17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sports Obsessions, Emergency Rooms and Single-Motherhood

As much as I love watching figure skating and cheerleading competitions (and yes, those are sports) nothing can compare to the sports obsessions of the male variety. I also know this is absolutely not unique to my home. For my dh, the sport of Supercross trumps all. I really do try hard to be a "good wife" and be supportive. I listen to his recaps of the races. I can list the top racers by name. I have dressed my daughters in tiny little racing jerseys. I have gone with him to a few races. On occasion, I even wear the jersey that was given to me by dh’s best man as a wedding present (which was cleverly wrapped in a Victoria’s Secret box). It is actually not a bad sport to be obsessed with. It’s far more exciting to watch than any game involving a ball and both the girls and I look pretty cute in our jerseys.

Here is the problem.

My dh’s obsession with Supercross does not end at watching the sport. He lives for riding dirtbikes. I have even tried to be supportive of this. I have gone out to the track, I have cheered him on when he makes a good jump, I have even learned how to jump a 4-wheeler and ride a dirtbike myself. But (and here is where the emergency rooms come in), Supercross is a dangerous sport. It involves launching a heavy, fast moving machine into the air, hoping to have a smooth landing when you hit the ground. I have been to the emergency room with my dh 3 times because of dirtbike related accidents. Two of the three times have resulted in surgery, extended hospital stays and lengthy recoveries which have undoubtedly been hard on me and the rest of the family (this is when I start thinking those “ball sports” don’t sound so boring). Some of you out there might be saying – that’s it, just say "No more motorcycles. It's what is best for the family." Dh has even said those very words to me soon after each accident (though he has since recanted the statement claiming it was the pain meds talking). I wish the problem ended there, but it doesn’t.

This month we are going to be moving from NYC to LA. In NYC we own zero cars. In LA we are going to need two modes of transportation- one for each of us. We are buying a nice mini-van for me (I love minivans!) but dh wants to get – I think you can guess-- a motorcycle. Just thinking about him riding a motorcycle to work every day makes my heart sink. All I can think about is all the horrible things that could happen to him. All doctors call the things "donor mobiles" for heaven's sake! And based on my experience, I don't find the nickname too much of an over-exaggeration. But for some reason, I just can’t stand up and say “Absolutely no more motorcycles!” It has a little bit to do with the money we would save by buying a motorcycle instead of a car and also the fact that his commute downtown would probably be cut in half which means more time at home with me and the girls but that's not really it. Honestly, here is the biggest reason I can't say no: there is this twinkle in his eye and a certain special grin that comes only when he is riding a motorcycle. These uber-dangerous, killing machines bring my dh pure joy. How can I ever take that away?

I know what it is like to be really passionate about something. I would hate to separated from my passion especially by someone I love. But I really don’t want to live every day with the fear of becoming a single-mom.

Even if dh decides himself against a motorcycle for his choice of transportation in LA, they will always be in our lives. Our children will probably ride dirtbikes. They will probably crash and have to go to the hospital themselves. How will I ever overcome the fear?

14 Comments:

  • Just think of two words: Insurance Money. Just kidding. He's probably gonna be ok. He will try to be as safe as he can when he is riding to and from work, it's not like he will be doing big jumps during his commute.

    But it would be nice if the decision was on HIM and not YOU as to whether or not he thinks it is responsible as the only male and father of the family, to go out and ride a dirt bike every day. How about a nice KIA instead?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/10/2006 01:12:00 PM  



  • My husband's a skateboarder/bmxer/snowboarder/surfer, and the only reason he hasn't gotten into dirt biking is that we've never been able to afford it.

    Southern Cali is a haven for motocross. Your husband is going to LOVE it. Once you get out of the city, there's nothing but dirt. (To the east--the desert.)

    Have you ever been here (to LA) before? It's legal for motorcycles to ride in between car lanes here. The people who commute on motorcycles, when they get stuck in a traffic jam, start going in between lanes. It's sketchy and completely crazy.

