17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, September 22, 2008

Seriously so blessed......(that's like a take off of that one girl's blog of the same title...get it?)

Yoo-hoo? Anyone out there? I am still here, but I have been a bit swamped. I wanted to post on a few items before the blog runs out of steam.

I am on month 3 of being the wife of a Bishop. Yup, my DH is now the Bishop. This is weird for a bunch of reasons. All of which (for once) I will keep to myself.

We don't talk about it much. I know very little about what he is up to. In fact, I will tell him something I hear about at church and he knowingly smiles and nods and tells me how far behind I am in any sort of news...which I assure you is not very much news, just a tidbit here and there.

A few changes I have noticed:

1. I sit in the way back of church now in a little corner. This is me hiding. My kids are not the best in church, and I am totally exhausted by Sunday morning that I have little discipline juice left. I don't need looks or comments about this. I feel like we have a pretty awesome ward, I do not feel judged in the slightest, but let's face it...it's like the Bishop's family....we should just hide.

2. I have had a boost of stamina. This is a blessing for me. I know it is because my role in all this is to serve my DH so that he can serve the people. I never knew about this part of the whole bishop's wife role. I guess I have never had reason to think about it. Since I bumped my head 6 months ago, DH has pulled a significant weight in household and parenting duties, even more than he has since our parenthood began, and I have since been able to pull my own weight again....

3. With the exception of Sundays. We have 9 AM church. I make it home and I stay awake for as long as I can, but I am usually like OUT OUT at around 1:30 and often still asleep or groggy when DH finally makes it home between 3 and 4. This is a problem. I have only been able to stay awake one Sunday, and that was when we had several new couples that moved in, over for some dinner (I felt that was a bishop-wifey thing to do). I had to cook and stuff. This is one area where I am not doing my best to serve the Bishop so that he can serve others, but I have such a difficult time not falling asleep. I think I finally figured it out. It's because I am sitting for 3 straight hours, and this is so not my life M-Sat. And then if I come home and sit some more, I'm a goner.

4. I find myself getting a little nit-picky. You should tell your counselors to speak into the microphone at all times. When they acknowledge the chorister and pianist, they shouldn't turn their heads to look at them, because then we can't hear them. The tempo of the hymns is way too slow. Are you sure all the fleas were exterminated? How about the mice? Why isn't the cake auction starting on time?

Because of this, my DH has learned to be even more patient than he was before. And pre-Bish, he might have complained right along with me, but no longer. He is setting a good example for me. He's growing, and I am reluctantly trying to sprout a little too.

So, that's what it's like so far. I have a feeling there is a long journey ahead of us. Don't worry, I stocked his Bishop's office with a mini-fridge full of Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi and 90 calorie Special K cereal bars. He's all set.

And my second little thing is this....

My daughter will turn 8 in about 18 months. I know that is forever away, but we recently attended a baptism of her friend and it made me start to think about my daughter's baptism day. My main thought was: I want her to KNOW what she is doing. And so, today, we began reading the Book of Mormon. A page a day. She seems excited about it. In fact, she even read a few extra verses past page 1. I am hoping we can stick to our plan, and I am hoping that I will feel like as a Mom, I prepared her for this big decision, that she seems in some ways entirely too little to make...



4 Comments:

  • You go, girl. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9/22/2008 07:49:00 PM  



  • I just attended the baptism of the daughter of one of my former Young Women. It was such a spiritual experience, particularly since this young girl was born two months early and almost didn't survive. One of her former Primary teachers gave a wonderful talk about the Holy Ghost. All of the children could really relate to her talk. It's not too early to start the process. Eighteen months will go by so quickly. It's heard to believe that time is approaching. When I first met you, you were pregnant with her. Best of all, she has great parents as role models for her.
    posted by Blogger hdknowles at 9/23/2008 08:04:00 AM  



  • Wow - I can't believe she will be 8 so soon! Yikes. I think a post on preparing for baptism would be awesome. Like what other parents did, etc.

    I bet you are an awesome bishop's wife. I can't even imagine the sacrifices you will make, and the ways in which your family will grow during this time.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 9/23/2008 08:33:00 AM  



  • Kage- I'm a little behind on reading Tales after being out of town, but I really enjoyed this post! I love your hilarious and very real viewpoint about being the wife of a bishop. You've been through a lot of tough times this year and I am constantly amazed by your ability to not get discouraged and maintain optimism, hope, and humor through everything. I think you have an amazing life out there in NYC and it's so much fun to read about it. Also, that's so exciting about your daughter turning eight soon! My oldest son just turned eight and we had his baptism this summer. It was an amazing, humbling, very happy experience for our family. There is nothing like seeing your child dressed in white looking like an angel on their baptism day. Best of luck preparing for it!
    posted by Blogger LJ at 10/08/2008 04:30:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home