17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Babies & Broadway


A few weeks ago, my worst nightmare came true, Broadway called me in to DANCE for an audition. Let’s be clear here…I don’t dance. I am a singer who moves well…but I am not a dancer. I was terrified, and so disappointed because this was a big break for me, and I was unprepared. I had 24 hours to get ready, and I should have been getting ready for the past 24 years.

I decided I would WOW ‘em with my outfit. I went to the dance store in Manhattan and pounced on a young man who looked like he knew what he was doing: Ok, he looked gay. Turns out, he was going to the same audition as me, and he gave me lots of good advice about how NOT to look like a clueless singer. I threw up all my nervous energy on him, and he walked me through basic decisions from which shoes, to what tights, to what color leotard. We decided on a blue (for my eyes)low cut one: work that sexy back …maybe that will distract them from the dance moves.

He was kind of surprised at my nervousness and naïveté, but I explained that I had been busy having babies lately and not really in the groove of a dance audition for a Broadway show. I was worried that my inner-thighs might still be a little incapacitated from the pushing that occurred 9 months earlier.

Anyway, we parted ways to do some changing and trying-on and ended up at the checkout counter together. I said something about Good Luck (I never say break a leg), and that I hoped he did really well and got the part and that it was cool that he was called in (he was just starting out), and he said: “It’s really cool that you have a family.” WOW. He helped me not only with my dumb outfit that day, but also with my perspective.

That night I went home and two crazy girls sat at the dinner table/high chair eating their food and watching me model my new dancewear and try some “moves”. To see the excitement in their eyes and how they looked up to me was amazing. Pukey said: “You look good mom; you look good for the audition.” I am so lucky to have two little best friends, and that they can already make me feel good about myself, whether I stumble, I mean dance, I mean MOVE my way onto Broadway or not.

7 Comments:

  • Don't you love that our kids think that we're the funniest, most beautiful, best dancers, cookers, singers, readers, comedians on the planet? At least someone does. They give us all the build up so the break down doesn't feel so bad. Good Luck blue leotard dancin' momma!!
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 3/16/2006 02:12:00 PM  



  • It's cool you have a family and that kid has great perspective. It's always nice to realize how much you have accomplished and how much you have to be thankful for in your life.
    Hope you didn't try to learn dance moves from Elaine...
    Can't wait to hear how the audition goes dancing queen. You'll be great.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 3/17/2006 10:25:00 AM  



  • Love that picture of Elaine. Lately my DD has started dancing JUST LIKE Elaine in that episode of Seinfeld - it's hard to stifle my laughter.

    I'm proud of you, you dancin' mama. Watch out Broadway!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 3/17/2006 01:30:00 PM  



  • I think this is my favorite Kage post so far...I loved the entire story from start to "you look GOOD mom."
    posted by Blogger Jen at 3/17/2006 02:57:00 PM  



  • Melissa, fortunately the audition went so much better than I pictured. When I arrived there were sweaty men and women with hot bods exiting (the REAL dancers who had auditioned in the morning). This I looked at as a good sign. Slowly a group of people that consisted of a lot of grey hair and all body types, entered with the identical deer-in-headlights look that I had. We all reluctantly donned lycra and low heels and danced our hearts out. I not only felt great about it, but I had fun too. So...no matter what happens, I conquered a signigicant fear.

    Jen, glad you enjoyed it. My girls are the best.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/18/2006 12:10:00 PM  



  • I can't wait to hear the conclusion of this one. And I LOVE that you used the Elaine photo. I'm the girl who auditioned for the high school musical and got into the chorus.

    They had to make a special call sheet for me. It had 3 chorus columns - one for regular chorus, a huge list - one for people who would dance only, the cheerleaders - and one for people who would sing only, me. I had to wear special tap shoes without taps and pretend to do the moves without making any noise with my feet.

    Um, yeah....Broadway has not been calling me anytime recently.
    posted by Blogger Kathryn Thompson at 3/18/2006 07:14:00 PM  



  • UPDATE: I found out today that I am no longer in the running for this show. I am sad of course, but really happy about the following:
    1. That I got as far as I did in the process, especially after having my second baby.
    2. That I danced at a Broadway audition. I did good, and I was not shafted b/c of my dancing...at least they didn't mention that.
    3. That I was considered for not one but two different lead roles, and was told that I was falling somewhere between the two, not quite a perfect match for either.
    4. That I have a loving family and support group who still think I am the cat's pajamas.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/21/2006 09:48:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home