17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Green Baby Shower

My turn for an Earth Day Post.

I wouldn't say I am a super-duper Tree Hugger, because after all, I am not a huge fan of nature in THAT way...but I am concerned about our Mother Earth and I try to do my part to save the earth.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to do a reading of a new musical with some actors. One actor in particular stood out initially because she is budding with child, but also because she is an environmental activist. Yes, she appeared to have some organic clothing, the sigg water bottle and an array of reusable bags, but her activism is on a level that I frankly, never imagined. She and her husband and their friend are currently conducting Your Environmental Road Trip.

For 52 weeks they are traveling to all 50 states to spread awareness about the environment. You can see their first video about the commencement of their adventure here.

As part of their NYC stop, Julie had a Clean Baby Shower. She posted about it on the YERT blog as well.

I spoke to her about it and she expressed that all attending were asked to bring only reusable packaging, natural and second hand items. No plastic please. She received mix cds, a toychest made out of wood that was being discarded in the name of home renovations, personal books from a friend's childhood, and even a live performance. After I heard about this, I joined in the fun and took one of our blankies that my now 3-year-old no longer uses, and wrapped it around some board books that were also not being picked up much anymore, and gave it to her. She was the PERFECT recipient for loved hand-me-downs.

I pointed her in the direction of our own Tftcarrie's flickr album as inspiration for her plight, after I heard she was making onesies for her baby out of her husband's well-used underwear that had lost it's elastic. Maybe next time she can make a bonnet out of a hankie or a skirt out of some neckties.

There are a lot of fun videos on the Yert Website. A few that I enjoyed:

Fastest Shower Techniques

National Parking Day in SLC

Earth Day in NYC

Happy Earth Day (Week)!




4 Comments:

  • But in the video with the shower demonstrtion, did you catch that endorsement for the City Museum in St. Louis? Totally deserved!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/23/2008 08:10:00 AM  



  • My favorite part of the green baby shower is that it pushes you to think creatively. I for one, like that kind of thing, but I bet not all guests to a baby shower would enjoy the process quite as much.

    Thanks for sharing the videos!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/23/2008 05:21:00 PM  



  • diaper cakes make a stunning baby shower centerpiece, and the expecting parents will appreciate this thoughtful gift.
    posted by Blogger Unknown at 11/18/2008 02:24:00 PM  



  • Grreat read thankyou
    posted by Anonymous Rosemary at 6/10/2022 05:46:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home