17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Please Help Us Find Sugar



We have been really trying to increase the quality of Princess' prayers as of late. When she first learned to pray almost two years ago, we started off like most parents, teaching her to mimic what we said. Now she is older and I think she is ready to grasp more of the actual concept of prayer. So we talked to her about what she would like to say in her prayers, who she could bless, what she is thankful for and what she could use help with. I told her that Heavenly Father would help her with whatever she prayed for. My adult brain tells me it's really not that simple, but I figure it's an okay place to start with a 3 year old.

I remember a time when it really was that simple for me. When I was a child, I had unwavering faith in prayer. Anytime I lost anything, my glasses, my jacket, mom's car keys, I knew all I had to do was pray and they would be found. I just knew it. And why did I know it, because of faith + experience. I had tested it and it had worked. As an adult, I sometimes feel a little scared to "test" it. The stakes are usually higher than lost glasses or keys and the desired outcomes more complex. I admit my faith in prayer had wavered with age. So, how was I supposed to teach my daughter to have faith in prayer?

A couple of days after my prayer conversation with Princess and the journey down memory lane (which left me feeling a little like a hypocrite) we had some friends over to play. As they were leaving, somehow our dog escaped out of the open front door. I didn't even notice she was gone for almost two hours. She'd done this before (Kage has had the pleasure of scouring our NYC neighborhood for her a few times). Now, a new neighborhood, her old tag, her cluelessness about the danger of cars and the fact that it had never taken me this long to realize she was gone, left me completely sick to my stomach. I was sure this time I would not be lucky enough to find her, at least not alive.

I got the baby out of bed and loaded her and Princess into the car to begin the search. As I jumped in the car, I felt like I needed to say a prayer.

Heavenly Father, please help us find Sugar. We really love her a lot. Amen.

Princess added her confident Amen and I started the car, ready for a long night of searching, poster making and worrying. I looked up in my rear view mirror to back out of the driveway and there she was--Sugar, alive and well, running right to us, not more than 20 ft away. I tried hard to fight back the tears because Princess still doesn't quite understand why people cry if they are not sad.

Thank you Heavenly Father. Thank you for helping us find Sugar. Thank you for reminding me, and teaching my daughter, that sometimes prayer really can be that simple.

7 Comments:

  • Carrie, that is sweet. So sweet. I'm glad you found Sugar and both you and Princess had such a great experience with prayer all in one!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 5/17/2006 09:03:00 PM  



  • I'm so glad the story had a happy ending! Thank you for the reminder about simple, trusting faith. What a great mom!
    posted by Blogger Millie at 5/17/2006 10:08:00 PM  



  • Oh Sugar. You are so quiet and so sneaky. I remember moving day when you were all the way down to Astoria Blvd and the mailman delivered you. I remember being 9 months pregnant and RUNNING the blocks looking for you, b/c you were Carrie's dog, and because I wanted my water to break. Sugar, the cat-like dog (anybody seen Barbie's princess and pauper?...she is like opposite of Wolfie), I am glad you bring joy to Carrie's life..but you still smell.

    Thanks for sharing.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/18/2006 05:28:00 AM  



  • Oh, that's so awesome. Thanks for sharing that, carrie. :)
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 5/18/2006 06:49:00 AM  



  • Yes, thanks for sharing. Right now I am trying to make sure my son is fed, clean and has slept well. What a big (and wonderful) responsibility to teach your children the gospel. You are a great example. Such a sweet story.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 5/18/2006 11:04:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/19/2006 09:00:00 AM  



  • It's nice to know that being 4 and repeating the same prayer is a universal issue. Pukey has recited the same one for about 6 months now. She was recently asked to give the closing prayer in Sacrament Meeting, which was a good opportunity to practice a prayer that included NOT just "everybody to eat strong and healthy foods". It went pretty well. She learned a new word: WARD.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/19/2006 09:01:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home