17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Welcome to the World Baby Brother

Baby brother is now three weeks old and I know everyone out there in blog land is just dying to know if any of my labor inducing techniques actually put me into labor. Well, at one week overdue, I had another appointment with my midwife. She was nice enough to offer me a good "stripping". Since this little procedure put me into labor within 24 hours with my first two I quickly accepted her offer and left the office hoping for great things.

I followed up the slightly unpleasant "strip" with a fab salon makeover courtesy of my very talented friend. Not only did I receive a great new do, but also a conditioning treatment and a fresh face full of makeup. I kind of wanted to head to the hospital right then because I would have looked smashing in the photos. But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Then, at three in the morning strong contractions woke me up. We decided to get the kids settled in at the neighbors and head to the hospital. I was a little disappointed when the midwife on call was not one I had met. She then proceeded to make me cry within 3 minutes of meeting her (so much for my theory that all midwives are awesome). But I quickly forgave her when, 7 hours later, she coached me (a 5'3" woman) through the delivery of a 8 lb 15 oz kid without a rip, tear, or cut.

This latest delivery also helped me realize that I am definitely an epidural girl. Yes, I ended up having what I like to call "a little piece of heaven in a needle up the spine" with my first two, but I held out hope that I could manage a non-medicated birth with number three. As I sat in the rocking chair listening to the Relaxation Rainbow on my Ipod trying so hard to stay in my Zen place, my mind kept wandering (which is not a good sign in hypnobirthing) to the chaotic and agonizing moments in my past two births before I finally made my frantic request for the wonder drug.

This time around, I decided to calmly tell my nurse I was ready for an epidural before I found myself in the same "bad place" all the while trying not to feel too disappointed in myself for giving in so easily. But, I then proceeded to have my most calm and enjoyable birth experience to date (which included a hilarious "text" exchange with my BFF) and knew I made the right decision.

And what can I say about baby brother except you were all right--boys aren't that scary after all. He's been good to his momma - sleeping good, eating like a champ and hasn't peed one me once.

10 Comments:

  • Good for you! I'm glad you don't feel the need to apologize for doing what you felt was best for YOUR labor and delivery. Nobody should have to apologize for wanting or needing an epidural. Ever.

    I'm glad he's doing good. Boys are fab, and he'll have you wrapped around his little finger for eternity. :)
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 5/06/2008 04:51:00 PM  



  • Kimchee, I am so glad that you are being good to your momma, she deserves it after those wailer sister's of yours......

    I love my brother, so I know it's going to turn out so well.....
    posted by Blogger Kage at 5/06/2008 05:07:00 PM  



  • I want to see the new hair do!

    It's so good that you know your limits well enough and don't allow yourself to get to that "bad place" (even though over a week past due probably put you there). Think of what a lame nickname little brother would have if you didn't send that text;)
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 5/06/2008 05:47:00 PM  



  • You are SO the woman...

    And I'm with Kage - after those two adorable screamers I'm so glad that you got a mellow fellow.

    Can't wait to meet him :)
    posted by Blogger Sara at 5/06/2008 07:23:00 PM  



  • Thanks for the story! I can't wait to meet him too. And I totally agree with Cheryl. I'm glad you feel at peace and satisfied with your birthing experience. You are a champ. I'm glad the first month has gone so well. Congrats!
    posted by Blogger Beth at 5/06/2008 09:32:00 PM  



  • Dang! I need an epidural just THINKING about possible labor pains!
    posted by Blogger Kathi D at 5/07/2008 01:24:00 AM  



  • BTW I improperly e-mailed your husband one day to leave the office immediately and have sex with his wife. (Just trying to help with the delivery.)
    posted by Blogger Kathi D at 5/07/2008 01:26:00 AM  



  • Congrats Carrie! A beautiful baby boy after two beautiful girls! You are so blessed. ENJOY.
    posted by Blogger rebecca at 5/07/2008 10:45:00 AM  



  • I love, love, love epidurals. They are sent from heaven. (I.V. drugs, on the other hand, I can do without).

    Congratulations on becoming a mama again! Every woman should be so lucky to have such a great birth.
    posted by Blogger the Rew Crew at 5/07/2008 12:28:00 PM  



  • Congratulations! I'm glad you only went a week over and didn't have to resort to castor oil - By day 12 I had to do it but happy it worked.
    posted by Blogger Mommymita at 5/07/2008 08:05:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home