17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, April 23, 2007

Anticipating some alone time

It has been approximately fourteen months since I've been alone.

Well, not exactly. There have been date nights, naptimes, girls nights out, and the occassional mani/pedi. But fourteen months ago Baby T was born, and because I breastfed him for a year let's face it, I've had no more than about 6 or so hours alone since then. Now he is successfully weaned and the list of "things I've been wanting to do" has begun. So what have I chosen to do first? This week I'm going to New York City BY MYSELF. Yep... no husband or child. DH is playing Mr. Mom for a week of daddy/son bonding and I will be off to stay in Astoria for a few days, go into Manhattan everyday, play with friends, and see a Broadway show (or two). I will be alone.

My friends in New York keep apologizing that they might have to work one of the afternoons I'm there, or have an audition to go to, but they don't realize how long it has been since I've been alone. I don't care if all I do is walk up & down 5th Avenue all day long, I will be doing it by myself, on my time, without a diaper bag in tow. No naptimes to schedule around or snacks to pack. I'm even excited to get on an airplane alone (especially after last week's flight across country with my fourteen-month old - YIKES!) I can read a magazine or SLEEP! I'm gonna miss T like crazy (and DH of course), but I'm anticipating some time to get back to myself... rejuvenate and re-energize so that I will come back an enthusiastic mommy.

I'm a little nervous, and a little surprised that I feel a bit insecure being alone after a year of always having a buddy in tow. But I'm also ready to enjoy a week of ME time, and grateful to a DH who can give me a little of that. So NYC, here I come.... maybe I'll have a new tribute to write once I return.

10 Comments:

  • YAY! And Good for you!!!

    I love alone time. Since I'm going nutso right now, I booked a flight to go see my MIL and 2 SIL's in a couple of weekends...however, my baby will only be 3 months old, so he's coming too. BUT! I'm leaving the three oldest crazies behind, and I'm sooooo looking forward to a whining-free weekend.

    Here's to "me" time! :)
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 4/23/2007 09:07:00 AM  



  • Sweet Beth! I am so glad that you will have some time. It is SOOOO important, especially as a wife and mom. You are so beautiful, and so wonderful. Window shop until your heart is content!!!
    Love you,
    Jen (aka sister West)
    posted by Blogger Layton Clan at 4/23/2007 10:24:00 AM  



  • that sounds SO good right now. I'm tied down by nursing for now, but maybe I should start a list anyway :)
    posted by Blogger cchrissyy at 4/23/2007 11:14:00 AM  



  • How wonderful! Have a great trip!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 4/23/2007 12:15:00 PM  



  • You are doing such a great thing for yourself and you will come back a better mommy for T, I promise.

    I've taken two such trips since Noe was born and the only guilt I felt was that I felt no guilt.

    I was so happy and energized during my time away. Wahhhh...I want another trip!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 4/23/2007 01:27:00 PM  



  • Good for you, Beth! This will be one of the very best things you could ever do for yourseld. I second what Jen said - you will be a better mom for your boy, re-energized and ready to attack life again.

    Have a blast!
    posted by Blogger Sara at 4/23/2007 05:27:00 PM  



  • Oh my gosh, I am so excited that my kids are going to visit their grandma for 10 LOOOOOOOOONG DAYS. I know I will miss them ,but I am so excited...
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/23/2007 05:35:00 PM  



  • Can you believe my husband actually suggested I bring the kids with me when I fly cross country 7 months pregnant to visit him?! On my last chance EVER to travel without kids(sort of)? NO WAY!! I figure that since the in-laws offered to watch the boys they deserve whatever they get...
    Don't forget to eat something your family likes without sharing any of it, that always makes me feel good! And try on shoes for as long as you want, and get all dolled up just to go buy a paper, aw heck, just have fun.......
    posted by Blogger Mo at 4/23/2007 07:51:00 PM  



  • Have a wonderful time, but remember re-entry to your life can be painful, prepare yourself!
    I'm about to do the opposite- My youngest of 3 kids is 5 yrs and we're about to have a baby. I'm very used to having alone time, my kids are independant. The hardest adjustment with this baby will be that constant presence at my side needing attention and care. Oh boy!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/24/2007 07:05:00 AM  



  • What a nice break that will be! I also love being alone--just so I complete my own thoughts once in a while before being interrupted with a "Why?" or "What if?" question (you'll know what I mean when Tyler turns four). I get to leave my children and go to Hawaii with my mom and sister in a couple of weeks and I am totally looking forward to it.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/24/2007 01:51:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home