17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, November 30, 2007

24 Days of Christmas Books

For those of you don't remember my post last year about my favorite new Christmas Tradition. Go read it now so you know what I am talking about and return.

If you have gathered together 24 books this year, tomorrow is the day to begin. I can't believe it's December already!

Now for a couple variations on the tradition:

-You could do the 12 days of Christmas books (instead of 24). I think we are actually doing the 17 days of Christmas books because that is how many we have collected over the past 3 years.

-If you are trying to use less wrapping paper this year, you could use one reusable gift bag that gets magically filled with a new book each day. I think we will be doing it this way because not only is it green, it is also a great way to have control over which books get read on each day - saving the longer ones for days when you know there is more time to read.

I also wanted to share our new book additions for this year because it's not to late to pick some up from the library or the bookstore.

One Winter's Night by Leo and Diane Dillon. We love animals in our house, so this one is sure to be a hit as the story parallels the Journey of Martha's and the birth of her calf with the journey of Joseph and Mary and the birth of baby Jesus. Good for the toddler set.

The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola - The little girl in the book is unable to finish the gift her mother was making for the baby Jesus. All she can find to give is an armful of weeds. This book is a retelling of a beautiful folktale of how the first poinsettia's came to be.

Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect by Richard H Schneider - This book came highly recommended and did not disappoint. It is the story of a little tree who gives of himself freely and reminds everyone about the true meaning of Christmas.

Jingle Bells by Iza Trapani - I picked this one up at Princesses School Book Fair. It is a simple book that uses the Jingle Bell song with added verses that simply talk about how children from other countries celebrate the Christmas season. Good for the toddler set.

And finally, today I went to my favorite neighborhood used book store and found a couple more at rock bottom prices.

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
by Susan Wojciechowski - I haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but I have heard many great recommendations. It is longer story better suited for older children.

Carl's Christmas by Alexandra Day - We have always been Carl book lovers. This one is a beautiful picture book like all the rest. You can use your own words to tell the story of Carl's adventures as he spreads the true Christmas spirit. Or you could tell the story like this dad so you will never have to read to your children again. Great for the baby and toddler set.

Please share your own favorite Children's Christmas stories or variations on this fun tradition.

10 Comments:

  • I just wrapped up a bunch of our Christmas books yesterday so we can start tomorrow.

    We are big Tomie De Paola fans and love The Legend of the Poinsettia. He also has a great one that is based on a Mexican tradition of a live nativity procession that is called The Night of Las Posadas . Another of his is based on an Italian legend of the woman who didn't take the time to find the baby Jesus when he was born and now spends all her time giving gifts to babies in the hope that they are the Christ child:
    The Legend of Old Befana
    .

    We also love a beautiful pop-up book of the traditional story of the nativity with illustrations that are very Renaissance Italian looking. The Nativity

    I just ordered a couple of new ones from Amazon. One is called Great Joy and it's brand new. It's about a little girl who has a role in a Christmas pageant. As she rehearses, she can't stop thinking about a homeless man. When it comes, I'll let you know how we like it.
    posted by Blogger Michelle at 11/30/2007 06:04:00 PM  



  • I just finished five minutes ago wrapping our books for this year. I got the idea last year from your post and have been looking forward to doing it ever since. I collected a few over the year, but got a lot from our library. I was amazed by how many they had to choose from! Thanks for the idea - I'm really excited.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/30/2007 06:43:00 PM  



  • We started tonight because we are going out of town for the weekend. HOWEVER....I don't think we have 24 and I am ok with that, b/c then we can read them wildcard style the week leading up to christmas.

    Changes this year:
    Wrapped Sacred Christmas storie's in Bethleheme/Nativity themed paper and Secular Christmas story's in a Christmas print. I did this so that I could insist on a Jesus one at least on Monday nights for FHE..and so there was more of a mix (we have more secular than sacred I'm afraid).

    I also labeled one book as the Dec. 24th book b/c it has both the nativity story AND Twas the night before Christmas..it is or eve book, so I labeled it to save it for last.

    Added 1 book:
    Mortimer's Christmas Manger (it's so cute)

    Next year: want to make fabric coverings so that I am not wasting so much paper over the years! And because I got two NASTY paper cuts whilst wrapping this year. Dang.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 11/30/2007 07:23:00 PM  



  • Thanks Carrie and Michelle for the Tomie De Paola recommendations...I just looked them up online and I think I'm in love....hopefully my kids will be too!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 12/01/2007 01:34:00 PM  



  • i also got the idea from last year's great post. used paper wrapping last year, and this year i decided on making a fabric bag with velcro tabs at the top. i tie a ribbon around it each day, so it looks more like a present to unwrap.

    thanks for the new book suggestions!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 12/02/2007 09:05:00 AM  



  • Just wanted to say thanks for this fabulous idea. We started this tradition last year and LOVED it. We'll start again in a few days - we don't quite have 24 either. :)
    posted by Blogger rebecca at 12/02/2007 05:30:00 PM  



  • A tall, thin elf with a really amazing voice left us The Night of Las Posadas and The Legend of the Poinsettia during a weekend stay....and we LOVE them!!! Highly recommended, esp if your kids are learning Spanish in school or have any interest in other Christmas traditions.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 12/06/2007 06:26:00 PM  



  • jen! especially Los Pasados right?

    I have been searching for OLIVIA helps with Christmas and FINALLY saw it the other day. I LOVE Olivia, but this one really is a special treat if you are an Olivia fan. After we read it PUkey was all: I am so like happy and giggly right now (which frankly is nothing new)...

    but I said I was too, and it was seriously residual Olivia happiness.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 12/14/2007 09:35:00 AM  



  • I know this thread was dead a while back, but I wanted to let you all know that I went to Barnes and Noble just a few days ago and saw all the hardcover nice Christmas books were 50% off (plus 10% if you are a member)....so I picked up a few that I had been eyeing all season:

    The Last Straw by Thury (about a camel's difficult journey to the Christchild)

    Great Joy By Kate DiCamillo (a homeless man, a monkey and a little girl in a chrismas pageant) I think this is DiCamillo (Tale of Despereaux author)'s first picture book...it's beautiful

    And a few others I can't remember now...but go check it out!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/06/2008 07:16:00 PM  



  • I just linked here through another blog (http://thismamamakesstuff.blogspot.com/) because she does this with her kids. What a GREAT idea! I don't have any kids, but do you think my dog and cats would like it if I read to them :)
    posted by Blogger Danielle at 12/12/2009 10:41:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home