17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, September 12, 2008

TV again...

Ok, I admit it, I tivoed the season premiere of 90210.

See, it was a staple show for me, for a long time back in the day. My Dad hated that I watched it, and probably didn't know that I watched it as much as I did. The summer between my Junior and Senior year, my friend and I watched it over our lunch break. We were fairly invested.

When I started seeing the ads pop up on my subway ride, I was intrigued. I began by IMDBing the cast, and when I saw my favorite Jennie Garth was in the cast, that swayed me. I wanted to see it.

So, I did see it.

I saw 20-somethings playing 15 and 16-year-olds. I saw a cast of actors trying to settle into roles that aren't quite comfortable yet. I saw Lori Loughlin from another of my old faves (Full House), looking pretty good in her (by Hollywood's standards) old age. And in the first five minutes I saw a scene simulating/suggesting a blow job in the car parked outside of Beverly Hills High.

I think I just made our blog rated R. Sorry.

I watched the entire show because after that first scene, I realized that the programming for the teenage set have pumped it up a notch since I was a teenager. I knew somewhere in my mind that this was happening, and having a teenage-sister, she has educated me on the changes in the atmosphere in the hallways at high school.

Since I watched it, I have noticed all the Gossip Girl ads around my town. The first one that stood out was earlier in the summer in Times Square. It had four letters: OMFG. And there was a sex scene from the upcoming premiere in the background of these letters.

So, now I'm freaking out about the future programming for my children. Now, I know that I can throw my tv away, make a rule that they are not allowed to watch it, yadda, yadda, yadda....but I can't control what they watch at friend's houses, what their friends talk to them about, and a host of other uncontrollable variables.

I want to know what's out there to influence, tempt, affect my girls. I don't want to be totally out of it when they come to me with something they want to watch. So, should I be spot-tivoing some of these shows for the next 7 + years so that I am prepared for those teenagers and protecting them from the smut? Should I just let it be, and then start researching as quandries present themselves? What do I do?

8 Comments:

  • I would check ratings (TV-14? Ack!) and read reviews. What I wouldn't do is subject yourself to the crap and smut all in the name of "protecting the children."

    Another tool is to just go with your gut. Does it feel wrong? Then don't do it. I guess gut equates Spirit, too, so that helps a lot.

    I don't know. Watching shows to check for smut doesn't really help your mind and spirit, and what if the girls one day see the trashy shows on your TiVo? I mean, my kids know they aren't allowed to watch certain shows that parents watch (sitcoms, dramas, etc.), but if I was watching Sponge Bob (just an example here) and they couldn't? I think they'd be confused, a tad betrayed, and maybe more apt to rebel.

    But I rarely know anything, so whatever. ;)
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 9/12/2008 11:01:00 AM  



  • Hi Kage,

    I was pretty shocked by the opening scenes in 90210 as well. I would not let a young teen girl watch it, but I'm kinda conservative.

    A few of the things that have bothered me about kids/tweens programming is how bratty the kids are and how mature they dress. I don't remember this from the shows I used to watch (Full House, Growing Pains, Cosby Show, etc.) The girls also seemed to be obsessed with boys, which I know has always been the case, but at least back then they looked and acted like kids, not twentysomethings trying to be 15.

    What I find funny too is that the preschool programming has taken away all forms of violence and bad guys (I'm talking about shows like Looney Tunes or Smurfs as examples) and made the worst thing they see as Swiper stealing some toy and throwing it in the trees. They've taken the bad guys out of Strawberry Shortcake even. I'm not complaining about that (although I enjoyed some of the older versions much better than the newer versions of some cartoons) but I think they should take a look at the messages they are sending to the group of kids between the preschool set and teenagers.

    My advice would be to watch the show first to see if you think it's appropriate or to watch with your daughters and talk about what they are showing and how it relates to your personal set of values.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9/12/2008 11:42:00 AM  



  • I feel like I grew up and graduated with the original 90210 - there are days I still watch its re-runs. However, if any of my children sat down with me during one of those re-runs I'd be sure to shut it off. And that was then....I didn't see the new show but it does not sound the least bit up lifting.

    Questions like these do require a bit of pondering and inspiration.

    With regards to Media Elder Ballard gave an excellent conference talk in 2003. I especially liked how he stated


    The time has come when members of the Church need to speak out and join with the many other concerned people in opposition to the offensive, destructive, and mean-spirited media influence that is sweeping over the earth


    I have wondered how to most effectively do that?

    My boys watch a lot of Sports which seems to still be safe except for the commercials which have also changed a lot since we were kids.

    You cribs girls seem to be somewhat savvy so any practical tips on how to stand up to the media? If we don't do it who will?
    posted by Blogger Mommymita at 9/12/2008 02:25:00 PM  



  • the tough thing about things like this is that although there are questionable (and not so questionable!) elements, there can also be good things...

    i missed the season premiere of 90210 but saw last week's episode, in which the family made it mandatory to have family activities on friday nights--they talked about family togetherness, helping those in need, getting kids out of scary situations and into healthy environments.

    crazy how satan slips bad in with the good!

    i think you need to weigh the bad vs. the good, and encourage your kids to watch tv programs that are appropriate now. set an example for them as well.

    once they get to be teens, if they've been taught not only to NOT watch questionable material but also the WHY of it, they will be much more likely to choose to watch something else.

    the big thing is they need to know WHY they shouldn't be watching shows like that.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9/12/2008 04:18:00 PM  



  • The reason we cut out cable and pretty much watching any main stream tv is becuase it just wasn't worth wading through the crap to get what few positives there were out of it. I can catch news, politics, and even the latest episodes of the office/DWTS online any time of day with NO COMMERCIALS.

    I really hope to get my kids to understand and be able to recognize trash when they see it, and just turn it off. If it is offensive in any way, with violence, sex, or foul language, I want them to be sensitive to it and know that it is a pointless, usless waste of time.

    What can I say, I'm an idealist.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 9/12/2008 10:03:00 PM  



  • rachel h, now hold on.....commercials are my bread and butter lady! ; )
    posted by Blogger Kage at 9/13/2008 10:39:00 AM  



  • Clean commercials/the kind you do are no prob- usually it's the Vicky's Secret ones/Previews for other shows that we find ourselves racing to the remote to change before our 6 and 3 yr old have to see heaven only knows what- and they soak every last word and image in!!YIKES!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 9/13/2008 09:22:00 PM  



  • Huh. Ironically, episode 2 read like an after school special. I suspect that they played up the first epi to attract an audience...either that, or received negative feedback on the pilot. 2 centered around "family drama." You know, parents want to spend time with the kids; girl catches dad cheating on mom (just kissing, btw); another girl has alcoholic mom at home and sleeps in her car instead. I hope I didn't ruin someone's Tivo. :o)
    posted by Blogger HHRose at 9/19/2008 08:59:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home