:00:00 AM  



  • Thanks for the rundown, Carrie. I've never bought from any of these companies (I always use the super thin camis from The Limited -love them!) but perhaps I'll send in an order sometime soon. I hadn't done it before because someone told me that the necklines were ridiculously high (and, what can I say, I like to show a tiny bit of cleavage :)) Do you have any issues with the height of their necklines?

    Nice to meet you yesterday!
    posted by Blogger Caroline at 3/26/2006 05:09:00 PM  



  • caroline, take care of carrie for me...I like cleavage too...know where I can get any?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/26/2006 05:13:00 PM  



  • i only have DownEast shirts. I like the cheap factor, and they are comfortable, though one of mine does have a chafey armpit on one side. I usually wear them alone just as tees, maybe under a zip hoody, but should try layering. I just don't layer much as I don;t like feeling bulky.

    I will have to see if my Costco has the shade tees. I'd like to try them.
    posted by Blogger mindy at 3/26/2006 08:42:00 PM  



  • Caroline,

    Funny story about cleavage: my girlfriends and I were at a Diviine Modestee t-shirt party a while back. Some relatives of a friend were in NYC from UT making the sale. As we were trying on the shirts we were pulling and tugging at them compaining that the shirts were not allowing our desired amount of cleavage to show. I think the poor Utah based, modest t-shirt selling girl was in shock at our conversation. But, come on, I was breast feeding! It's the only time I have anything worth showing!

    So to answer your question, yes, the cap sleeve shirts have pretty high necklines at all of the companies. I think Diviine Modestee has the highest. The cami's are lower but not "cleavage low" (I have found). Doesn't bother me much, because I don't have any cleavage (breastfeeding was short lived with #2). That said, I also own other long camis from stores like Old Navy, Gap, Target, Express, Forever 21, that have lower necklines which definitely look better under certain things.

    I am not against the showing of cleavage, shoulders, or a sliver of back or stomach now and then. Everyone's definition of what is "modest" is different. These companies definitely take the conservative approach. But I do find having your under garments showing - whatever kind they might be - to be annoying and tacky.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/27/2006 09:34:00 AM  



  • Thanks Carrie for your info.

    I am actually a Shade sales rep. based in Northern Ca. I love the fact that shirts like these are available, no matter who makes them.

    If you like Shade here is an online coupon for 10% off your first purchase and 5% off every purchase there after.

    BEN7506


    As far as your shirt with the popped elastic if you ship it back with a note about what happened they will send you another one. They stand behind their products, and customer satisfaction is very important to them.
    posted by Blogger leakysieve at 3/27/2006 03:26:00 PM  



  • Just went shopping this afternoon. I found a lot of cute long shirts at Express. I don't typically pop in there but it said SALE and the kids were being good. 200 bucks later I left.

    Carrie, I bought a modest black dress b/c you told me too, not because I need it for a particular event. I also bought a bunch of stuff without trying on, keeping in mind the rules of fashion and I came home to try on and I did so good...not returning one thing...much to my budget's dismay.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/28/2006 07:59:00 PM  



  • ---I like undertease* brand shirts. they aren't too thick or bulky on the edges, or funky or cheap looking on the edges (like I feel like the edges on shades shirts are). They are surged then folded over and sewn down so they look nicely finished but not bulky under clothes(i don't want it to look like a T-shirt). I don't like to show cleavage- but I also don't like to look too prude, and their neck line isn't up too high. plus it looks nice under dressy shirts that are too low in front. I do feel like the shoulder width is pushing it a little because if worn alone garments might stick out if you aren't careful. I want a under shirt that's classy with undertease style of edging and just a little wider on the sleeve, with different necklines for under different styled shirts(the basic circled neck doesn't nessesarily work best with everything) and good colors to choose from. Know any company like that? If you don't mind a bulkier edge and higher neck line, Knee Shorts has a good inexpensive shirt with widersleeves that still aren't too long(on the sleeves I mean, check them out to wear more casually than dressy). -k.a.w.---
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/09/2006 09:55:00 PM  



  • I ordered some Shade shirts (THANK YOU abby for the shopping code!) and I like the fit and the fabric. My only issue is with the white shirt - it's a bit too see-through, in that I can see the outline of my undergarments pretty clearly in the front (in the back I expect it, but in the front it bothers me) Just for layering this is fine, but for some of my shrugs and other tops, it bothers me to see the lines so clearly. What I'm wondering is if you think a larger size (that doesn't pull as tightly across my chest) might hide things a bit more. Thoughts anyone? Or another brand to recommend for white?
    posted by Blogger marian at 4/11/2006 02:51:00 PM  



  • I love the undertease tag line "Wear undertease and cover your assets". Catchy and not too prude. The shirts are really expensive. If they were smart, they would add more info to their website to state what makes their product better from all the others out there.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/14/2006 02:20:00 PM  



  • I just recieved an e-mail from DownEast Basics;

    Dear DownEast Basics Customers,

    We are pleased to tell you that we received a new shipment of our original cap sleeve Wonder Tees as well as styles you've never seen before! We have many new fabulous tops and skirts at prices you crave. Stripes, polka dots, and an appliqué Summer Tee are among the new spring line!

    Visit DownEastBasics.com to update your spring/summer wardrobe with modest fashions at modest prices.

    I checked it out and their new stuff is pretty cute and is priced really good. Just thought I'd pass the word on. (I also added the new info to the original post).
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/24/2006 06:18:00 PM  



  • Thanks for the list and information! I'm wondering if anyone has tried the tops from www.impelclothing.com? I'd like to try them because they are having a mother's day sale, but haven't heard anything about their tops. TIA!
    posted by Blogger jemgirlca at 5/04/2006 08:58:00 AM  



  • I just ordered a couple of the new styles from Downeast--the gathered V-neck and the gathered scoop--and they are *adorable!* I also got a white Wonder Tee--and I must say, I prefer it over the Shade cap sleeve. The material is softer & nicer, and the fit is better (this medium fits me perfectly, while the Shade one was stranglingly tight. I prefer to buy the smaller size, of course!)
    Anyway--the V-Neck from Downeast definitely needs to be layered (it's low cut and a lighter, softer, slightly more sheer fabric than the other tees) but is very cute and flattering on.
    When I first put on the scoop tee, I thought I'd found the cutest shirt I've ever owned. It is the same lightweight, soft material (again, different from then wonder tee fabric)--but after trying it on a little more I found it to be just a *little* too long. Instead of being cut straight down (and therefore tight) it's cut out just a little at the waist/hips so it doesn't cling (and therefore can't be scrunched). If you're wavering between sizes on this one, definitely go with the smaller size because of this. A too-big scoop shirt will hang funny on your waist. The sleeves on this shirt are fantastic, though--very cute and the perfect length. If they ever make more colors in these shirts, I will order a bunch more.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5/07/2006 09:09:00 AM  



  • I have shirts from layers, the mod bod, shade, down east and modbe. My favorites are tied with shade and modbe- they have great styles, good quality fabrics and cute colors! I mostly buy my stuff from their sale sections- and you can get some good bargains! I like the layers stuff too. I dont care much for the mod bod- the shirts cut in the armpit area bad and the fabric is quite thick. I also am not a big fan of down east, i want to be because of the price, but time and time again the quality of the fabrics let me down- they all get holes or stretching. I wash my clothes as directed and air dry them, but the down east just dont hold up. I hope this is helpful!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/10/2007 06:43:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home