17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Chastity "Talk" and a Five Year Old...

I have a 5 year old - The Boy. Today in sacrament our talks were on chastity. I didn't stop for one moment to consider that The Boy would be paying attention...so very intently...

We got off to a funny start. The Girl (nearly 4) proclaimed that the hymns sounded like baby music. Then The Boy announced that one of the speakers had ears like a goblin. I gently reminded him to not tell anyone else his thoughts on that one.

I was sitting with a friend (my hubby is out of town) and she and I were quietly chatting when suddenly I was hit with a barage of questions from the boy:

"Mom, what is chastity?"

"Ummm...ummmmmm...hang on....ummmmmm. Uh, don't have sex or touch a girls boobies until you get married, OK? Just listen to mom on this one, OK?" I mean come on, who has a discussion with a 5 year old about chastity....I did the best I could under fire.

The boy giggled and giggled. "OK, mom"

"MOM! What is a sin?"

"Mom, what is temptation?"

"Mom, what is marriage?"

I explained all of the above as best I could. When I finished with marriage, The Boy proclaimed that he was never going to get married.

"But what if there is a girl that you really love and want to be with forever and ever?"

"Nah, I'm not going to get marrried. I"ll just have girlfriends".

I can see that chastity is going to be a bigger problem than I originally thought.

On a positive note, that kid listened to every single word of the talks. Really took it all in. Please Lord, let him remember some of it going forward...please...

7 Comments:

  • He knows what having sex is? Yikes!That whole convo makes me get heart palpitations!! Oh my goodness.. we haven't had to have any talks yet- thank the heavens above!

    Side-Note to tales girls-
    This girl could use some advice(as in a post) on how to do "the talk" cuz it's not something I am feeling comfortable with. AT ALL.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 8/18/2008 08:23:00 AM  



  • that sounds like a conversation that i am sure will come up with my almost 4 year old boy. he has asked where my pee comes from and I told him my bottom. that seemed to suffice until today when he told me i need to go to the store and by a pen!s.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/18/2008 09:19:00 AM  



  • I am impressed that your son was so attentive to the speakers. Funny that it was this topic. I have a 6 y/o boy. That is having a hard time learning to keep his clothes on. He and his little buddy have been caught a number of times running around the basement naked, or changing clothes for no real reason. The both of them have been caught about the same number of times playing "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" with a couple of different neighbor girls too. We are at our wits end on this. My wife ended up telling him he is to never ever undress infront of anybody. I am waiting for the questions in a public locker room,(like swimming pool) or waiting for the day he has gym class and has to change. How do we field that now that mom has laid down the strick law? I ask in jest. Keep praying that those lessons continue to sink in.
    posted by Blogger Vince at 8/18/2008 01:06:00 PM  



  • I was surprised to be involved in a SSM with my 5 year old girl.

    "Daddy when I grow up I'm going to marry Crystal" (her 19 year old horse riding instructor)

    "Girls don't marry girls."

    "Sometimes they do!"

    "They do? Who told you that?"

    "Mommy. And I'm going to marry Michael too."
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/18/2008 02:05:00 PM  



  • I can so picture this conversation

    My question is, does he always listen so intently to the sacrament meeting talks? Or did he hear something in this one that made his ears perk up?

    and BTW, he is not allowed near any of my daughters.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/18/2008 08:19:00 PM  



  • Carrie, he usually listens. But SOMETHING really piqued his interest this time (and those of us who know him are not surprised).

    I will keep him away from Princess and Pumpkin for as long as I am able :)
    posted by Blogger Sara at 8/18/2008 10:52:00 PM  



  • We too have a 7 yr. old that has 2 girlfriends and one in SLC that he is going to marry. It's not easy teaching them when it is so prevalent in society....s-x sells everything now. My advice is don't give up. This after already raising 2 sons and 3 daughters.... BTW like your blog just found it. Go take a look at mine if you like
    www.rickclarkefamily.blogspot.com
    posted by Blogger Annie at 8/19/2008 10:32:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home