17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, October 09, 2006

Classic

It's been a few weeks now since Pukey started Pre-k. She seems to be loving it. I love it because we have a routine every morning, and I get 4-6 glorious hours away from her (we have a half day on Wed, the other days, it's 6 hours). This is best for both of us. We value our limited time together more, and we get along much better. I have even had a playdate for her once a week (being the neat freak that I am...this is a big step for me to let not one, but two children come over and completely destroy my house).

Already at the age of 4 we have this conversation everyday:
Kage: How was your day?
P: fine
Kage: What did you do at school today?
P: nothing
Kage: Did you learn about anything?
P: no
Kage: Did you make any new friends?
P: no

Sometimes I will get yes answers to the following questions: Did you play outside? Did you eat lunch? Did you have a snack? Do you have homework?

I got a pretty good conversation going when she said to me one day: "Mom, I'll be right back," and walked over to her friend Joe. She was acting pretty flirty with Joe, so I said, "Is Joe your boyfriend?" She replied, "Yes, but he doesn't know I am his girlfriend." So, I am pretty sure it is a one-sided crush. And apparently they sit next to each other, but that won't last long, as my little Pukey can get pretty silly around boys she likes.

Last night after we prayed over our dinner, DH asked Pukey, "Do you pray at school?" She immediately put down her fork and demonstrated: As she made the sign of the cross with her pointer finger pointing to her forehead and shoulders and such, she said it perfectly: In the name of the Father, the Son.....etc. Then she clasped her hands together under her chin and said another little pray something like: God is good, God is great.....etc. and then ended again with the sign of the cross and smiled.

My husband and I just sat there in awe. We had been asking her about what she had been learning for weeks, and apparently now we know. We were not surprised because after all, it is a Catholic School. We were concerned at first, but then realized that she had never tried to pray like that for any of our family, FHE, food or primary prayers. Something in her brain isolates the one from the other. In fact, over the past few months her "mormon" prayers have gotten a lot better. For probably one whole year she included this as the bulk of her prayer: "Bless everyone to eat strong and healthy foods." I don't know where that came from, but it was her signature prayer, no matter what the occasion.

The good thing about this is that she is learning to pray over snacks and lunch. She is learning about what she has in common with other Christians, and she is showing gratitude on a daily basis. I don't remember much if anything about my schooling until about 1st grade, so I don't think she will be wanting to convert to Catholicism any time soon. This is just another example of our child going out into the world and bringing a little something home with her. It's only the beginning...








13 Comments:

  • I for one love this story. I love that she is learning so young about other religions. Not to mention about other cultures.

    Oh, and was it my two children you were mentioning that destroyed your house? He He...
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 10/09/2006 09:02:00 PM  



  • Hilarious. Classic is right. Joe is a lucky guy! Next thing you know, Pukey will have the whole primary praying and crossing themselves!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 10/09/2006 09:03:00 PM  



  • I too love this story - so classic. I can picture all of it in my head.

    DS goes to a Methodist affiliated preschool and the other day I put a snack in front of him and he goes, "Mom, watch!" He then held his hands in front of him in the classic 'prayer' position and said, "Thank you God for our food, thank you God for the birds!" And looked at me with a huge bright smile.

    Hey, at least they're teaching the kids to be grateful!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/10/2006 12:17:00 AM  



  • It's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles to get a report of school happenings. Princess answers the exact same way.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 10/10/2006 08:51:00 AM  



  • That's really cute.

    My youngest was the same way, it was like pulling teeth. I learned to ask really specific questions. What'd you do at recess? Who sits at your table? What'd you have for snack? What'd you play with during play time? What songs did you sing in circle time? Etc
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/10/2006 11:16:00 AM  



  • My #1 must be pretty unique --when I ask her about her day, she gives me a somewhat detailed description in chronological order. I have to stop her sometimes and ask specifically: "What book did she read? What snack did you have? Who did you play with at recess?" but she's pretty good about responding.

    However, she's always grumpy. So grumpy and ends up fighting with her siblings within minutes --and we're still driving home! I'm still trying to figure this out --the only solution I've come up with is that school must be great and she likes being with peers.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 10/10/2006 12:33:00 PM  



  • I used to get responses like that from my first when he was in Kindergarten. I still get those responses, and he's in 5th grade now. (sigh) We've even tried using questions that require more than a "yes/no" answer. (e.g., What was your favorite part about today? What was the best/worst thing that happened to you today?)

    I used to get stressed out about having other kids over to my house, too. Now that I have three boys, it's not as big a stress for me. But it took a long time to get to that point.
    posted by Blogger Sister Pottymouth at 10/10/2006 12:59:00 PM  



  • Oh, yeah. We have the same drill every time I pick Jeff up at school- glad it's not just my kid...
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/11/2006 12:47:00 AM  



  • Cheryl, I've noticed the same thing with my DS - he's great in preschool, always a good report from his teacher but as soon as we get into the car the meltdowns occur. It doesnt' matter how good his day was, he just can't hold it together for more than 30 minutes after I pick him up! It's frustrating. I've decided its because he's been having fun for 3-5 hours, lots of stimulation, new things and then MOM comes back to take him away from his fun.

    That's what I tell myself at least.

    As far as the report on school, I usually get everything - he's a talkative kid, though. He always talks about what he, Nicholas and Leo did that day - the moms of the other two boys say the same thing.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/11/2006 07:44:00 AM  



  • My youngest was a bear right after coming home from preschool. I couldn't take him anywhere. He absolutely had to have a nap, or it was monster-time.

    I once tried to drive to the store without making him nap, and he somehow managed to climb out of his car seat and attempted to put my mini-van into Park (the automatic transmission), in the middle of driving down the highway at 50mph. When that didn't work, he tried turning the ignition off. It's hard to fight off a 3 year old when you're trying not to hit other cars.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/11/2006 05:51:00 PM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger Tandy at 10/11/2006 09:46:00 PM  



  • That is so funny! It always amazes me how much these little people absorb.
    This is my DD's second year at her preschool, she started at 3. Last year she would tell us everything about her day. This year, it's all a secret. She won't tell us anything about it if we ask her. Sometimes I hear little pieces about her day, but it's usually about her friends. I think she is just happy to have something of her own now that the twins are here. Today DH asked her to please tell him what she did at preschool, he really wanted to know. She said "I really like it to be my special secret!"
    posted by Blogger Tandy at 10/11/2006 09:47:00 PM  



  • That's really cute, Tandy. When my husband was home with the kids he had a daily routine with our youngest---every morning before school he gave him a "secret mission." It was always whispered, and it was always the same: Have fun today.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/12/2006 02:58:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home