17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, June 01, 2006

His name was Ginger...

Just call me the mother of all living. To preface this story I will say, I have a BIG heart for animals. It's just who I am. Always have been and always will be an animal freak!

One day DH, DD and I were walking to get a rental car and on the way we passed a place that sold live chickens for consumption. I was horrified! An animal activist of sorts and at the time a vegetarian I felt just sick inside. Where was I? I felt like I was in a third world country, not in NY city. You could actually see them all tightly packed in their cages, and I swear I even watched a man walk out with chicken feet sticking out of a bag.

My DH urged that we move on so we did. It took a bit to get our car and DD was bored, so I told DH I would meet him on the corner. I didn't want to pass this place again, for fear I would NEVER recover. As I started to cross to the other side of the street I look up and see about 100 feet in front of me a chicken running towards me yelling "HELP ME, HELP ME"! Without hesitation I sprang into action. I pushed my daughter in her stroller over to the side and corralled this chicken to a nearby porch of a house. I did what any good wife is supposed to do, I called my DH and told him what happened, and he knowing me so well and confirming yet again why I married him in the first place said, "grab her we will take her home". That is all I needed to hear and I continued on with what I had started.

I threw my daughters blanket over the chicken and ran to the corner, my DH drove up and we all jumped in! It was quite a rush. Now, I am going to stop here and squash any notion that I stole this chicken. That was the reaction of some when telling this story. I did not steal the chicken. I had no intention of eating it. I didn't take it from the establishment. For all I know, it was just a random chicken on the street. In need of my help. I like to view it as I rescued the chicken.

Anyways, we got home and luckily where we lived the basement was unfinished, so my DH and I made a home for her down there. We named her Ginger from the movie Chicken Run. I had no idea what to feed her or how to tend to her, I have never had chickens before. So I just guessed she would like corn and oats and made her a yummy dinner which she ate right up. She was so cute and soooo sweet. She followed us around the basement and would sit on my lap. She was like a dog. I could tell she was so thankful to have been rescued.

On nice days we put her in the back yard which she loved. She became part of the family. About 8 months passed, she had grown up nice and big. So big in fact that I was beginning to get suspicious. She ate a ton and was doing strange things with her food and kicking it around her pen. She also took on a bit of a different appearance. One morning it became clear why the changes. She woke us up with a COCK A DOODLE DO!!

Ginger was a rooster.

So funny! I took, I mean rescued one of their roosters! It was over the next couple months that I realized it was time to find a home for Ginger. (I couldn't change his name, we had been calling him/her that for months.) I began calling different rescues and shelters and people laughed at my story and felt bad, but no one was willing or able to help me. I learned that they are hard to have on a farm. Evidently you can't have more than one. They fight. And they are loud. Which we had discovered when he cock a doodle dood all day and night!

I finally found a lady that said "bring him out". To me this lady was a saint. She had about 200 rescued animals at her house. The smell was out of this world, but wow, she was so awesome for doing all that she did for animals. She had a handful of chickens and a couple other roosters, but she thought it would work. We spent a few hours out there with her and all her animals. Time came for us to say our tearful goodbyes.

When we got home, I missed him. I still day dream that we can get him in another year and take him to California with us. I am certain he is happy and in a very good place. I got to be his foster mother for 10 months. The best part of this story I had to save for the end is the lady with the big heart... lives in the Hamptons. Yep, from the streets of Queens to the luxury of the Hamptons!! Enjoy the good life Ginger. You are now living better than most of us ever will!

13 Comments:

  • Oh Z, I never tire of hearing this great NY story. It makes me hope that our lives are somehow videographed and someday in heaven we can watch scenes like this over and over. Ginger was a beautiful chicken/rooster but I can't believe you still dream of taking him to Cali one day. I am so NOT an animal person but I love that you are. You are my dream neighbor. Whenever my child would ask "Mommy, can I have a dog, hairless rat or rooster?" I could just say- "Honey, I'll give Z a call to see if her kids can play."
    posted by Blogger Krista at 6/01/2006 08:48:00 PM  



  • Tracy,
    Somehow I KNEW you'd make a Crazy Chicken Annie comment here! It was just too perfect!!

    My mom had a duck she rescued. It was very loving and definitely quieter than a rooster!
    posted by Blogger Mo at 6/01/2006 09:47:00 PM  



  • I love this story! Thanks for sharing.
    posted by Blogger Julie at 6/01/2006 09:58:00 PM  



  • I remember when I heard this story at your house...kind of didn't believe you until I was in the basement watching Ginger follow you around like a cute little puppy.
    Never knew that Ginger made it to the Hamptons- classic.
    How many animals will you have when you have a house in Cali?
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 6/01/2006 10:50:00 PM  



  • I did not believe it either until I saw Ginger. And Z I too am glad that you make up for my detest for animals.

    I am glad you got rid of Ginger b/c she kind of smelled.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 6/02/2006 05:50:00 AM  



  • Tracy M thank you for sharing your post about your aunt. I loved it. I am so happy when I know that their are people like her out there in the world. I sometimes feel all alone. I would love to be her neighbor someday! Krista, Melissa, Kage, thank you for loving me and my animals. I appreciate when people can admit they are not animal people and don't have them around just because... and you can always get your fill, or your kids fill with mine.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/02/2006 06:28:00 AM  



  • One thing I love about living in Utah now is that our next-door neighbors have a bunch of chickens, chickies and ducks that just wander all over their yard and ours. One of the chickens (a big, fluffy-soft white one) is trained like a pet dog and comes to the owner when he calls its name. I never really thought of chickens as "pets" before!
    posted by Blogger Legendary Pink Dot at 6/02/2006 07:54:00 AM  



  • Zinone,

    Me too....this is one of my fav Queens tales. I still can't believe you "rescued" Ginger and kept him in your NYC apt for so long!!! Didn't your landlord ever know? I think its really cool how you care for these animals so amazingly well. The last time I was over to your house, I noticed your DD doing the same...I'm sure she'll follow in your footsteps.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/02/2006 07:48:00 PM  



  • So we take our kids to NYC for 2 weeks and their favorite part of the trip... taking care of "aunt Z's" animals!!! Are you serious? All that money spent on Lion King on Broadway, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building- and that's their favorite part!! And yes, it was while Ginger was the downstairs resident. You should have seen us coming up with things to feed her. She was quite the character- I miss her too-- NOT! This is where my sister and I differ, she is an animal freak... loves every animal. Me, on the other hand, well, when someone asked my kids what my favorite animal was, they said, "stuffed." They were wrong, I don't even like stuffed animals! Cats are my least favorite, and guess who Z named her beloved cat after? ME! Thanks sis!! You are so great!
    posted by Blogger Jules at 6/03/2006 12:08:00 AM  



  • I think this is my absolute favorite NYC story. The thought of you jumping into the getaway car with the chicken under a baby blanket screaming "go, go, go!" to your dh makes me laugh so hard

    Okay, so maybe it wasn't quite as dramatic as that.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/03/2006 08:46:00 AM  



  • Carrie hat is precisely what it was like, a scene out of a movie like I had just robbed a bank. BJHBHB, I am so happy that your kids still have a love for animals despite your lack of interest in them... they can always count on me to keep them entertained. Send em here for a few weeks so you can have some free time... you need it.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/03/2006 09:56:00 AM  



  • Love it love it love it.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 6/04/2006 07:29:00 PM  



  • This is one of the most classic Z moments ever. Makes me love and appreciate you that much more. Thanks for the smile.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/09/2006 08:32:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home