17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, February 24, 2006

I HEART being a mom in NYC

My tribute to NYC goes a little something like this...1. I stand on Lexington Ave. and 28th st. in Manhattan dumbfounded because I have lost baby's only binky. I stand blocking ped. traffic and look down the block to see if I can see anything white that I dropped. I decide I will go back for it if it is within my sight. I can't see it, I am dismayed and all of a sudden this food delivery guy pops out of nowhere holding it up for me. Thank you! I say...as if he had just given me a diamond ring.

2. I walk up my stairs with baby in the bjorn and my bell rings. A woman says: Did you just walk in your house with a baby? Yes. And instinctively my right hand goes to her right foot to find it is bare...I knew the woman had the bootie. I went downstairs and she was so friendly, she had seen me drop the boot, run after me and then when she turned the corner I had dissappeared. She was going from house to house ringing bells and she found us.

3. I am just about to break my back (again) to walk my stroller up the subway steps, and a guy just grabs it and books it up, leaves it at the top and doesn't even wait for his thank you. I love the guys that ask first and accept the thank you as well...and I especially love the guys who aren't even going that way, and help me up the stairs, only to go back down again.

4. I love the amount of times I hear "God Bless" while walking down the street.

5. My favorite is when the most ghetto/gangsta/whatever you wanna call it guy is on the subway and LIGHTS UP when my baby smiles at him. Classic.

6. I love the joy that my children bring total strangers...every day, every hour, every minute. Seeing a happy child changes peoples energy.

7. I love walking with them.

8. I love that when I pick up baby #1 and start running she immediately says: "Are we catching the bus?" Usually we are.

9. I love that being a mom is my workout.

10. I love that in the workplace I am unique. I always get: Are you the nanny? You have two kids? You look so young... How old are you? Yesterday someone said: How is that you have two kids and you are 26? I replied: Did you not take health in high school? I am worried though that I won't have friends with common interests when I am in my forties... because all the girls will be starting their families just as mine are leaving the house. Maybe I will just have to have another batch in about 15 years. Just kidding DH.

11. I am sitting on the subway and a woman observes me and my two kids for several stops. As she exits she says: "It's nice to see kids with their MOM" (instead of a nanny).

12. I am on the subway with baby #2 on my lap. A man sits nice and close to us and pulls out his playstation and watches "are we there yet?" starring ice cube. Baby leans over and rests her cheek on his arm, settles in to watch a film while we ride. Nothing like your beautiful innocent baby cuddling with a perfect stranger.

11 Comments:

  • What a great post!

    I could write a similar one about the small town I lived in when my kids were toddlers.
    posted by Blogger Susan M at 2/25/2006 08:15:00 AM  



  • I love how babies can turn even the most impersonable people into little puddles of butter. Babies have no care for race, age, or disabilities and have no concern whether or not the person will even smile back, but they always do.
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 2/25/2006 12:05:00 PM  



  • Great post, Kage. Long live NYC moms!

    I just visited my old stomping ground last week on vacation from San Fran and was delighted to find so many great strangers helping and reacting to my kids. NYC really IS a great place to be a mom.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 2/26/2006 10:29:00 AM  



  • Being the disgruntled New Yorker that I am, it was hard for me to believe that I was actually agreeing with you on all your points. I have a poem I have been working on about NY, I will post it in due time. But I may steel a line or two from you.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 2/26/2006 07:43:00 PM  



  • z---steal away
    posted by Blogger Kage at 2/26/2006 08:06:00 PM  



  • We just moved to Queens and my husband calls our daughter the "white rhino" cause everyone acts like they've never seen a baby before..."Is that a real baby in there?"
    posted by Blogger Gibson Doxey Chronicles at 11/20/2006 03:12:00 PM  



  • We just moved to Queens and my husband calls our daughter the "white rhino" cause everyone acts like they've never seen a baby before..."Is that a real baby in there?"
    posted by Blogger Gibson Doxey Chronicles at 11/20/2006 03:13:00 PM  



  • Aaahhh...the 'God Bless [You, Miss]' from the twenty year old Hispanic youth. My husband and I had to learn to prepare for its coming, even amid the weird stares from others (he is 6'3",blonde and rather accomplished looking, and I am decidedly afroed and artsy).

    The tough guy on the train...I ran into him the summer of '05 when I traveled back to NYC with all four of my kids. He never took his eyes off of us, and smiled in a deep, knowing way. I whispered an appreciate 'thank you' in his ear before leaving the car.

    Do people really substitute the share-my-paper-with-you gesture with the kid movie? Wonderful!

    Enjoy!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 12/01/2006 11:42:00 PM  



  • I know this post is, what, a year and a half old, but I was just directed to your site by a friend because my husband and I just found out that we're moving to NYC (and most likely to Queens) in a few weeks. A month ago I gave birth to my first baby, and this impending move -- to a place I've never been to before -- scares me. But I have to say - this post made me cry and made me realize that raising a baby in NYC can actually be an amazing experience. Thank you.
    posted by Blogger Lindsay at 7/31/2007 07:51:00 AM  



  • I just read this for the first time, and I am seriously in tears. You are so grateful in your writing, not just here, but on your blog too, and I love it!
    Thanks for the sweet sentiments!
    (Makes me want to look at my own "mommy-dom" differently and really appreciate!)
    posted by Blogger onehm at 10/06/2007 09:31:00 AM  



  • Kudos to NYC moms for juggling motherhood with all the chaos the city has to offer! If any of you you are struggling with naps, bedtime, sleep transitions, night weaning, changing sleep associations, moving babies/toddlers to another bedroom, or chronic night waking for toddlers, should think about sleep coaching. You can get 50% off a four week private sleep coaching program ($390 value for $195) with Mommywise at http://www.savymamas.com. Deal ends on Sunday. Hope it helps!
    posted by Anonymous Savy Mamas at 8/17/2011 03:51:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home