17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Saturday, August 26, 2006

My top NY Media

By way of tribute to the old gal, NYC, here are my top choices of books and films with NYC themes.

BOOKS
1. The Escape of Marvin the Ape. Fun illustrations of famous NYC spots, and an ostrich who is tricky to find on each page.

2. My name is Asher Lev. This is a book about a Jewish boy in Brooklyn who is a gifted artist, and how he struggles to fit into his community and his strong belief system. Our own jen named her son after Asher, that's how much SHE loved the book.

3. Next Stop Grand Central. This is a really fun children's book that is all about the amazing train station.

4. The Nanny Diaries. To me this book set the standard for the new influx of chick books, only this one was really good and deep in parts. It gives you a look into that world of the wealthy and their nannies.

5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. You can read it for DYM's book club. Takes place in Williamsburg, Francie Nolan lives the American Dream.

FILMS

1. Funny Girl. About a girl from Brooklyn who makes it, and what that costs.

2. In America. A family from Ireland are reeling after the death of their youngest child, move to America and struggle to make their way. There is always a struggle isn't there? This is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen. A highlight is the girls who play sisters are really sisters.

3. Barefoot in the Park. This is a story about my husband and me, in case you wanted to know. Jane Fonda and Robert Redford live in a 5th floor walk up...need I say more?

4. Newsies. I haven't watched this one in a while, but I loved it as a kid. It has a lot of music and a bunch of kids with a crusade.

5. Elf. Will Ferrell crosses the Peppermint Forest to walk through the Lincoln Tunnel and save Christmas for New York and the whole world. I could watch this all year round.

6. New York Doll. A treasure of a documentary that my husband and I discovered. A former member of New York Dolls converts to Mormonism. He serves in the Family History Center and dreams of a New York Dolls reunion. The journey is about him getting his wish, and maintaining his beliefs. A MUST watch for Mormons everywhere.


**You can find all of our past tributes to NYC on the sidebar -->

6 Comments:

  • New York Doll is a great documentary- definate must watch!
    We love that one!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 8/26/2006 09:52:00 PM  



  • Love your list. I need to pick up those children's books at the library. I know Princess would love them. And I have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in my book reading queue.

    I would add ABC, NYC. I's an ABC book with wonderful photographs of NYC. After we read it the first time, princess couldn't stop pointing out all the Watertowers in the city.

    Love, Love, Love Elf. I am giggling just thinking about it.

    THanks again for the list!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/27/2006 03:02:00 PM  



  • I didn't know you loved Elf so much, maybe we can watch it together while on the phone some time...after free minutes start of course. I am just kidding about that actually.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/27/2006 06:35:00 PM  



  • K - Thanks for the nod to Asher Lev.

    My first exposure to literature set in NY was Judy Blume's Tales of 4th Grade Nothing/Fudge series. I think I was in 3rd grade when I read it, and I immediately became fascinated with growing up in the middle of a large city.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 8/28/2006 02:31:00 PM  



  • I think it's so fun to see NYC in movies now that I live here. It's been magical seeing my new home on TV. However, I have recently caught myself thinking, that's just a normal street, when I see a scene in Manhattan. I'm getting used to this place!

    Thanks for the great list--we will have to peruse the book and movie store.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 8/28/2006 08:44:00 PM  



  • Right now the Borders at Time Warner Building (katie, where we just were last week) has a table set up in the KIDS section with a bunch of NYC books, including the one Carrie mentioned...so check it out.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/29/2006 04:55:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home