17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Chocolate Chips

I have been married for almost 8 years, and much of my kitchen is still stocked with the wedding gifts that we were given back in 1998. Every time I use my small blue pot I think of Donna Evans. Every time I pull out my New Cook Book I think of Mark and Michelle Motley. Every time I use my cutco knife I think of my mom. Everytime I pull out my hand mixer I think of Brittnye Dougherty and that she said: "I can't believe I am giving you a hand mixer at your bridal shower right now" when she gave it to me. I don't remember who gave me my blender, toaster, skillet, pot, rolling pin etc. For some reason some gifts stick out in my mind more than others. I am so grateful that I am reminded of these people every time I use the items. So, what does this have to do with chocolate chips?

One of our tales girls who does NOT contribute (yes there are more than 18 of us), moved (big surprise) about a year ago. She came over and gave me everything in her freezer. Among the items was a costco-size bag of chocolate chips. I never thought I would get through the entire bag, but put them in my freezer anyway. It turns out, chocolate chips are pretty handy to have around. I put them in my pancakes, mixed them with some salty cashews for a late night snack, and gave them to my daughter for bribes. Never once did I put them in a cookie. Every time I went to the freezer to pull out a chocolate chip or two (or thirty), I was reminded of my friend, we'll give her the alias Mother Theresa.

Mother Theresa was a total Utah girl through-and-through. She even requested carpet, washer and dryer, dishwasher and two bedroom apartment in New York for under $1000-...oh Mother Theresa. I was proud of her because she learned about city life so quickly and adapted so well. It was always fun hanging out with her. I really miss her. Those chocolate chips kept her spirit alive for me, and every time I went to the freezer and even laid eyes on the bag of chocolate chips, I thought of her. A few days ago, I ran out of chocolate chips. I was so sad, that I went to Costco to buy another bag in Mother Theresa's honor. Now she will stay alive in my freezer for at least another year.

The point of the post is to promote costco-size bags of chocolate chips as the perfect gift for any occasion: wedding, birthday, going-away, having a baby. It will last a long time (I hope), and with every sweet bite the receiver will think of you, just as I think of my Mother Theresa.


8 Comments:

  • I love this post, Kage. So very sweet!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/21/2006 06:06:00 AM  



  • The only place those chocolate chips would "stay" are on my hips and I would probably grow to hate whoever gave them to me! (just kidding...good read, Kage!)
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/21/2006 11:17:00 AM  



  • Mother Theresa is missed everytime I drive out to Wal Mart. She became my Wal Mart buddy. She also loaded me with some freezer stuff that I still have in there too! Very cute post and very true. That would make a unique gift! That would always be used.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 6/21/2006 01:38:00 PM  



  • I loved this post. It made me think of my mom. She is always popping choco chips throughout the day. At my house, the Costco size bag is in the pantry. We go through it quick enough, there is no need for the freezer.
    Attaching your list of uses to the chips would be great!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 6/21/2006 01:41:00 PM  



  • Good suggestion, I'm going to do it the very next time I go to a shower.
    posted by Blogger annegb at 6/22/2006 05:49:00 PM  



  • Very sweet post. I even got teary when you wrote that the bag ran out.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/23/2006 08:58:00 AM  



  • Everytime I use my Shimmer Brick, I think of Zinone.

    I really love this post, Kage. I always try to give meaningful gifts. I guess it's hard to always predict what will actually have meaning!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/25/2006 05:23:00 PM  



  • I read this on the right day! When you are having a bad day there is nothing better than reading an uplifting story! Thanks Kristy! I still laugh at myself for the list I gave Mike for apartment hunting!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/30/2006 03:51:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home