17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, December 30, 2005

Goodbye Garments

No, I am not going apostate. I just hate constantly tugging and tucking at my garments everytime I bend down to pick up toys, laundry, kids, etc. It actually one of my huge pet peeves when women (or men) walk around with any part of their garments showing. That is why when I found all these UT based companies that produce these awesome long shirts, I feel I must shout it from the rooftops!

I am not from UT so I very well could be the last mormon to know about the mormon modest t-shirt craze. I have ordered them from a few different companies off the internet. I just found a new one: DownEast Basics that sells the t-shirt and camisole for a whole lot cheaper than everone else. I don't know what the quality will be like, but the company has been in the clothing business for a while - over 10 years (before they got into the modest t-shirt market).

If you don't have at least one of the cap sleeve shirts in your dresser, I highly suggest you try it out. When layered with other clothing, it solves so many issues: shirts that are too short, pants that are too low, necklines that are too wide or too low, armholes that are too open, shirts that are too sheer, etc, etc. With the fashions that are in the market right now, they have quickly become this garment-wearing mom's best friend.

10 Comments:

  • I am going to try Down East next. Shade has worked well for me, but I am looking for a slightly cheaper alternative. I am most impressed with Down East's website of all the websites, this is a big seller for me
    posted by Blogger Kage at 12/30/2005 07:15:00 PM  



  • PS I used to be one of those people that peeve you. I was the only mormon at my college and during choir practice my non-mormon friends would say: "Your mormon underwear is showing"...b/c they sat behind me. I am trying to repent.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 12/30/2005 07:16:00 PM  



  • Ha! That's hysterical Kage. I'm not sure that my non-mormon friends know there is such a thing as mormon underwear. So I suppose I've been a bit better at my tucking and arranging and avoiding of clothing. But thanks to Carrie, who gave me this tip a couple of months ago, my world has been radically altered, and I hope to never have to return to the pre-long shirt era.
    posted by Blogger marian at 12/30/2005 07:34:00 PM  



  • I didn't volunteer about them or anything...people just know random stuff about mormons....and apparently they knew and were not ashamed to discuss.

    On another note, did you know that you have to have your member record number and confirmation date to order garments online now? Who knows either? I got my record # from the ward clerk and I just made up my confirmation date...got right through...weird.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/01/2006 12:57:00 PM  



  • Well I didn't think you had announced it! Yes, some people definitely know more than others, I guess that most of my friends are just uninformed when it comes to our different mormon ways.

    Yes, I did know that about the online garment ordering. It actually surprised me the first time I went on the site and you could just go in and order garments with no restrictions - makes a little more sense to me that they put it behind a "gate" - isn't that how it works if you go to distribution centers? (ie don't you have to show a recommend or something?) I haven't been since I first went through the temple...
    posted by Blogger marian at 1/01/2006 06:10:00 PM  



  • Will you guys stop commenting on the practice post!
    :)
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/01/2006 06:25:00 PM  



  • we're just practicing commenting. We can always re-comment for real when it is for real.... : )
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/02/2006 06:01:00 AM  



  • I do have cap sleeve shirts and the camis from Down East Basic. I have found that of the three companies (that I know of) that sell items like the cap sleeve and cami I like Down East the best. Here are my reasons. You don't have to have a home party, you can order off the internet form https://www.downeastbasics.com/catalog/index.php, all of the other companies you have to either have a party or go to a party, and since I don't live in UT. there isn't a retail store, so yeah the internet! They are more affordable, meaning I can have more! They have the same selection as all of the other companies. I feel the quality is good. I am very hard on my clothes (which is another reason cheaper is good!) and they seem to be on par with the quality of my other clothes. I do have a nasty habit of shrinking clothing, so if you are a shrinker, you may want to order a size larger. One thing to note, if you buy of the internet, the wonder tee cap sleeve has a larger neck than the wonder crew cap sleeve. I first got the wonder tee but had to exchange it because it wouldn't stay on my shoulders, kind of defeated the idea of it being modest.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/23/2006 03:58:00 PM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/25/2006 06:41:00 PM  



  • frustrated newlywed,

    I deleted your comment because I would like to give it a thread of it's own. I don't think many people will find it in this old post. I will repost it later this week so check back and you should get a few comments

    In the future, if you (or anyone else) have/has a question you would like to ask, you can e-mail it to us at talesfromthecrib at gmail dot com.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/25/2006 07:02:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home