17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summertime....

Here at tales we are seeing the first summer slump.

So, since the peops are all in their summer groove...what better thing to do than discuss summer?

Today my daughter sauntered away from her school, proclaiming herself a 1st grader. As we walked away, I saw all the fourth graders just bawling as they left their teacher (who was donning a very cute DOGS for OBAMA tee that she picked up on etsy, per my recommendation). I know my daughter loved her teacher as much as those 4th-graders loved theirs...but there was not one tear shed from any of the kindergartner's I saw.

Summer began with a bang! We played in the water spray at the park, ate ice cream, watched Kung Fu Panda with popcorn, and ended the day with McDonalds. Yeah, it was like a day of junk. I wanted to take the kids to Wall-E tomorrow, but I am headed out for an unexpected trip, so the mom guilt led me to have an extravagant day today.

Next week we are headed to San Antonio, Texas for a long 4th of July weekend. Texas in July? I think I might be crazy. I would like there to be many water events during this long weekend. The kids have been talking about Texas as they fall asleep every night this week. That is our only trip planned for the summer. When we return, the girls start their swim lessons at the YMCA.

Other then that, I am hoping to get to the beach, the public pool, playgrounds, free outdoor concerts, and as many city adventures as we can have. Maybe even a playdate or too. I have also purchased some chapter books for us to read over the next several weeks. So, what are your plans?

5 Comments:

  • My summer is over in about 8 weeks, but it's been a nice break. I have been trying to wrangle the kids at home, for the most part. My almost 1st grader has discovered the freedom that comes with living in a small community where she can run free with friends. We've gone camping once and may try that one more time before everyone heads back to school. We live a good 20 minutes from anything major and with gas prices what they are we try to keep trips out down to once or twice a week. I hate living with a budget!
    posted by Blogger Tandy at 6/26/2008 06:22:00 PM  



  • For the first time ever we bought a zoo pass and a state park pass and enrolled in ballet/tap! Bring it on! The apt. yard and friends, parks, "spraygrounds", and riding bikes. Pools here--are super cool--we'll do them a few times (but $$). I'm feeling so free to do stuff as the littlest isn't quite so little!

    Also--chapter books (magic treehouse) in our "reading corner" under the loft bed. Summer worksheets teach sent home. And I'm going to whip up some math flash cards or word flashcards to keep the kids fresh!

    We have family coming for the fourth, and are taking off to Utah in August.

    Sometimes I've worried about how to fill the summer hours, but this year it seems to be a breeze. Phew!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 6/26/2008 07:05:00 PM  



  • Trying to get thru the summer with a newborn & toddler????!!! We usually spend our summers on the beach since the temps are so hot out here, but it may be a little more difficult with a newborn unless we go when DH is also off work. The good thing about having a new baby.... we have plenty of visitors this summer from out-of-town. T is in swim class and music class. Plenty of pool parties at friend's houses. Enjoying some good ol' AC and doing some BBQing.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/26/2008 10:17:00 PM  



  • We are trying to pack in our whole summer in June...have been out on the west coast visiting family. I agree, it is so much easier with kids that don't need naps and are potty-trained and generally meltdown-free. We can do so much more in the day and we've had great family time together. Beach trips, a great children's museum, hitting the downtown pdx fountains to cool off, lots of train rides for the obsessed 3-year-old and lots of bike rides.

    I am working full-time in July & August...might as well...it will be too hot and miserable to do much else. We will have a nanny for the summer and 5-year-old will be busy with summer school and therapies, 3-year-old with swimming lessons and other classes. We'll see how it all goes!!!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/26/2008 11:03:00 PM  



  • Since we are on year-round school, our summer break is only 5 weeks long. With two weeks spent in UT and another week camping with my family, we basically only have two weeks to fill (and one has already passed). So our summer is basically over before it has begun. Kind of sad. I want to spend more time at the beach and riding bikes with the neighbors.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/29/2008 04:48:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home