17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, August 18, 2008

FASHION FAST...not food....FASHION!

This time of year I am like cuckoo for retail shopping. Maybe I was raised to be this way. My mom brought us kids to the Nordstrom half yearly sale every summer to get ready for school.

I can push off the whole shopping thing for most of the 12 months of the year, but for some reason, right about now is the worst time. I see all the fall clothes, school-shopping ads, fresh color palettes, and I get a little excited about shopping.

Our own fashion maven here has spent some significant time refashioning in place of shopping. I think Chloe might have taken a break from shopping too.. Girls? am I right? You are both RE-fashionistas correct?

I don't think I could do this...no, I could not. Well, if my husband or I had a loss of income, for sure we would make everything work,. We have had our fair share of very little disposable income, and it was all good. However, if things stay the way they are, I would have a hard time giving up my little shopping habits that come round here and there.

Given the state of our economy, I have considered trying to cut back my shopping needs (read wants), and placing that extra money into some safety account. I am further inspired by a friend who has begun a full-on, year-long FASHION FAST.

That's right. She is not shopping for any new fashion items for 1 year. Could you do that? Could you do it for a month? 2? 6? 12?

Not only is she fasting, but she is donating the money she would have spent on that designer purse, those designer shoes, that fabulous brooch, to a charity.

She has put the vote out today, to see which charity is worthy of receiving the donations from her pocket, as well as bloggers who will donate as well. I just saved $70- from buying my new winter coat during the Nordstrom half-yearly sale (there it is again), so I am considering donating that amount to the charity that wins the vote.

5 Comments:

  • That sounds like a really neat idea and a great way to give back. I'm horrible at this time of year too- but for me it's buying my kids clothes that is my biggest weakness. There are so many cute fall styles this year for back to school that are hard to resist. The best solution for me is to stay out of the stores! :)
    posted by Blogger LJ at 8/18/2008 01:08:00 PM  



  • Nah, I'm not "officially" refashioning right now. Still throwing money around at shops all around town...:)
    posted by Blogger Sara at 8/18/2008 02:31:00 PM  



  • there are two things that are keeping me from shopping right now:
    1. i am just 4 weeks postpartum from my 3rd baby and i don't want to buy anything new for my body until i drop a few more lbs
    2. my daughter is starting kindergarten but goes to a UNIFORM school-- back to school shopping is no fun!
    posted by Blogger merathon at 8/18/2008 02:41:00 PM  



  • I too took a break from shopping thanks to the example of my friend the fashion maven... and it was suppose to last 6 months and I made it just over 3 and a half months. Anyone who knows me knows, that is pretty good. It was hard and I really don't know that I gained much from it, but it was nice to actually visit my closet and say oh ya, there is that and that...

    I will try it again soon...
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 8/18/2008 05:19:00 PM  



  • yes, I would consider myself a refashionista. I took the pledge for almost a year a while back (with a few little slip-ups). Then just recently, I pledged again for 2 months and I am ready to extend.

    When I got payed to shop with huge budgets, I picked up bad shopping habits. The line between needs and wants faded. Taking the pledge has allowed me to clear up those terms again and not feel so controlled by advertising and the feeling that I must have the newest thing all the time. It's been very freeing. It's also made me be more creative and look at things in new ways. When something gets a stain, I don't get rid of it (because I can't replace it with something new) so I add an applique or dye it or cut it up and make something different.

    I will be interested to see how your friend does with her fashion fast. At times it will be hard, but in the end, I think she will love what she gains from doing it - and all that money for charity - so awesome.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/18/2008 08:30:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home