    We have a good friend who was in a very serious accident on his motorcycle, almost died, went through years of surgeries and recovery, and will never be back to normal again (crushed his leg, among other injuries). So I tend to be very anti-motorcycle (at least in the city--I'm more ok with it in rural, flat areas). My husband is still very pro-bike, though. If he wanted to get a street bike, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd try to discourage him from it, but I don't know if it'd work. He is a very good driver and motorcycle rider--very skilled, I wouldn't worry about him doing something dangerous and getting hurt. But my friend that was hit was totally blindsided, there was nothing he could've done to prevent it.

    My husband recently was talking to me about us getting our soon-to-be 16 year old a motorcycle. I told him no way. I said if something happened I'd never be able to live with the fact that it happened on a motorcycle *we* had given him. I'd completely go mental and never recover. He said, what if I just gave him one, not you? I said, If something happened, I'd completely go mental and never recover--and I'd divorce you, too.

    I think he thought I was kind of joking.
    posted by Blogger Susan M at 1/10/2006 02:30:00 PM  



  • I am on the other end of you dilemma.

    I am obsessed with horses. Not just the on weekend ride your horsey friend kind of obsessed, but 5 am, ride 9 horses a day, own 7 pairs of spurs obsessed. Before I had kids I was a horse trainer, and I LOVED it.
    I made my poor husband brand cattle while wearing boots and wranglers. I came home from work many times with chunks of flesh missing, hoof sized bruises, and while I was pregnant with my first child I was dragged (is that proper english)across a mountain top and knocked unconcious. The mountain just happened to be in the middle of nowhere. I ended up with a major concussion, a nightmare ride in a ambulance, cat scans, some stitches and a freaked-out hubby.
    Even after all that, I still want to ride. I even dream about it.
    I have however, for the sake of my family, quit riding full time. I don't want them to suffer because I have this dangerous passion. I have stopped riding "crazy" horses, and I ride a lot less. I don't want to completely give up what I love, but my family is so much more important. There have been many "talks" about what was most important to me.(before I had kids)
    If my husband said never again, I... (I can't think of what I would do; but it would be a sad day.) It hasn't come to that but, I have come to terms with the idea that my life is fragile and (sadly)I am not She-ra. I want to see my kids grow up ,not be a Christopher Reed repeat. It has been hard to cut back, but I want my husband to feel like I am not hurrying to death's door.
    I think Kage is right; maybe he should get a Kia instead.
    posted by Blogger leakysieve at 1/10/2006 04:09:00 PM  



  • My sister and her husband just bought dirtbikes for their entire family--one for each person (they have 4 kids). They live in AZ and LOVE riding together. My youngest sister also goes with them a lot. I suppose they're relatively safe--riding "family" style. The youngest is 5. I hear of their minor (compared to your dh's) injuries (so far) and it already freaks me out. I don't know how my Mom can stand it, living so close and having her daughters/grandkids getting hurt. I can't imagine if it was my own husband and it was so much more serious. I think Abby's experiences are really relavant to your dh's, Carrie. I'm impressed Abby's been able to find a balance she can live with. Ha--I guess that has a double meaning. I'd definitely have him read her response. And no, getting through traffic faster is never worth the danger you are submitting yourself to. My brother was in a "you're lucky you're alive" motorcycle accident years ago and has never owned one since.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 1/11/2006 07:00:00 AM  



  • Yeah, Katie and Abby make some excellent points....I think you need to find a compromise with him that will keep YOUR worrying to a minimum. Maybe it's either riding to work OR on the weekends???

    In my opinion, once you have a family, doing things that involve a high-risk of injury can go from fun and exciting to selfish.

    I know your dh well enough to know that he is passionate about LOTS of things he does....and you'll be in CA....can you divert his passions to other adrenaline highs but less crazy stuff like mnt biking, skiing, surfing....probably not, but you never know!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 1/11/2006 08:13:00 AM  



  • Think of it on the positive side: with gas prices the way they are, financially, a motorcycle can't be all that bad. Better than the not-so-efficient (but really quite wonderful to drive) minivan.

    Good luck.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 1/11/2006 12:19:00 PM  



  • Well, Carrie, it sounds like you're not willing to give up the twinkle that he gets from motorcycles. Hey, life is all about trade-offs. We take some risks because they make us feel good.

    Of course, you can minimize those risks somewhat. Make sure he buys the safest bike available; rides with a helmet; gets regular maintenance done; etc. He won't exactly be Steve McQueen riding around with the wind in his hair, but he'll be quite a bit safer that way.

