17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Quick Spring Fashion Round-up

Just a few quick notes from around the web:


Eliza Magazine - The women's magazine specializing in a modest lifestyle has launched a new website where you can find way more than subscription information. Along with new web articles and a modest dressing resource list, hey have joined the blogging world with a group of women writing about fashion and entertainment news from a "modest" point of view.

Shabby Baby - I have talked about Shabby Apple before - a cute clothing company that produces modern modest dresses that don't scream "I'm modest!". They have now launched Shabby Baby, a line of cute little girls dresses in modern prints with select styles going up to a children's size 12. I also have to give a shout out to their commitment to help women worldwide by Shabby donating 5% of its net proceeds to support work in India through Unitus, a non-profit microlending organization.

Downeast Basics - Downeast Basics has introduced it's Spring offerings and I am really liking a couple of their printed dresses. They are easy, fresh and a seem like a great way to say good-bye to winter (but I keep reminding myself that dresses are not very practical for a breastfeeding mother).

Etsy Alchemy - You should already know how much I love Etsy. They have have now relaunched their Alchemy program which allows buyers to commission specific homemade products. Etsy "homemakers" can then bid on the project and the buyer can then choose between their options. So if you have something specific you need made - from dresses, to cards, to soap, to art (well go straight to Tracy M if you need art), make your request on Alchemy and see who finds you!

Clothkits - For the sewers out there, I have to mention Clothkits. Apparently, this UK company was around in the 70's and 80's but is now making a comeback. The company makes sewing kits where the pattern pieces are printed straight on to the fabric, which you then cut out and sew yourself. Included in the kit is everything you needed to complete the garment. Great idea, huh? Beyond the ingenious kit idea, the clothes (they mostly have kids kits at the moment) are absolutely adorable. Mostly simple dresses, but the color combinations and unique prints have me drooling (and cursing the pound/dollar exchange rate). So join with me as I wait for the company to come up with a cheaper way to get their product to the US so I don't have to pay $50 for a dress that I still have to make.

7 Comments:

  • Thanks for the post - it was just what I needed to keep me entertained and creatively inspired today!
    posted by Blogger Mommymita at 3/13/2008 12:59:00 PM  



  • Ok. Here are a few of my thoughts after poking around all the links.

    1. I love the concept of Eliza - was it started by a lds group? Too bad the New Era does not advertise because this is a great resource for YW who struggle between being modest and having fun with fashion and trends.

    2. I like Shabby Apple but I'm starting to feel like there is so much saturation of these signiture quilting prints. They are fun and unique but I'm starting to see them everywhere.

    3. Love the DownEast printed dress. You are right though about the breast feeding/dressing challenge. I tend to like wrap dresses then wear a cropped shade or tank underneath for easy access. I wish there were more breastfeeding friendly dresses though because it is not fun to be layered up and nursing adds layers with specialty bras and nursing pads not to mention the hot little water bottle baby pressed up against you. Then skirts are very difficult at first when your body is still trying to find its old form. What is the best nursing/dressing combination?

    4. Etsy Alchemy - I'm wondering if I could post a need for some unfinished projects to be finished.

    5. Clothkits- Great idea! I have some concern though about the printing process and whether it would interfere with the hand of the fabric. I'm also wondering if you could just draft patterns directly onto the fabric itself. You know the great thing about kids clothes is there is a larger margin for error. It would even be easier if you had some children's pattern blocks. But that is a whole other conversation where I need to pick your brain.

    Thanks again for posting these links
    posted by Blogger Mommymita at 3/13/2008 01:44:00 PM  



  • Thankyou thankyou for a great post! I appreciate the links... I totally love the Isabella Oliver webstie that I linked to from the first one. Fabulous Maternity offerings! Yay for fashion!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 3/14/2008 05:03:00 AM  



  • Thanks!
    posted by Blogger sunny at 3/14/2008 03:40:00 PM  



  • Great post, Carrie - I too have a deep love for Etsy...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 3/14/2008 09:30:00 PM  



  • Thank you Carrie, I just ordered my Easter dress from downeast!
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 3/14/2008 09:39:00 PM  



  • You always have such good ideas, Carrie.

    I had no idea about the Alchemy stuff on Etsy- what a cool idea.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/15/2008 09:03:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home