17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, March 20, 2006

Is There a Doctor in the House Crib?

Why, as a matter of fact there is! But don't bug her for an Amoxcicillin perscription for jr's latest ear infection--she's not that kind of doctor.

Contributor Michelle successfully defended her dissertation last week. I would tell you what it was about, but even after the numerous times of getting it explained to me, it has continued to whoosh by way over my head. Anyway, this brings her to the end of a long grad school road which began ten years ago when she started for her masters. During that ten years, not only did she finish a masters and a doctorate, she gave birth to and raised (with the help and support of her amazing DH) two very smart, and funny children.

In Michelle's words: "The best moment of the day was when DD ran up to me in my building during the post-defense party and yelled, 'Congratulations Mommy' and then presented me with the cards and drawings she had made for me."

Congratulations Michelle. We wish you all the best as you and your family begin the "post-dissertation" phase of life.

15 Comments:

  • I think the laymen's terms for her dissertation is:
    Texas Teens Gone Wild
    or something like that...I don't know why THAT was over your head Carrie?!

    Having known Michelle the last little bit of her path, I can attest to the hours and hours of work she put into this. She would spend as many hours a week as she could working on it...and lots of time in the car and on the BQE commuting from Queens to Princeton.

    I am really proud of you!!! And Carrie, I think you should rename your post: "Is There a Doctor in the crib?" ; )
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/20/2006 02:53:00 PM  



  • I can honestly say that it was never described to me in those terms! That makes it sound like a fun, exciting and profitable straight to DVD video!

    And how could I pass up your title suggestion.

    thanks!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/20/2006 03:51:00 PM  



  • Carrie....you know I have a wild imagination....let's let the doc clarify...when she is back from her travels.

    I am honored that you would change the title...and how fancy with the crossing out and all....
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/20/2006 04:12:00 PM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 3/20/2006 06:47:00 PM  



  • I just want to say that what you have accomplished is truly admirable. Coming from someone who can't stand school on any level, I can't imagine doing what you had to do. Congratulations Michelle!!
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 3/20/2006 06:49:00 PM  



  • Thanks Carrie and all for the congratulations and warm wishes.

    Ok, so I feel that in the world of dissertations, mine is quite understandable. The title is not quite as interesting as Kage's reinterpretation, but there are no words that the average person doesn't understand: "Texas High Schools and Precursors to Students' College Attendance."

    And second, just for the record, it's been 9 1/2 years, not quite 10, since I started my masters, and 7 1/2 since starting the PhD. I already feel old enough without thinking I've been in grad school for double digit years--even if that distinction is mostly just a matter of word choice!
    posted by Blogger Belle at 3/21/2006 05:23:00 AM  



  • Precursors is where I got the "gone wild" part....
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/21/2006 05:55:00 AM  



  • The average person might not know precursors.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/21/2006 05:56:00 AM  



  • Congrats Michelle! I'll never know how you pulled it all off!

    We actually have TWO (non-medical)doctors in the crib now...Michelle and NewMom. Maybe we'll soon get a rep as the "intellectual mommy blog."
    posted by Blogger Jen at 3/21/2006 10:46:00 AM  



  • newmom...I had no idea you had a Phd...wow...I have very important friends
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/21/2006 12:13:00 PM  



  • Michelle, I have no idea how you tackled something as huge as a Ph.D with two young children running around. You are a great inspiration - congratulations! I hope that you do something spectacular to celebrate!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 3/21/2006 01:25:00 PM  



  • Congrats and welcome. And congrats to the family as well. I know I could not have done it without my wife and kids!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/21/2006 06:37:00 PM  



  • Blog Nice one

    SEO Company Ottawa
    posted by Blogger Trinity at 2/09/2021 06:16:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home