17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Things I learned in India

My husband and I recently spent 3 weeks traveling in India, sans child. I expected the unexpected, but here are a few things that surprised me on my trip:
1. I gained 5 pounds from all the good food.
2. There was toilet paper in (almost) every bathroom I went in.
3. I cried like a baby when leaving my baby behind.

I expected to miss him after a week or so - the longest I'd ever been away was five days. But I didn't expect to have such a hard time leaving. Here's what I wrote in my journal while we were at the airport:
"I was surprised at my reaction to leaving Max - I didn't expect it to hit me as hard as it did. I've been away from him before, and the reality is that we will be in contact and could come home quickly if needed. But I just don't want something to happen to him and me not be there. I'm always there whenever he needs me. It was one of the first times I had the full knowledge of the power of staying at home with him, what that means - being there with him through everything. It's an awesome experience, and I'm so lucky that I'm able to do it. Not that I feel that way every day!"

I didn't expect the act of leaving my child for three weeks to so completely confirm for me that being a stay-at-home mom is the right thing for me. And I especially didn't expect it to be confirmed in the first hour of my trip! But that's what happened. NOW, I'm clinging on to that knowledge with all my might as we go through "readjustment", which has included some of the worst behavior I've seen in a year. Sigh.

12 Comments:

  • It's so nice to have reminders like this once in a while to validate our life choices. I wish I could have a reminder that included me traveling through India for 3 weeks!!!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 12/04/2007 03:02:00 PM  



  • Sounds like an amazing adventure! I'm sure it was probably harder on you than your son being away that long. :)

    Any pics of India to share? I've heard it is a beautiful country.
    posted by Blogger LJ at 12/04/2007 04:37:00 PM  



  • India is a magic country - but come with open heart and leave behind brains.

    It takes little time to adjust and understand with the vibe....and once you are with the rythem....you will come again and again...as you can not see whole or part of it in short time...it can take ages !!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 12/04/2007 06:06:00 PM  



  • I really love this post. SAHMs need to feel that kind of validation every so often b/c oftentimes (atleast for me) we have moments of doubt or insecurity. Experiences like this help strengthen my choice to stay at home as well. Thanks for that!

    And you have to do at least one other post on your experiences in India. So fascinating!
    posted by Blogger Beth at 12/04/2007 07:56:00 PM  



  • wow, I look forward to that first big trip for me and I would feel just as amazed to have those feelings so early in the trip.
    posted by Blogger liz at 12/04/2007 11:28:00 PM  



  • Yeah Marian, you need to put up at least one photo from the trip to accompany this post.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 12/05/2007 08:08:00 AM  



  • I can certainly come up with some pictures and stories to share from India, I'll try to put together a little travel journal post in the next week or so.

    tftcarrie, beth, liz, that's why I wanted to share the story - validation is rare, doubt is frequent. It was great to feel so DEFINITE about it for once. I'm trying to hold on to that...
    posted by Blogger marian at 12/05/2007 08:23:00 AM  



  • There, one photo up now!
    posted by Blogger marian at 12/05/2007 08:27:00 AM  



  • Oh, I love that photo. Can't wait to hear a few more travel stories.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 12/05/2007 08:30:00 AM  



  • I also want to hear more about your trip!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 12/06/2007 06:21:00 PM  



  • I'd like to hear more about India, as well--my dh's job may be taking us to Bangalore (in S. India) for a year. I hope it really happens!
    posted by Blogger ldahospud at 12/06/2007 11:31:00 PM  



  • LOVE the photo...my internet has been down so I STILL haven't seen them all...only a few at the beginning of album 1~
    posted by Blogger Kage at 12/07/2007 06:11:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home