17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Load up your Ipods...

Now that Thanksgiving is over, you are officially allowed to listen to Christmas music! Hooray!

Last year I wrote a post all about my favorite Christmas tunes, so this year's list will be an adendum to that post.

This year I want to begin with buying a cd for a cause:
I just saw a Brodway show last week (one that wasn't closed) and learned about a CD that I never knew about! Every year Broadway stars record a Christmas album for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. There are 8 out there, so make sure you check out which artists are featured. If you thought Thoroughly Modern Millie was the best thing since sliced bread, make sure you get the cd featuring Sutton Foster.

For a complete list, click here.

Every year I see these VERY SPECIAL Christmas CDs, and they stand out to me because I like Keith Haring's artwork. I looked them up just now, and learned that buying one helps the Special Olympics, also a worthy cause. For a full listing of cds available, click here. On A Very Special Christmas LIVE, you can hear two of my fave artists, Mary J and Sheryl Crow rocking around the Chrismas tree.

I know it's late coming, but there are some enjoyable tracks on the first of two Rosis O'Donnell Christmas CDS. All proceeds benefit FOR ALL KIDS FOUNDATION.

Going Green? Check out Barenaked Ladies' Green Christmas (it has little, if nothing to do with being eco-friendly, but the title works)!

Albums or tracks of these albums to check out:
Blind Boys of Alabama: Go Tell it on the Mountain

Bette Midler: Cool Yule (for the headwear alone). Tracks to check out: 2, 4, 7 and 9. My opp is that Bette does upbeat best.

Josh Groban: Noel (for you Josh fans)

I am also considering purchasing the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular, since that is where my family will be on Christmas Eve! Just one of the many surprises I have up my sleeve this Holiday season.

Sick of the Messiah? Well, you shouldn't be, but if you are hungering for a different instrumental album, try the Nutcracker or Vince Guaraldi Trio Christmas tunes (found in those crazy Peanuts Gang cartoons).

Gospel Choir:
I am on the hunt for the best Gospel songs. So far I have found:
Christmas Negro Spirituals by New Orleans St. Peter's Gospel Choir...listening makes me feel like I am on the front row....I like it. Go Tell It on the Mountain and Joy to the World. So far, I am only finding it on itunes.

I also love the Georgia Mass Choir singing Joy to the World with Whitney Houston on her ONE WISH album.

Anyone else found some gems?



11 Comments:

  • I love that Kristy Glass CD. It is a real gem.
    posted by Blogger Lisa and Doug at 11/29/2007 05:58:00 AM  



  • I love so many of the ones already mentioned! Here are a few of my favorites; forgive me if any have been mentioned previously -- I just briefly skimmed last year's post.


    The John Rutter Christmas Album

    Diana Krall

    Motown Legends -- A Christmas Gift...gotta love Stevie and J5!

    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy -- Everything You Want for Christmas

    Squirrel Nut Zippers -- Christmas Caravan...be forewarned that "Indian Giver" is not the most PC song...:)

    Michael Dowdle -- 25 Beloved Hymns of Christmas
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/29/2007 07:08:00 AM  



  • The original Carpenters' Christmas

    The original Osmonds Christmas

    Anything with Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, or Andy Williams.

    My favorite new find is:
    MOTAB's new Christmas CD with Sissel. That woman has the most brilliant voice I've ever heard!!
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 11/29/2007 08:44:00 AM  



  • lisa, oh mom!

    danielle n., good job, no repeats!

    cheryl, I would be interested in hearing the new MoTAB, though I like the old one...it's not the cleanest recording (bad cutoffs).
    posted by Blogger Kage at 11/29/2007 08:54:00 AM  



  • I gotta second that Blind Boys of Alabama Christmas album. The Go Tell it on the Mountain track is my favorite with soloist, Tom Waits.

    I'm also a sucker for anything Louis Armstrong. I highly recommend:

    Louis Armstrong & Friends: What a wonderful Christmas.

    There's also a remaster of the CD under the title:

    Louis Armstrong & Friends: The Christmas Collection.
    posted by Blogger tamrobot at 11/29/2007 09:45:00 AM  



  • I love so many songs! I want to hear the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy one and the Squirrel Nut Zippers one!

    I am totally bad at getting the "newest" groups songs, but these are some of our favorites:

    George Winston "December" Very quiet and pretty

    Jimmy Buffet- "Christmas Island"

    All the old classics like Nat Cole, Frank, Bing, etc..

    Some of our absolute favorite christmas cds are from stores. Nordstrom, Bombay Company, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, etc.. these stores every year come out with great compilations that we just LOVE, and don't have to collect song-by-song.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 11/29/2007 06:30:00 PM  



  • I just realized I forgot to mention the Beach Boys Christmas Album is super fun too!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 11/29/2007 07:04:00 PM  



  • kage-
    It's called "Spirit of the Season" and it's pretty good. To be honest, some of the rhythm on a few of the songs sung by just the choir are off and it's a little strange. But Sissel is freaking brilliant. Do you know her? I felt like an idiot for only discovering her last year; I guess she's been world famous for 20 years now.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 11/29/2007 09:24:00 PM  



  • Thanks for all the updates. I love all my Very Special Christmas Albums. Mostly because I rarely like to listen to the same artist for more than 2 songs in a row. That is also why I love store compilations (like Rachel H mentioned) as well. Otherwise, we do a big Itunes shuffle of all our Christmas tunes.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 11/30/2007 03:10:00 PM  



  • Oh, and I like that Kristy Glass album too. First Christmas songs I listened to this Christmas season
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 11/30/2007 03:13:00 PM  



  • The itunes store has been offering free Christmas music the last few Decembers, and this week it includes a very nice (great for background music) Mannheim Steamroller version of "it came upon the midnight clear."

    Plus they have the Vince Guraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album on sale for 7.99.

    Also, Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified released a Christmas album last year that has an amazing mix.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 12/01/2007 05:22:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home