17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Christmas in July

All you experienced mommies out there are probably already aware of what I discovered this weekend, but for all you new ones...here is a great trick this new mom learned. I can't get your baby to sleep through the night, walk at 6 months (not that that would even be a good trick) or be happy when they are teething, but I can tell you how to save a few bucks. My friend just took me shopping at Old Navy's summer clearance sale. Clearance being the key word. She said she buys all of her kids clothes for the next year when things are on sale. Why didn't I think of that? Forty dollars later - here is a list of my loot:
-4 very nice collared shirts (for church, weddings, and other nice occasions)

-9 every day shirts, T-shirts my little boy can play hard in

-2 pair of soft comfy shorts

-2 hats, one for the beach/pool and one cuz it was so cute

-1 swimming suit

-2 pair of shoes

-1 nice pair of shorts

SCORE! So go shop those sales ladies - do your duty as a mom to help this big retail chains move their inventory!

10 Comments:

  • I LOVE doing this too. The only problem some people run into is not being able to accurately predict the size their child will be next year. I have been lucky because my kids have been pretty true to size, but most kids aren't. I always say worst case scenario: If all the stuff you bought doesn't fit your kids come next year: sell the whole lot on ebay. All "new with tags" should bring you back at least half what you spent.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 7/26/2006 09:31:00 AM  



  • Z just went to this sale and tried to get me to go, but I was in the depths of despair because of no power. She spent like a 100 dollars and had a TON of stuff. Way to go girls....I am going to mark 2nd week of July on my calender for next year.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 7/26/2006 09:43:00 AM  



  • Children's Place has the best end of season clearance sales too. We always load up for next year that way.
    posted by Blogger Belle at 7/26/2006 10:44:00 AM  



  • Children's place and Sears generally have clearance at the same time--I go at the end of winter and summer.

    Sizing makes it hard, but I think most of the time you are pretty safe if you get one size up from their age--bigger is better than smaller. Or try to get unisex stuff so someone else can use it.
    posted by Blogger ESOdhiambo at 7/26/2006 01:28:00 PM  



  • I got some good stuff at ON last week too. Shirts for my boys for my friend's wedding (one was 97 cents), new swim trunks so my son can go down the slide at the pool (no rivets are allowed and his previous swim pants had rivets), linen capris for me for about $6.50. In the past when we've gone to Children's Place there is a HUGE line and it hasn't really been worth it.
    posted by Blogger Vicki at 7/26/2006 09:42:00 PM  



  • My daughter is hard to size a year out. So I never know what size to get her, but the sales ar so great I can't just pass them up. So I've ended up buying things that can be used no matter what the weather; t-shirts, jackets, socks, you know, the basics.

    Last year I actually had some summery t-shirts that she barely fit into by october so I just went out and got 4 or 5 white long sleeve shirts and layered them under the t-shirts.
    posted by Blogger Trivial Mom at 7/27/2006 12:45:00 PM  



  • No! More shopping temptation... How can you not buy when it's such a bargain?
    posted by Blogger Legendary Pink Dot at 7/27/2006 03:10:00 PM  



  • And I wasn't invited on this little spree because...? Is it too late to shop this amazing sale? When is the Children's Place sale? I can't believe it's already end of season. WHY? It's just a month into summer and 97 thousand degrees. Do people only shop for this stuff in the spring and then come July it's time for sweaters? Chicken or the egg. We buy what they have on the racks or they have it on the racks because that's what we buy...Either way I sure do love a sale.
    posted by Blogger Krista at 7/27/2006 10:02:00 PM  



  • What great deals! I love Old Navy for the kiddies.
    posted by Blogger Julie at 7/28/2006 07:10:00 AM  



  • You can sign up for coupons for The Children's Place online. The coupons are also good on clearance items. Extra savings!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 7/29/2006 02:15:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home