17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, November 23, 2007

Made with Love

I love homemade gifts. I love making them, I love giving them. I blame it on my mother - an uber talented woman who with 30+ grandchildren and 15+ great-grandchildren still makes almost every Christmas gift. We tell her she's crazy, but I totally understand her response. She loves homemade gifts as much as I do. The visibly close connection with the human hand is very comforting to me. And giving/getting something that is one-of-a-kind is just plain cool.

This year as I did my Christmas gift planning, (which you have to do early when you plan on making gifts) I noticed my "to make" list was rather long. Too long. Not realistic. So I headed over to one of my favorite websites in the world, Etsy, where you can get homemade gifts without making them in your own home - a dream for the crafter and non-crafter alike. There are so many amazing things to look at and love (and want to call your own).

Here are a few kids gifts that caught my eye during browsing (but know that Etsy has something for everyone). Things go fast around Christmas so they might already by sold (most things are one of a kind), but I have found that most vendors have been more than happy to do custom orders and requests. I assume that as Christmas gets closer though, they might not be as willing.

I love all the homemade food--from crocheted cookies, to chenille ice cream cones to stuffed veggies and felt pasta. So perfect to replace all our nasty plastic play food.

These crocheted cat hats are adorable and all the proceeds go to the sellers local animal shelter. You can't beat that.

If you've got a lot of naked Barbies around your house, these little grandma-made dresses are so perfect.

For the little superhero in your life, these custom capes are awesome.

For the girly-girl, these beautiful felt hairclips make a great stocking stuffer.

If a play kitchen set is on your child's wishlist this year, a cute little apron completes the deal.

You can find so many childhood classics like bean bags, felt finger puppets, flannel board stories, homemade play dough, and shadow puppets.

And if you have always wanted a puppet theater, this one is cute and affordable. And don't forget all the puppets.

What kids wouldn't love these teepees?

And this beautiful doll bed with matching bedding is a doll-lovers dream.

If you have gifts to find, take a look over at etsy before you head over to Target. You are going to love what you find and you're going to realize how good it feels to support "handmade" (and the many moms who love to create and use Etsy as their outlet).

UPDATE: As the last has been brought up, much of what I have linked to has beed "sold out" but most things have been relisted again by the sellers, you just have to click on their store to find the relist.

Also, you have to check out this baby elf hat I just found. So adorable and it has free shipping!


9 Comments:

  • I loved looking through all of the etsy gifts, I think I must have been spoiled with homemade gifts because I had most of those things growing up. I'm glad to see that they are still around.
    posted by Blogger Jessie Jo at 11/24/2007 08:10:00 AM  



  • I completely agree with the homemade gift thing! My family starting doing a "homemade Christmas" when I was about 12 because we were short on money. It became a tradition because we all liked it so much. I still even make homemade gifts for my husband! (Whether he likes them or not is another story). Giving homemade gifts IS time consuming and sometimes overwhelming. I usually don't give gifts to friends because I'm so busy scrambling to make something for all my close family members. Drawing names has helped a lot in that regard. My Christmas goal for this year is to take it easy and not let myself get stressed out. Etsy is a good idea. Thanks, Carrie.
    posted by Blogger Brittany at 11/24/2007 09:10:00 PM  



  • I had never heard of Etsy before, but now I'm hooked! Thanks so much for sharing!! I've already found a ton of things I'd love to purchase.
    posted by Blogger Claire at 11/24/2007 11:44:00 PM  



  • I also had never heard of etsy. Thanks so much for the tip. Love it!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/26/2007 02:06:00 PM  



  • That is a really cool website.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 11/26/2007 05:15:00 PM  



  • Love browsing Etsy but have never purchased. Thanks for this post - I think I'll be doing some Christmas shopping here!
    posted by Blogger Sara at 11/26/2007 05:46:00 PM  



  • I love Etsy- I'm even trying to get up the gumption to do a store.

    Many of my gift are going the homemade route this year. Thanks for this cool post!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 11/26/2007 10:20:00 PM  



  • Can't wait for your store Tracy!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 11/27/2007 08:28:00 PM  



  • Carrie, looking through etsy was so fun! I noticed that about half of the gifts you linked for us to look at are now sold out. I bet this is due to your hipe of their great products.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/30/2007 09:05:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home