17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How To: A Baby Book Shower

I threw my first "Baby Book Shower" for Zinone a few years ago with the help of some of the other Tales girls. I threw my second "Baby Book Shower" a few weeks ago for my old college roomate who just happened to move to our same town just weeks after adopting a sweet baby boy. In both cases, the mothers had already been thrown more traditional baby showers by family and old friends so another one of the same just didn't seem right. But, I am never one to pass up on an opportunity to have a party so a Baby Book shower was perfect.

I rememered Zinone's party was a huge success, so I called all the girls involved to help me remember the details (so I could just recreate it withough much extra thought) but no one remembered anything. I swear it was really fun though (the details are just a little fuzzy). So I had to start from scratch and without the help of my party-partner-in-crime.

Invites - I created these in the shape of a long skinny bookmark with a pretty ribbon tied at the top.

Food - Little appetizers, fruit and dessert. And because no one was pregnant at this shower, I got to make my favorite Baked Brie. Gooey, sweet and delicious!

Drink - I got this idea of making customized water bottles here. Sticking with the book theme, I used quotes about babies and made my own labels with Photoshop.

Games - I love games but the traditional baby shower ones can get really old. I prepared two games for this shower (but only used one in the end--you know how women love to gab):

First Line Trivia - Each person had to guess the name of the children's book from hearing only the first line. You can find the questions and answers here.

Baby Name Boggle - Each person had to make up as many words possible using only the letters from the baby's whole name. Points are awarded for length and uniqueness of words.

Gifts - Guests were invited to bring books as their gift to the mother and baby. It was nice to see a range of books given from board books, to picture books, to Aesops fables and other bedtime stories. Even a baby who has everything can always use more books!

Decorations - I'm not very good at decorations so all I did was buy a few "Little Golden Book" classics. I propped up on the table and then gave them to the mother at the end of the night.

It was a fun, easy, unique and useful baby shower to give!

10 Comments:

  • I had friends thow a shower like this for me which I absolutely loved.

    Thanks for all the ideas--especially the water. Very cute.

    Nancy
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/07/2006 09:49:00 AM  



  • I really love this idea and can't wait to use it. Makes me actually EXCITED to throw a baby shower....any takers?
    posted by Blogger Jen at 11/07/2006 02:25:00 PM  



  • I remember one thing I really loved about Zinone's shower was shopping for it! It is so fun to pick out books for little ones. It reminded me of my own childhood and what my favorites were. Very good idea, especially if the mommy already has the essentials. A book is always a GREAT gift.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/07/2006 04:44:00 PM  



  • Awesome ideas--I would love to shop for that shower too. I tell you--this blog has a WEALTH of fantastic info, ideas, poiters...I love it!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 11/07/2006 06:47:00 PM  



  • I absolutely LOVE this idea!!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 11/07/2006 07:22:00 PM  



  • When my second daughter was born, I already had stack of boxes as tall as I am full of baby girl clothes, plus all the basic baby gear. Add that in to the fact that I knew we would be moving soon and really didn't want more stuff to pack, and I needed nothing! I asked my friends to throw me a book shower and it was WONDERFUL. I got some books that are perfect for now (with a 2-year-old and 5-month-old) and some that are aimed more for older children. Gifts that will keep on giving for years to come. I HIGHLY recommend this.
    posted by Blogger Jen Rouse at 11/07/2006 09:59:00 PM  



  • Carrie, that is EXACTLY how our shower us...EXACTLY...good memory.

    but really, sorry I let you down...I remember lots of red tulips but I think Z brought those herself!

    Have we put up a list of our fave children's books yet? We need to.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 11/08/2006 07:52:00 AM  



  • was not us, was
    posted by Blogger Kage at 11/08/2006 07:52:00 AM  



  • What a great idea! I love it.

    Although... I actually misunderstood what you meant by book shower - I read the whole post thinking the idea was to buy the new mother your favorite mothering/babycare book. I have about three shelves of parenting books and my favorite thing to do is loan out my favorites to new moms. But a children's book shower is very cool too.

    Along the lines of showers, my favorite idea was a food shower. Sort of reminiscent of other cultures showering the mother rather than the baby. Everyone brings a dish of their favorite comfort food (desserts or prep'd-ahead meals for the weeks after baby comes). I like this one because women nourish with food (in the good way, e.g. breastfeeding, cooking, etc. - not emotionally hazardous way).
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11/09/2006 08:11:00 AM  



  • homework help hours do my essay for me article writing service providers louisiana live homework help
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/18/2021 05:53:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home