    Good luck negotiating this one. Every couple negotiates these things differently. For some of us, our bad habits -- at least, the publicly known ones -- only extend to blogging. Mardell sometimes gives me hell about wasting too much time on blogs. If I ever wanted to ride dirt bikes, she'd probably shoot me. Either that, I suppose, or she'd love it.

    So is Todd going to be one of those people hanging out at the dunes at Yuma who we drive past every time we go to Arizona? They all seem to have RV's. Maybe you'll want to skip the minvan and get an RV instead.
    posted by Blogger Kaimi at 1/11/2006 01:02:00 PM  



  • Sorry, but I am going to be the total killjoy and say that you have to say "No motorcycles." I'm a speech pathologist, and injuries to people who ride motorcycles do not just involve limbs. Head injuries are no fun. I have seen young people have their lives changed forever, and I mean forever, when they have had head injuries from motorcycle accidents. I have treated many, many people who have no memory, no impulse control, no safety judgement, who think they are at a mall when they are indeed in a hospital, people who can't talk at all, who can't read, or can't remember what they read, or who can't figure out what to do with a checkbook. A head injury is not just a bump on the head. It can, and does, completely alter
    a person's personality, and it doesn't come back. If the head injury is bad enough, it prevents people from working, from leading a functional life, and totally forget about being able to leave your kids with him. He will no longer be a functional Daddy.

    Sorry, but the risks are so very high with motorcycles, and I'd be very hard pressed to hear an argument for a motorcycle that outweighs these risks. "It's just so fun" just doesn't cut it in my book.
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 1/11/2006 02:21:00 PM  



  • I have to agree with this last statement, Carrie. And yes, a lot of it has to do with the fact that you are family. Okay, all of it has to do with the fact that you are family. I remember how awful it was when Todd was hurt in Utah...and seeing the x-rays....shudder....

    Okay, so here's the deal (well, my deal). You tell Todd he can ride his bikes recreationally on nice dirt bike places where there are no cars or pavement. He can ride the train to work. :) :) Seriously though, your fears aside, make him think about the implications any future accident could have on his kids. They deserve to have a father not only alive, but functional as well...
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 1/12/2006 06:42:00 AM  



  • I can identify with this one -- my husband got a motorcycle while we lived in LA with the plan of riding it to work through crazy LA traffic. Now that we're in Utah he's excited to get another one and be able to ride here without helmet laws! And of course our little boy will be out riding with daddy. I just pray more heavily than I ever have before.
    posted by Blogger Legendary Pink Dot at 1/13/2006 09:22:00 AM  



  • These last two comments are especially sobering and well said. I'm all for following your passions and dreams too. But...he's got a family that depends on him emotionally and financially. This isn't the time to mess with that.
    posted by Blogger chloe at 1/19/2006 02:25:00 PM  



  • Inside my kitchen cabinet I tape things that inspire me...not sure why it is in my kitchen cabinet. Anyway, on a tiny piece of paper is the question: Do I have enough risk in my life to stay alive? This is one of my mantras. However, my definition of risk isn't quite as risky as cheerleading or motorcycle-riding. Rollerblading without a helmut is more my speed.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/19/2006 05:06:00 PM  



  • Sorry it had taken me so long to respond to everyone's great comments (I just got back from CA where I was looking for our new crib - neighborhood and house that is). The wide diversity of advice has at the very least convinced me that the internal struggle I have been gong through is not so wacky. People are obviously divided on the matter. Thanks to Camille and her comment:

    "I don't think there is really anything you or I can do or say to keep them from their dangerous interests. We can however pray for their safety and pray for the gift of disernment to know when we need to put our foot down. Praying for a little wisdom for them won't hurt either. :) "

    It was the only advice that gave me a little peace, which is exactly what I was looking for.

    Turning to God for peace. What a concept. And yet praying for discernment and wisdom on the subject never entered my mind. My prayers are usually more along the lines of "Please God, don't let him kill himself today."
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/20/2006 06:54:00 AM  



  • Oh and honey, thanks for your comments too. The next time I feel like cheerleading my way into downtown LA, I am really going to think twice.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/20/2006 06:55:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home