17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, March 12, 2006

A New Generation of Women

So I read about a book that I am interested in reading. Isn't that a lame sentence? Anyway, It is called Imagining Ourselves: Global Voices from a New Generation of Women. "What defines your generation of women?" is the question posed by the author, who then compiled the responses in this book. The generation is defined as women age 20-40.

"The world is filled with fierce girls who do not question their power...who have never contemplated their limitations, only their possibilities." This is written in the introduction by Isabel Allende. So one of these days when I find time to read again, I am going to try to pick up this book...in the mean time...answer the question...

4 Comments:

  • "Trying to do it all..." that's what I feel like defines our generation of women. Trying to have a career, family, be in shape, happy, and succeed at everything. Some can do it, other's just can't. I'm in the latter group.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/12/2006 07:29:00 PM  



  • Anon - Don't let those women fool you, NOBODY can succeed in "doing it all". There just aren't enough hours in the day. It is always futile to compare ourselves to others. Everyone has their own balancing act with their own set of balls in the air.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/12/2006 08:24:00 PM  



  • My generation of women are the same as all generations of women.

    In every generation there are women that are strong, independent, leaders, and fighters.

    In every generation there are women that are mothers, wives, grandmothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, and friends.

    In every generation there are women that suffer, are abused, are treated with disrespect and are ignored.

    In every generation there are women that overcome the most amazing odds and conquer their fears and accomplish their dreams.

    Okay, I know the above sounds like something out of a documentary, but it's totally true. Everyone talks about how women need to be better than the women before us. But I'm afraid that no matter how much time goes by, there will always be women who allow themselves (as ksl describes above) to be taken advantage of and be abused. BUT --in every generation there will always be those women that are strong and amazing and change the courses of history. I guess we just need to make sure that we are all striving to be in the latter group...
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 3/12/2006 09:34:00 PM  



  • "who have never contemplated their limitations, only their possibilities"

    It is this quote that struck me. Honestly I cannot think of a time when I wanted to accomplish a goal and said to myself: Oh, I can't do that b/c I am a girl. And if that is unique to this generation, than that is progress. I think my mom and grandma thought they could ONLY be mothers...I don't think they dared to dream anything else.

    When I walk to ballet class with my daughter, I think about other countries where girls don't even know what ballet is...and who will never be educated. I want my daughter to know that she can do anything, and that it matters not what her gender is.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/14/2006 08:01:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home