17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Our first date

Dear Diary,

Saturday night Daniel and I went out on our first date...since we moved to Iowa. It was kind of a frustrating beginning because of the 18 inches of snow that we got. The weather interfered with our plans of a fireside in Omaha and being taken out to dinner beforehand. The other couple had to cancel because of work conflicts, also due to weather. So there we were--with a babysitter and nothing to do. And what on earth were we to do from 4-11pm in our little town!? (Couldn't drive to Omaha--or anywhere out of town--because of snow.) I racked my brain--there's just not much. Finally Tabby came to watch the kids and we decided to go to the local furniture store before dinner. This was actually brilliance on our part because window shopping and trying to come up with decor ideas with the kids has been horrible in the past. My patience goes and I just can't think fun or creative at all. Pure frustration. We reveled in the peace--we got there 30 minutes before closing and had the complete attention of the two employees until 30 minutes after closing. They were so nice and helpful. We now have several borrowed swatches of couch fabric we're playing around with at home. Couldn't a done it any other way!

Next we headed on to dinner. We decided on a mexican place. Not the one that sells overpriced frozen food, but the authentic one.

Oh! But first we decided to grab movie tickets--the little theatre is of course just across the street. It was empty and the show was to start in an hour. We gave them our money ($10.50 for two tickets) and they paused, waiting for us to go in. Ummm, no, we're going to dinner first. "Oh," the guy says, "We don't have actual tickets to hand out." Huh!? Ok...so they gave us our money and assured us we'd get in to our movie when we returned.

Back to dinner. Delicious. Someone from Daniel's work was our server. Another guy from work (and his family) was eating across from our booth. We really do run into everyone here. And it's not like we know a whole lot of people yet.

We got done just in time to run across the street and get our virtual tickets. 5 minutes until showtime. But--big ol' line. I decided it was worth it to at least ask if we could skip the line since we were there an hour before trying to avoid this whole last minute thing. So, I "excuse me-pardon-me" my way up to the front, getting the evil eye all the way up. I asked the favor of the ticket guy and he said sure. I got the tickets and was on my way back outside to get Daniel. Then I got it. "Line cutter!" "We've been in line all night!" "Get back there!" "Cutter!" O my gosh. Are we in 5th grade? I was surprised, insulted, and upset. I tried to handle the hackling well and said things politely like, "I'm sorry, we were here an hour ago..." "I'm sorry you don't understand the situation." They just continued to bark at me as I passed them. All women. I was getting mad. I remarked to myself, quietly but aloud, as I walked, that I lived in NYC two and half years and was never treated like this. I thought people here were nice. I'm getting all worked up thinking about it. Luckily I had a movie to take my mind off it. I don't know if I really was in the wrong--if I was it was my ignorance of their "we really don't give out tickets" situation. But since he agreed to let us in, I figured I wasn't being as awful as they were treating me.

About 10 minutes into the show--and our theatre was pretty empty (everyone else was in line to see "wild hogs")--a couple comes in and sits right behind us. We turn around and it's Daniel's boss and his wife! Luckily, they are very fun social people. It was hilarious. So small town.

The movie was ok. Had a couple funny parts, but was so sexual in nature it was kind of annoying. As Mom and Daughter are discussing and describing, orgasm I just couldn't help but think about ol' boss behind us. So funny. Although we wouldn't give the show 5 stars, it was definitely fun to be out with my hubby!

As we get up we're chatting with the boss man. And he says, "Well, I know you guys don't drink, but can we take you out for a soda or something?" Sure--why not! Let's make this a cultural experience. I said to him, half joking, that we could go to Wild Willie's and we would get something not so wild. "No, that crowd's a little rough," he says. But we did end up going to a bar--first time in my life. The West Side. It was a really nice place, actually. If I could have removed the smoke it'd have been darn near perfect. I could see the popularity of bars (the not-rough kind)--relaxed atmosphere, just order a little something, but you're really there to socialize. And socialize we did. Daniel's boss knew everyone and everyone knew him. The city council guy, the bar owner, and lots of friends there. It's like these people have a high school reunion every weekend. So, we were busy chatting together as well as meeting other people.

We had a fun time--always enjoying the little details that make this place unique.

Well, that's basically it. Came home--paid the babysitter, smashed a huge black spider, showered the smoke smell away, and promised to get another date in real soon.

16 Comments:

  • wow, you girls are impressive....21 comments about a stupid cello and not one response about a girls first date in a new place.....I'm sure she feels loved!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3/12/2007 09:54:00 PM  



  • Ouch. Sorry if you felt ignored Katie.

    I had a similar experience when I moved back to VT, but it was with my sister, not my hubby. I was laughing at myself the whole time we wandered the meager entertainment options, since just about anything sounded more interesting than cancelling my (hard-sought for) babysitter for the evening!

