17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Participating in the Madness

March Madness is here! OK - admitedly there are varying levels of excitement over this basketball tournament. Your team didn't make it, basketball isn't your favorite sport, you're mad your TV shows are being cancelled for the next few weeks or bitter that your husband is watching lots and lots of basketball played by teams you have never even heard of. Solution: Fill out your own bracket!
There are several places online to find an empty bracket and fill it out! It's simple. It's fun. It gets you involved. You don't have to know a thing about the teams.
Here are my tips for filling out a NCAA tournament bracket:

1. Go with your gut - last year I wanted to write in one of the lowest seeded teams but didn't. They ended up going through the first two rounds and being the Cindarella team that year - would have been fun to have them on my list!

2. If there is any school you are attached to, pick them! Even if they are seeded low. If they win and you didn't pick them you will feel doubly disloyal.

3. Set up rivalry's - if you don't care who wins, and don't have any "gut" feelings - a rivalry will make things more fun. Look at what your husband, child, grandchild, friend, parent, etc chose and choose all the opposites. Nobody has EVER filled in a perfect bracket so you are bound to win at least a few!

There are always upsets, exciting plays, and fun stories that come out of this month of madness. Have fun!

12 Comments:

  • I am so EXCITED to fill out my bracket. Last year was fantastic, not only because I followed all the way through up to the final four, but also because I BEAT MY HUSBAND... I know that is totally not being Christlike, but you know what? I had a blast doing it. Good luck. It's going to be fantastic!
    posted by Blogger Layton Clan at 3/14/2007 09:36:00 AM  



  • My husband likes to fill out his bracket using logic and information pulled from the many articles he has read on ESPN leading up to the tournament. I, on the other hand, fill out my bracket based on which team has the more aesthetically pleasing uniform....it drives him crazy, but I actually don't do that bad and that is how it is fun for me!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/14/2007 09:56:00 AM  



  • Yeah, I decided that this year I'm going to make all my game decisions based on mascots - which mascot would beat the other. So if the Blue Jays are playing the Bulldogs, it's Bulldogs all the way. The real test comes when school mascots are inanimate object (the Hoyas?) or a color (like the Orangemen?)
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/14/2007 11:36:00 AM  



  • Maybe we should start a Tales bracket on ESPN???
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/14/2007 11:37:00 AM  



  • I like to pick based on area of the country or their name....Gonzaga anyone?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/14/2007 11:39:00 AM  



  • Yay - I love all these ideas.

    I am totally up for a tales bracket!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 3/14/2007 11:51:00 AM  



  • Okay, I created one on ESPN.com. The group is called "Tales Girls" and the password is "talesfromthecrib" JOIN US one and all! Even if you pick totally randomly (which I did last year) it can be rather surprising how into it you get.

    Kage, was it last year we competed against all those guys from the ward? If I remember correctly, you were #1 for a quite a while there, and I think we both finished pretty respectably?
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/14/2007 12:14:00 PM  



  • I'm in . . . I entered my picks. I am one of those who fills out the bracket in a matter of minutes while dh spends his time analyzing every detail before he makes his picks - and yeah, I usually do as good or better than he does. We'll see how this year goes. Go Memphis!!
    posted by Blogger m e l at 3/14/2007 07:57:00 PM  



  • I've made my picks. I went on pure instincts and when I couldn't decide, I referred back to team colors. And don't worry, my dh has already made fun of me for picking a low seeded team to make it to the sweet sixteen (because that like almost never happens apparently) and for choosing a high final game score (I started with numbers in the nineties but fell to the pressure and changed it to the eighties because "that only happens in the NBA" Duh.

    And although espn.com appears to be giving out monetary rewards for excellence in bracket choosing, I would like to make the pot a little more interesting. The winning bracket in the "Tales Girls" group will receive a little crafty something made by yours truly. Why you ask? Because nothing says "I love March Madness" like some applique, ric rac and ribbon! Don't you think?

    Be sure to finish your brackets by 12 noon EST Thursday to be eligible for all the fun!

    (P.S. you have to register on the espn site first and if you don't want your real name to show up on the bracket don't input it anywhere in the registration page - just use an alias). For me, it was easier to return to Marian's link here once I registered to reach the bracket page where you can search for "Tales Girls".
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/14/2007 10:36:00 PM  



  • Okay, I made my picks. This should make all of March a little more interesting!
    posted by Blogger Trivial Mom at 3/15/2007 08:13:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by the author.
    posted by Blogger Trivial Mom at 3/15/2007 08:13:00 AM  



  • Rats! I missed the deadline.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 3/16/2007 09:04:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home