17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Inspirational Mom: Melanie Roach

My NPR Story of the Day Podcast featured an inspirational Mom: Melanie Roach.

The timing of this particular podcast was perfect, because I was just ending my workout, which means....I have to exert my teeny tiny muscles. She's 117 pounds and can list like 250 pounds or some ridiculous number.

In 2000, while competing to be on the Olympic team she suffered a back injury (not sure the details...was it during the qualifications, training etc., I don't know), and was unable to compete. So, she went and had 3 babies instead.

Now, if most of us had a dream, and then put it away with some melancholy to have some 3 babies, would we return to that dream when our youngest was 2? I thought not.

This woman has done that and she is the leading contender for the US Olympic Weight Lifting team in the upcoming Olympics.

And guess what else, she's mormon. In the podcast she even speaks about talking to her bishop after her son was diagnosed with autism. Oh yeah, she's got a son with autism as well. Serious will power this woman has. Just listening to her try to dress her son in the morning, was enough to make me give up for the entire day after that....go to the gym and lift WHAT?

Anyway, I thought I would give a shout out to Melanie...if anybody knows her, tell her to stop by and comment or better yet, write a post of her own...and be on the look out for more inspirational moms, might make a nice series here. As if we aren't inspiring enough right? ; )

5 Comments:

  • Wow, that's awesome... and pretty inspiring! Thanks for sharing. That would be so cool if she posted!
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/18/2008 02:00:00 PM  



  • I read an article in the NY Times about her. Pretty amazing! She has a gymnastics background and doesn't look like she could lift as much as she can. I could be wrong, but I think she was the first woman to bench twice her body weight or something like that. Her husband is in the state legislature in Washington State and they must be so...so...busy. I think it is amazing that she pursued her dream and made the team with all of the pressures and distractions around her! I'll definitely be cheering for her this August!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/18/2008 05:01:00 PM  



  • oops...I just realized you linked to all of her background info. In case anyone is too lazy to double-click the link...
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/18/2008 05:02:00 PM  



  • Great things do come in small packages. I have always known that :) What a neat story. Thanks for sharing Kage!
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/19/2008 08:50:00 AM  



  • My brother-in-law Dave Roach just told me about this blog. He received it from Whitney Seamon, whose sister is Whitney Snow, who is married to Scott Snow. Scott and my husband worked at Olive Garden together while they were at BYU and I graduated from High School with Scott. Talk about a small world.

    You guys are so sweet! I really do feel blessed. I want you to know I have a lot of help. My husband is amazing and my mother and mother-in-law and father-in-law as well as some of my friends from the ward are pitching in. It has been a huge group effort!

    It has been an amazing journey and a huge faith building experience for our family. I will forever be grateful for every minute.

    Thank you again for your sweet blogs.

    Please check out my new blog:
    melanieroach.blogspot.com

    I will be using that while in China. I leave on July 25th!

    Take care!
    posted by Blogger Melanie Roach at 7/05/2008 07:14:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home