17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, March 14, 2008

To Mom

Dear Mom,

I have to write and thank you for this past week.

I have been so scared about my current circumstances and especially about the future, whether it is a week from now or several years from now. Every morning I look at myself in the mirror and I am uncertain about who exactly I am looking at. I am so surprised that at my relatively young age I have had so many opportunities to accomplish so much (in large part by having you as my Mom), and yet I am still in great need of your mothering.

When I was in the hospital, my DH and I knew almost immediately that we would be in need of your services. We got you a flight just as soon as we could. Without batting an eye or exhaling a sigh or uttering an argument, you were here. You were so strong for me this entire week. I only saw you get teary once, and that was when we read a letter from our boy whose serving a mission.

You talked to me about everything but my injuries. You had an endless supply of comments about how great my city is and how great this life I am leading is. You were so enthusiastic about my children’s interests and how I am choosing to raise them. You didn’t flinch when we expected you to drive my car all around the city. You were such a great NYC driver. You were totally up for going on the subway by yourself to take Pukey to school. You delivered Poopy to her school without an argument. Heck, you shared a bed with Poopy for an entire week, now that takes some stamina....she's a kicker.

You circled the block, put your hazard lights on, parallel parked and I think tooted your horn once. You were so brave when placed in all sorts of new circumstances, and I can’t quite express how much that meant to me. Seeing you jump in and try to wo-MAN my life with such moxie, gave me the courage that I need to put one foot in front of the other each day, and to frankly just get out of bed in the morning.

I hope that I can regroup and recover and exercise as much faith and courage as you did for me this week. My girls and I are going to miss your companionship and your joy for life as we are facing the new challenges that next week will bring.

Mom, I really never expected to have a week like this past one with you ever again. As much as I enjoyed and benefitted from it, I hope it was our last one. Thank you for sacrificing a week out of your busy and prosperous life to enhance ours. I am much farther along my path to becoming myself again, because you were here to remind me where I came from and who encouraged me along that path from the start.

I love you.

5 Comments:

  • You have a wonderful mom...who raised such a wonderful, STRONG daughter. Love you :)
    posted by Blogger Sara at 3/14/2008 07:41:00 PM  



  • What beautiful sentiments. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful mother and a lovely relationship. Envious to say the least! Thanks mom for helping our Kage out during this week. We were all so sad we were no longer there to help! Keep your head up Kage! We love you!
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 3/14/2008 09:13:00 PM  



  • So beautiful.
    I'm sure your mom was honored to help you at this time.

    Clearly you feel honored to be hers!
    posted by Blogger onehm at 3/14/2008 09:40:00 PM  



  • Beautiful post.

    I was thinking about you today, actually. Having had my own version of dizzies for the past five years, I have felt a level of empathy for you, even though my specifics are different. Hang in there. Isn't it wonderful when we have support like you do?
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/14/2008 09:56:00 PM  



  • Maybe we didn't cry all week, but I am sure crying now! The reasons for coming were not ideal, but being with you and your family was wonderful. You are going to beat this. Love you forever, Mom
    posted by Blogger Lisa and Doug at 3/15/2008 08:52:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home