17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Emergency

My kids are going to visit Grammy and Papa for 10 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG DAYS. I am so excited. I am going to miss them. To make up for the slight feelings of guilt that are accompanying this send-off, I have been trying to be an ultra-good mommy this week.

This entailed taking my children to the playground A LOT. So much, in fact, that despite the wearing of my rather large-brimmed sun hat

and 30 SPF sunscreen, my freckles have started to pop out on my face, and there are flip-flop tan lines on the tops of my feet. Usually I don't have these sun symptoms until June (the month this photo was taken last year). THAT'S how great I have been. I hate the sun. I am even willing to compromise my preferral vision (by wearing this hat), to avoid it.

So yesterday was a LONG day of 2 different playgrounds and all of this good-mommy-junk. When I got home around 5, I needed to catch up on some work (ok, let's face it, it was all about the Contest that Never Ends). I told Pukey that I needed to remain uninterrupted for a few minutes. Of course, she can never follow this rule and after several attempts, and receiving several "TALK TO THE HAND"-type gestures, she gave up.

A few silent minutes past.

Amazing.

Then she came back in. I gestured. She sighed and left, and then this:

"Emergency?"

I do not respond

"Mom, Emergency!"

I do not respond.

"Mom, Poopy is sticking the scissors in her macaroni and cheese and then sticking the scissors in her mouth. Emergency."

I finally responded with this thought: "I meant to remove those scissors from her reach." I also thanked Poopy for always being informative when she signals EMERGENCY or ALERT (sister is on the windowsill about to fall through a screen, 3 stories to her death, sister is pooping in the tub, sister is using scissors as a fork!) What would I do without Pukey? Seriously. I will miss them. But probably not until day 5 1/2.

10 Comments:

  • oh come on, you'll miss them the first ummm... day... or night.. or sometime soon.... you just won't miss them enough to want them back 24/7 until day 5 1/2 :)

    I've only done 2 days at time so far... someday....

    Good good-mommy activies. I'll have to train my daughters in the "emergency" and "alert" use!
    posted by Blogger Lucy at 4/26/2007 08:06:00 PM  



  • I've been looking for a sun hat like yours, where did you find it? My mom has skin cancer from too many days out in the sun, (probably with me when I was young) and I am determined that I'll do better about covering up. Even if it means no summer tan.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/26/2007 08:24:00 PM  



  • Laughing my butt off over here. I've got to teach Simon "emergancy" - that would have saved Sophie from coloring her lips with blue marker earlier today. And no...it's not washing off...

    Have a great time over the next 10 days...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 4/26/2007 09:14:00 PM  



  • Hat: JCrew

    CHloe, Emergency was said very dryly in this instance, but really ALERT Is what gets me....b/c I have no idea where she even learned that word.

    ALERT ALERT Poopy pooped in the tub! (which by the way she did NOT a few days ago, b/c she TOLD ME she had to go---1st week of potty training is going well!)
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/27/2007 03:38:00 AM  



  • Are your parents willing to maybe take another three kids? They're really cute redheads???

    10 days alone... I'm positively drooling with envy.
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 4/27/2007 08:36:00 AM  



  • Seriously, it must have been one bad day of emergencies for the Tales girls yesterday! First dining with scissors, then marker lipstick (which at least can't cause serious bodily harm) and mine - sewing pins in the mouth. EMERGENCY!!! And I wasn't even in the other room blogging!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 4/27/2007 12:15:00 PM  



  • Did anyone notice I don't know how to spell periphreal?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/27/2007 03:45:00 PM  



  • Kage,

    That would be peripheral my friend.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 4/27/2007 09:28:00 PM  



  • See, I still can't get it right!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 4/28/2007 07:34:00 AM  



  • My kids use the baby moniter like a walkie-talkie. They'll say stuff like "Patch has a poopy diaper. I repeat, Patch has a poopy diaper. Over." Too funny.

    Enjoy your vacation. You've earned it.
    posted by Blogger jlk at 4/28/2007 01:39:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home