17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, November 26, 2007

I will not be eating Turkey for a VERY long time...

When Pukey puked on Thanksgiving Day, almost midsentence ("Mom, I had too many sweets today, 3 brownies and a cinnamon roll and two hot chocolates...), I figured it was because of the list she was spouting out.

However...

when Poopy puked at 3 AM later that night (her first time ever I might add), I thought something might be up.

In the morning they both seemed fine. I chalked Poopy's pukey up to eating cranberry sauce STRAIGHT out of the dish...like a lot of it.

My suspicions were confirmed when Pukey puked her lunch almost instantaneously after eating it. I knew that my DH and I were possibly in for it, not to mention the 5 house guests we were hosting for Thanksgiving.

Late that night I got a little tickle in my stomach but proclaimed it psycho-somatic and went to bed. At 4 AM it hit. I was wretching but not quite puking, but when my DH started puking that's all I needed. I was alternating covering my ears and listening, b/c though disgusting, hearing him actually helped me get it all up, which was what I needed to feel better and get back to sleep.

By morning we were still making runs to the bathroom and our children were looking at us with much concern in their faces. It was time to phone a friend.

I phoned my friend who HAPPENS to be the compassionate service leader AND my visiting teacher AND lives minutes away by walking. My words were these: "I am in need of some compassionate service." As I lay in the fetal position on the bathroom floor, she came in and saved the day. She dressed the children, put the sheets in the washer (the guests had left earlier that morning with my DH threatening to puke the entire ride-I would have sent them in a cab!), straightened up the family room and took the children.

I emerged from the bathroom in the early afternoon, put the sheets in the dryer and went to bed. I was awakened by a text saying my kids would be home at 6, just in time to start getting ready for bed. At 5:30 I rallied...b/c I thought the kids might be even MORE concerned if I was still paralyzed in my bed. I decided to tackle the beds, but they were done. I asked my DH if he had done it...nope. My friend had come back to finish the job, while her vt companion made christmas cookies with my kids and put up her tree.

Both of them arrived with my kids and put them in their jammies and made plans to pick them up for church the next day.

If I had been in my healthy right mind I would have cried for their compassion and service and love. It is not easy for me to ask for help, but we were in dire straights this past week, and our loved ones came to the rescue. (Another friend also helped us with a delivery we needed to make...thanks to you friend!).

Anyway, at the conclusion of this Thanksgiving Week, I give thanks to my dear friends, and for Christ's example that allows us to help each other when help is needed. I am grateful for service, visiting teaching, friends, and ONLY 24 hours of puking...Happy Thanksgiving!

4 Comments:

  • You sure do have the best puking stories.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/26/2007 02:49:00 PM  



  • You know what they say - the family that pukes together...

    What would we do without our dear friends?

    Wish that I'd been there to help...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 11/26/2007 04:16:00 PM  



  • Thank goodness for friends, VT'ers, and compassionate service leaders (and the people that are all three)! We had what you had the weekend before--and it totally sucked. I don't know why it is my mom instinct to hold my hands out to catch the puke instead of letting it just land on the floor. So disgusting.

    Hope you're feeling better.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 11/26/2007 04:55:00 PM  



  • Ewwww. Glad you're feeling better. Glad the ladies were so helpful! Wow.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 11/29/2007 08:35:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home