17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Just call me Birth Control

I spent this past weekend visiting an old friend from college, and of course brought my crazy little guy with me. My friend has just recently gotten engaged, and will get married this summer, and she and her soon-to-be-hubby are planning on starting a family quite soon.

The reason I post? I'm not sure they should be exposed to children like mine. Seriously. My parents always say that I would be 5 years older were it not for my particularly insane cousin, who they affectionately nicknamed "birth control". How can two dewy-eyed, dreamy (soon-to-be) newlyweds possibly benefit from exposure to the kind of insanity I have (re)produced in Max?

Example of why people like me should be kept away from those thinking of having children:

Friend: "I know I'll have my own share of troubles with mine soon enough!"
Me: "No, yours will be beautiful and perfect little angels. You'll never call me saying 'Marian, he keeps smearing his poop all over the walls, what do I do?'"
Friend, with horrified look on face: "They do that?"
Me: "Ohhhhh, honey, why did you think I put Max to sleep with his jammies on backward every night?"

Maybe I should just forward her the link to fMhLisa's poop chronicles and get it over with...

9 Comments:

  • I think it's great. The more you know, the better prepared you can be. Like a mission. If all you have ever heard are the conversion stories and miracles from missionaries, you'll be shocked and depressed when you arrive and spend hours, days, weeks, possibly months knocking on doors and being rejected. Your friend should thank you for helping her prepare for parenthood:)
    posted by Blogger Erin at 1/19/2006 05:50:00 PM  



  • I used to come into contact with a lot of people who said they never wanted to have kids. I always told them if they met mine, they'd change their minds. I really do have great kids. :)
    posted by Blogger Susan M at 1/19/2006 06:09:00 PM  



  • pajamas on backwards...what a great idea. Glad you saved Max from his free-fall.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/19/2006 07:34:00 PM  



  • My daughter is only one and not yet a pill and, I have to admit, quite attractive. So far, I have only had people tell me that she made them want to have kids ( I have literally had this comment dozens of times, including from men and YM in my branch).

    I am sure the tide will turn. Soon.
    posted by Blogger ESOdhiambo at 1/19/2006 07:54:00 PM  



  • Oh don't get me wrong, my son has his adorable side. He has waaaay more spunk than anyone should have in a little body. And sometimes it comes out in incredibly cute ways, and sometimes it comes out in incredibly frustrating/dangerous/disgusting ways. I guess I have to put up with one to get the other.
    posted by Blogger marian at 1/19/2006 08:16:00 PM  



  • It's true that the more you know the better off you'll be. Nobody-- and I mean, NOBODY --told me how crazy the first 6 weeks after delivery would be. I had no clue! If I had even been a little prepared for it, I don't think the postpartum would have dived in the way it did....(at least I knew for #2 and #3!)

    Second thought, however, if I had known what toddler-hood was REALLY like, I might have waited a little longer...

    Ahh, who am I kidding?!?? Of course I wouldn't have waited. Let your friend know all about the terror that comes with the joy and then let her know that it doesn't matter --you'll love your kids no matter what.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 1/20/2006 06:36:00 AM  



  • My daughter re-decides not to get pregnant every time she spends time around two year olds.
    posted by Blogger annegb at 1/20/2006 06:54:00 AM  



  • Our first calling after dh Ed and I got married was "co-sunbeam teachers". They were a weekly reminder for us to use birth control our first year of marriage!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 1/20/2006 08:11:00 AM  



  • That's a really good point, Brandolyn. I know that I'm guilty of negative comments too often and really, I don't mean it. I adore my kids and have no desire for life without them. Thanks for the reminder.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 1/25/2006 09:44:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home