17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

back to school adjustments

I think we're all in summer mode around here (and aren't exactly at our blogging best - except tftcarrie and kage, who are carrying us!). But as August arrives, I'm turning my thoughts to back-to-school prep, as we start in just a few weeks. And I've got a lot of work to do as we begin the Elementary School Adventure!

There are clothes to buy. I've at least started that process, inspired by some of the awesome creations that Carrie showcases on her blog and in her flickr pool. She's incredible! So I've purchased a few t's and button-downs that I'm planning on freezer-paper stenciling and possibly doing some iron-ons. It's my first experiment, wish me luck! I've drawn inspiration on more "boy" designs from a random catalog I just got, and of course a couple of my favorites. Now I've just got to get pants and shoes and take a break before we do all the winter outdoor gear.

There are supplies to get? Maybe? I haven't heard anything from the school or the teacher, so I don't know any specifics. I'm planning on getting a new lunchbox - again found from Carrie, really, I'm not stalking her or anything - but beyond that, I'll have to wait and see what I'm told.

There are schedules to change. This is the hardest of all. We are currently in summer mode, which means my little man is getting up at about 7:30 / 8:00, and I'm rarely getting up before 8:30 if I can help it. As the school day will be starting at 8:00am, this has got to change! I'm thinking the slow-and-steady, wake up a few minutes earlier & go to bed a few minutes earlier each day is the way to go. But this one really takes a lot of work and dedication on my part, and... well... I like to sleep. And I'm bad at going to bed on time. Sigh....

I know some of you are already back in school, or are rapidly heading in that direction. Do you have any special rituals you use to mark the end of summer? Ways you help your family adjust to the daily routine again? Would love to hear your thoughts!

7 Comments:

  • don't worry....I stalk Carrie too!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 8/06/2008 06:35:00 AM  



  • First of all- I LOVE Laptop Lunchboxes! My girls have been using their's for almost 4 years now, and I take one to preschool with me. They are fabulous.

    The only real "tradition" that we have is that the night before school starts my husband gives us priesthood blessings. I think it helps start the school year off on the right note. Sometimes we'll also go out to dinner the night of the first day of school. It's just something to look forward to.
    posted by Blogger The Sauls Family at 8/06/2008 07:27:00 AM  



  • we have laptop lunches, too. my girls LOVE them! for everyday use, i need to come up with a few master lists of what to pack so we don't get into a rut.

    we have uniforms, so no fun shopping, boohoo. :( STRICT uniforms, too, so i can't even substitute their hideous blouses for a kinder, gentler version. but she sure looks cute in her plaid jumper, peter pan collar blouse, and cardigan!

    our school only has one class per grade (less than 200 kids in the entire school, k through 8), so they just send out a mass list with supplies needed for EVERY class. i've seen lists for the entire districts at target? i'm bummed that things are so specific that it's taken the fun out of school shopping. "sorry, you can't have that purple folder because red, orange, yellow, green, and blue are the only permissible colors."

    i'm looking forward to day-before-first-day blessings! *i* will need one because i'm so nervous. my girls have never been to preschool or daycare and have never been away from me unless they were with close friends or family. my second daughter will do really well with big sister gone for a while each day, though. she's always stuck in the shadow and really blossoms when she's given the chance to be alpha female.

    i do NOT look forward to the schedule changes. i feel restricted already! and i have NO idea what time i'll need to get up to get all of us (i have three kids and one on the way) up and out on time. i'm also terible about going to bed "on time."

    uh. i think this is long enough...
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/06/2008 08:25:00 AM  



  • No back to school traditions here.

    If I were you, I would hold off on any supplies. I know at our school, they don't require the kids to bring anything. A backpack and lunchbox are about it. At back to school night, our teacher had a few post it notes of supplies families could donate to the classroom. Access to crayons, pencils and scissors at home are probably all he will really need.

    Since we are back to school and the rest of the neighbor kids are not, getting back on schedule has been really hard. But we are working on it.

    Love the lunchbox. I think you'll love it too. And I can't wait to see the wardrobe! BTW, I don't mind being stalked by my girlfriends.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/06/2008 03:06:00 PM  



  • This comment has been removed by the author.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/06/2008 07:22:00 PM  



  • you HAD to remind me about boden......crap my cc bill!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/06/2008 07:22:00 PM  



  • I agree with Kage. Love the links by the way.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 8/07/2008 04:56:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home