17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Potty Rehab...

I just saw this on CNN - think of it as Potty "Rehab" for toddlers. A school for the young ones who can't break their addiction to diapers...

From the article:

"It all started with the flush of an automatic toilet. The terrifying sound marked the beginning of a two-year nightmare for Sarah Teres as she desperately tried to potty train her daughter Molly.


Molly graduated from Potty School four days before her brother, Archer, was born.

"It was awful" Teres said. "We tried everything including bribery and threats." Teres, the mother of three from Andover, Massachusetts, hoped her middle child would be toilet trained by the time she was 2½.

Two years later, the girl was still in diapers, refusing to use the bathroom. "I was going crazy," Teres admitted. "She wouldn't poop. She would hold it for days."

At wits end, Teres enrolled Molly in the Toilet Training School at Children's Hospital Boston".

Hee hee hee...I think? Am I the only one who finds this incredibly FUNNY? Maybe because I'm done potty training my people...but if I wasn't and if we weren't achieving "sucess" I might beat a fast path to Boston...

As for me right now, I'd like to find a program for my 3 1/2 year old daughter who is in LOVE with Atreyu from the movie Never Ending Story and INSISTS that she is going to marry him, and a program for my 5 year old boy who SERIOUSLY wants to live with his girlfriend, Ella...

6 Comments:

  • i also thought it was hillarious. but my kid is potty trained also and it was a peice of cake. my neighbor is still dealing with poop and her kid is 4.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/18/2008 09:36:00 AM  



  • SIGN ME UP!! Grr. My son is 3 1/2 and we've been working on it for what feels like FOREVER! This school will only work if they can teach him to care--which he doesn't. He's out of diapers, but I watch the clock and make certain he hits the bathroom every couple of hours because if left to his own, he NEVER would! (Do I sound too much like a totally frustrated potty-training momma? Sorry.)
    posted by Blogger colds1 at 3/18/2008 12:21:00 PM  



  • there's this thing some friends of mine have been using called "the potty watch." it is a watch, shaped like a potty, that you can set to go off every 30, 60, or 90 minutes. when it beeps, it reminds the kid to go potty. i think it's about $10. just google it and it will come up.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/18/2008 01:16:00 PM  



  • Though I am not officially home free with Poopy, we are down to about 1 accident a day or sometimes 1 accident every 2 days, which is leaps and bounds from where we were just 3 weeks ago. If this last push hadn't worked as well as it is, I would be looking for Boston real estate right about now!!! I believe!!!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/18/2008 05:13:00 PM  



  • Kage, I totally thought of you when I first read this article. Thankfully Poopy is on her way to "voiding" sucess!
    posted by Blogger Sara at 3/18/2008 06:15:00 PM  



  • colds1 and anon - a kitchen timer works just as well. That's what I finally did with my son. It also took some of the battle out of it - I found myself saying "I know you don't want to, but the alarm says it's time" kind of shrugging my shoulders as if to say, "it's not me, it's the clock" as if I wasn't the one setting it to go off every 30 minutes!
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/19/2008 05:46:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home