17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, June 02, 2006

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Okay, not really, but I did take Princess, Pumpkin on a short trip up to the Bay Area this week. The only thing that came close to leaving my heart there was seeing Marian and Chloefor the first time in a long while and then having to say goodbye a few hours later.

The few days were jam packed full of fun, family and friends. I had one half-day that I wanted to spend in San Francisco with my kids, so I emailed an old high school friend who works in the city for some ideas of what we could do. She sent me this awesome list with links which I found very helpful. Thought I would pass it on for the next time you are in SF with kids.


1. Stroll along Fisherman's Wharf
Good sourdough bread/soup/sandwiches at Boudin Bakery. TONS of touristy shops.

2. Walk on the very short path to Fort Point for a good picture. People don't really realize this is the place to get the best views of the Golden Gate Bridge.

3. Ride a cable car.

4. Get an ice cream sundae at Ghiradelli Square.

5. Check out the Exploratorium (very near fort point and great for kids)

6. Take a Ferry ride (don't think free like Staten Island, you have to pay) and walk through the Restored Ferry Building. There are a few options for rides from long expedition to short trip. It's a fun way to see the bay...dress warm!

7. Wander Chinatown (weird trinkets galore).

For a map of san francisco, click here.

We decided to head out to Fort Point because I wanted to get the Golden Gate Bridge photo op. It was a great view (except for the fog). I highly recommend it. The surroundings were beautiful. You would never think you were in a big city. Then we headed over to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch. I had the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl and Princess had popcorn shrimp and fries from one of the crab shacks. YUMMY! We listened to a great street performer performing some orginal blues numbers while we ate our food. It was a wonderful afternoon in the city.


5 Comments:

  • I am so glad you enjoyed San Fran. I was there two weekends ago and it didn't leave the same impact on me.

    It was stinky, not as dirty as here, but still dirty. Too many homeless people. I almost puked walking through China town. The aquarium at the wharf SUCKED for the money you pay to get in. It was rainy and muggy, which is no change from the dozen other times I have been there. Too many big hills to push a double stroller up and down. I hate seafood so I didn't get to enjoy the local food.

    I have come to realize I feel the same way about all big cities. I just don't like them!

    That is me, always a pesimist! He he...
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/03/2006 09:53:00 AM  



  • We went to SF quite a few times growing up, and I have really good memories of all these places...and I would add Golden Gate Park to the list as well.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/03/2006 12:13:00 PM  



  • I'm homesick too! I'm gonna be there on July 3 though, and am looking forward to it. My kids like the merry-go-round at the Metreon and that Buena Vista park area near the SFMoMa. It's usually nicer weather down there too.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/04/2006 07:46:00 AM  



  • Great list Carrie - I'll have to try some of your finds.

    If you have more than a day and active kids, take them to the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito - it's gorgeous (at the base of GG bridge) and soooo much fun.

    I'm so glad that me and Marian were able to get together with you and the girls!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 6/04/2006 07:29:00 PM  



  • I am dying to go to San Fransisco. Now that I live on the west coast it is a trip on the top of my list. This post gets me excited to visit. Hopefully when the baby is bigger DH & I can have a kid-free mini-break in SF. I'll use this post as reference for that trip. Thanks.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/05/2006 04:50:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home