17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, August 03, 2006

What price did you pay for silence?

I apparently paid roughly $10 for silence today.

Let me explain.

I was on a business call this afternoon and escaped to my office away from two crying, screaming, irritable toddlers (3 1/2 and 2). After I finished my phone call I noticed the house was silent. I peeked out the back door and there were my two ruffians, sitting close together on the deck, heads bent over something very important. But they were silent and not hurting each other so I happily went along my way.

5 minutes later my 3 1/2 year old DS opened the back door and HELD it for his sister (that's when I knew something was amiss) so that she could walk in. She was holding an antique red piggy bank that normally sits on my kitchen counter. That's when I noticed the chair propped up next to the counter...and began to put a few things together. The bank had a large chunk missing...and no money inside.

Me: "WHAT are you doing with that bank?"
DS: "We were putting the money away!"
Me: "Where is the money?"
DS" (pointing to the deck)"It's in there"

I walked over to where he was pointing - no money to be found. Of course not. They had deposited all of my scrounged quarters and dimes through the cracks in our deck. And NO, there is no way to get to the change under the deck - it just covers a shallow crawl space.

SO...I paid about $10 for 15 minutes of silence.

What have your lovely little ones been up to when you've been on the phone or otherwise occupied?

12 Comments:

  • LOL! I love this post. I have paid that price many times.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/03/2006 08:14:00 PM  



  • Let's just say after meningitis and a pregnancy my coffee table has every color of the rainbow on it somewhere.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/03/2006 08:16:00 PM  



  • It it so funny that you should mention this today!!
    Just a few hours ago was raking my yard and stepped inside only to find a half a box of Honey Nut Chex crushed ALL OVER the living room floor. How they did that while still managing to watch me, smiling and waving, through the front window, I have no idea.
    posted by Blogger Mo at 8/03/2006 09:11:00 PM  



  • As an after thought,
    Our deposited items usually ended up down the heating vents, in the VCR, or between the components of the computer. We have debit card and a house key that we never did find....
    posted by Blogger Mo at 8/03/2006 09:14:00 PM  



  • Back when I was still regularly changing my son's diaper in the middle of the night, it was always to some very loud shrieking. One night I was throwing his dirty diaper away before putting on the new one (dangerous, I know) when he suddenly stopped crying. I looked to see what was calming him, and found that he had just discovered some new body parts. After that he never cried when his diaper was off. I had mixed feelings: I preferred he kept his hands off, but the happy silence was welcome, especially in the middle of the night. Besides, there wasn't much I could do about it.
    posted by Blogger Brittany at 8/03/2006 10:17:00 PM  



  • Fabulous post! While visiting with a friend at her house, we suddenly realized how long we had been able to chat uninteruppted. We went downstairs to find nearly EVERY toy in her playroom thrown into the corner behind her love seat and chair. We're now very suspicious when it gets quiet in the basement!
    posted by Blogger Corinne at 8/04/2006 03:46:00 AM  



  • I confess to being the one who cost my parents silence. We were driving somewhere, and I was in the back seat with the windows open. I was fascinated by how those little green pieces of paper my mom had in her purse danced and fluttered in the air as I first held them out the window, then watched them fly away.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/04/2006 09:07:00 AM  



  • anon, that is REALLY funny...
    posted by Blogger chloe at 8/04/2006 03:35:00 PM  



  • During the summer, I paid $100 per week for six weeks of day camp, and $75 per week for three weeks of full time child care. The former was busy and interesting but not as much fun for my son (7) as the latter. Because of the latter, I think I have found a new friend, which I would have paid $225 for without child care.

    Considering what I earned during the same time period, it was worth every penny and then some. And my kid had a lot of fun.
    posted by Blogger Ann at 8/04/2006 06:03:00 PM  



  • LOL... that's too funny!!! Thanks for the post :-)
    posted by Blogger Island Queen at 8/07/2006 11:26:00 PM  



  • --I have found my #1 and her friend drawing on each other, their clothes, and my friend's (the other child's mother) couch with PERMANENT marker

    --#3 got into his dad's cologne (this morning...)

    --#2 and #3 got into my MIL's cabinet and decided to spray each other and the floor with soap scum remover (luckily, the damage was minimal and it wasn't ingested)

    --#3 has removed every DVD from their covers

    --Every kind of cereal has been poured all over every type of floor in my house

    --Pencil and marker and crayon and pen on walls (love that Magic Eraser!!)

    And more. :) What's funny is these things usually happen just when I turn my back for 5 minutes.
    Thanks for the post...
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 8/08/2006 08:53:00 PM  



  • Cheryl, that's so funny :) And not - I feel your pain.

    I was packing yesterday for our latest trip and walked out of my bedroom to the smell of ...strawberries? Hmmm, why do I smell strawberries I thought. OH NO. And I ran into the living room to find my two ruffians on the floor cradling a large containter of VERY ripe strawberries, momentarily transfixed by something on Noggin. If I had delayed my arrival by a few more seconds I'm confident they would have had a strawberry party.

    Those two...so cute...so up to no good...
    posted by Blogger chloe at 8/08/2006 09:33:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home