17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Mentos and a Father's Love



**I didn't get a chance to post this short tribute to my father on Father's Day because I left to drive 12 hours to Utah that morning. So, I am calling a REDO for all Father's Day posts...or at least mine.**

When I was a kid my dad would come home from work, about every other week, with a roll of Mentos in his pocket for me. It was always presented in the same way--half eaten, with the empty part of the tube twisted into a tight little tail.

"Well that's rude" you might say. "Half-eaten?" Yes, that's right, a half-eaten roll of mentos every other week for more than a year.

Sure, he could have bought two rolls--one for him and one for me. He also could have eaten the whole roll himself and brought home nothing. I would never have known (at least not before I noticed the pattern). But, nieither of these options would have meant what the "half-roll" meant to me.

It meant that he thought of me at the gas station when he perused the candy selection at the counter. It meant he knew I wouldn't mind if he shared a few on his drive home (we do, in fact, share the same serious candy addiction). And it meant he loved me enough to stop eating halfway through the roll. I fondly remember the tightly-twisted, empty tail on the roll as a visual representation of the willpower used on my behalf.

People show their love in lots of different ways. Many times, the love "receiver" doesn't understand the "love givers" language which causes all sorts of problems - thus all the self-help books on the subject. But, when it came to my dad and I, there was never any problem at all.

Dad, you may not have ever realized what all those half-eaten rolls of Mentos meant to me. I suspect though, they were always given in the same spirit of love as they were received. Through them and the many other years of "candy sharing" I have always known you loved me.

I love you too.

Wanna share some gummi bears?




9 Comments:

  • LOVE IT!!! You know what I love even more? The fact that I can feel how much love and admiration you have for your dad. Whenever you speak of him, you magically light up. When he is around, you become almost giddy and enamored. It is so sweet!

    Daddy's and their little girls. I am thankful for ALL my dad's as unconventional as that may sound. Great post!
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/25/2006 09:31:00 PM  



  • On winter days when I was in high school, my dad (knowing that I was always running late), would warm up my car and get any ice off the windshield. I would always thank him, but I never truly appreciated it. It means he was thinking about me and looking for ways to take care of me...despite my fierce independence... and not just his own busy day at the office.

    I really love this post....it really is the little things!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/26/2006 08:19:00 AM  



  • This is such a sweet post. Isn't it always the little, seemingly insignificant things that we remember about our parents as we get older?

    My dad made my lunch almost every day through middle and high school and faithfully drove me to seminary every morning. I know it was a sacrifice for him, but he never made it seem that way.

    Hooray for great dads!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 6/26/2006 08:47:00 AM  



  • My Dad gave me a little corner of his beautiful vegetable garden when I was a teenager. I grew flowers from seeds and loved it. I learned later that it meant so much to him to have us share that garden. I was touched when I found out that it was something special to him. My Dad's a great one. So are yours--sweet stories.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 6/26/2006 07:56:00 PM  



  • When my oldest was about 4, she was at the store and bought some candy with daddy. He said that it would be nice if she shared them with Molly. She did math the only way most 4 year olds know how. . .instead of counting them out and dividing, she split each and every candy piece in half.

    Loved the story of you and your daddy--maybe you could send him a "half-roll" every once in a while. . .
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 6/26/2006 08:57:00 PM  



  • Thanks for the F's Day re-do...I posted about my DH here. Also, I learned something about mentos and diet coke this past week...kinda cool.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 6/26/2006 09:51:00 PM  



  • When I was in college my dad spent a lot of time in his car traveling all over our geographically large stake in NJ. He'd make a point of calling me on late night drives home--to keep him awake and to catch up on my life. It was always an honor to spent 45 minutes to an hour on the phone with him, just talking, hearing about his work, his calling, the things he was thinking about. As if he enjoyed my phone company as a friend.
    posted by Blogger sunny at 6/27/2006 09:05:00 AM  



  • When I was little my dad would take my hand when we were somewhere quiet (where we couldn't talk) like in church or before a gymnastics meet and squeeze my hand three times. It meant "I love you"
    I still love when he grabs my hand.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 6/27/2006 09:29:00 AM  



  • kage,
    My cubbies and I experimented with the mentos and soda this month. Warm, diet soda works best. Also, you only have time to get about 10 mentos in before it's too late to escape the sticky geyser...
    I love all the wonderful memories you have about your fathers. It gives me a warm feeling inside even though I never had those moments with my dad. I'm excited to see what our boys remember about dh when they're grown.
    posted by Blogger Mo at 6/27/2006 11:39:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home