    I'm surprised at the reaction of the line at the movie theater - i think your assesment of them being in "5th grade" is hysterical though!
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/13/2007 05:07:00 AM  



  • I think it's cool that you will soon know all of your neighbors...and pretty much everyone in the town. Maybe it will feel a little incestuous at times, but I love going back to my old neighborhood and knowing I'll run into random people.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 3/13/2007 05:44:00 AM  



  • the theater didn't have tickets...so funny. I mean, pretty much the rest of the country has them online or available at kiosks inside. couldn't they have stamped your hand or something. hehe glad you got in. at least they had true new releases and they weren't showing Pirates 2 or something. Sounds like you live ina very charming town. The price of seeing a movie? That is one thing I don't miss about NYC.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 3/13/2007 07:54:00 AM  



  • Yeah, we don't have tickets here either, only on Friday and Saturday nights if there is a big movie that might sell out. So funny.
    posted by Blogger marian at 3/13/2007 09:06:00 AM  



  • kage's post about the cello (i think the thread came to the conclusion that it is not stupid) seemed to ask for advice while this thread doesn't, hence less comments here. no need for katie to not feel loved. just my take on it.
    posted by Blogger brenbot at 3/13/2007 09:25:00 AM  



  • I think that's a great date. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do or where you are, as long as you & DH are getting some alone time away from kids. Plus, it sounds like this was an evening you could laugh about later. I love that everywhere you went you knew someone from D's work. Awesome. And you probably didn't have to pay your babysitter an arm & a leg out there either.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 3/13/2007 09:27:00 AM  



  • I wouldn't try the line cutting again--these are your neighbors, nurses, and check-out clerks you are butting ahead of--no need to get yourself a bad reputation.

    The thing about living in a small town is you lose your anonymoty (can't figure out how to spell that). I forst noticed it at the library where people started commenting on my eclectic check-outs (that's what libraries are for, right)--they remembered what else I had read. So for good or bad, people know you and will idenify your behavior with you. No more cutting, OK?
    posted by Blogger ESOdhiambo at 3/13/2007 02:23:00 PM  



  • And I thought it was weird that here they just print out a paper ticket. In California, we had REAL tickets - you know, the kind you can stick in a scrapbook and the ink doesn't magically disappear.
    posted by Blogger Erin Marie at 3/13/2007 11:26:00 PM  



  • That really is a small town. I guess that's why it's good to go to the "big city" every once in a while. But like you said, there are still tons of perks to the small-town life. I wouldn't feel bad about cutting. I mean, the guy at the ticket booth thought it was ok to at least some degree or else he would've made you go to the end of the line, right? And $10 for the two of you to go to a movie...don't ya just love the midwest?!
    posted by Blogger Heidi at 3/14/2007 08:21:00 AM  



  • Sorry Katie to not respond sooner. My house is finally quiet again after a weekend of lovely chaos.

    I love this story of your first date in a small town. It is a great snapshot of all the good and bad of living in a small town. I too envy the $5 movie tickets!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/14/2007 09:21:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by the author.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 3/14/2007 10:08:00 AM  



  • Ok, so don't worry I didn't not feel loved. I did feel a little like when someone sticks out their hand for a handshake but nobody returns the gesture. Doh! But really, I knew it wasn't going to be a big-response post since I didn't ask advice or opinions. Just took longer for that first response than normal. Fun to write about anyway though.

    A spectator--I'm not sure what to do with your reply. If we were good friends I would think you had a hint of good-humored teasing. Since I don't know you and you did a lot of explaining I feel like you think I might have atually "cut" again. I hope you know it was a very uncomfortable moment for me that I'd not care to repeat. And yes, I get the whole small town--everyone will remember type thing.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 3/14/2007 11:37:00 AM  



  • katie, I read your post while still in the drafts, and then I went to CA....so I am back now and ready to comment.

    This was my first thought: You have never been to a bar?

    Should I feel bad that I have been to lots of bars?

    Oops....I have been to lots of Starbucks too.

    Anyway, sounds like you had an adventure, can't wait to hear more about IA.

    And thanks brenbot, for having our backs.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 3/14/2007 11:42:00 AM  



  • I was responing to this from your post:
    "I don't know if I really was in the wrong"

    I just don't think you want to be that kind of person, but it seemed you were still in doubt (as of the time of writing) about what you did. I gave you my former big city, now small town opinion.

    Accept it as good-humored teasing.
    posted by Blogger ESOdhiambo at 3/16/2007 01:48:00 PM  



  • A spectator--yeah, I gotcha. I still don't know if I was wrong, but wrong or not, I wouldn't do it again. Frightful! :)
    posted by Blogger Katie at 3/16/2007 02:45:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home